– Eberle got selected to the All Star game, should be a nice little bonus on his pay cheque.
– Rumors abound about Hemsky being traded (booo personally) and Gagner being on the block (boo again). I wouldn’t do either unless you have a current top 4 D man coming back. Some other rumor monger is saying that there is interest in Peckham and Sutton too. What kind of rebuild trades away kids too?
– All Star teams were picked, Eberle got selected by Team Chara. Couture ended up being picked last, and apparently got a old person car. Datsyuk was picked first, cause he’s pretty fucking awesome.
– Tim Thomas was a right wing nut bag, but meh. I would have personally loved to have gone to meet Obama and see the white house, but then again I’m Canadian and I’d be like a fucking tourist. “Look! That’s where JFK banged the shit outta Monroe!”
– Ovechkin got suspended 3 games for a high hit, and subsequently removed himself from the All Star festivities.
– Puck Daddy has an interesting contributor called The Player, who is a current player and offers some insight to the game. My guess is it is a college grad, and union rep. Since I am Oilers biased, I’m guessing Horcoff.
Continue reading 'All Star Monday Morning Standings'»
The team in general was terrible against Calgary, specifically the power play. Much was made of this online, but specifically how Renney had the 4th line out against Iginla right after an Oilers goal (not a great use of home ice advantage) and how Belanger is manning the point on the power play. Renney addressed the Belanger question today in one of the local rags, saying that they need the left hand shot out there and how Belanger has a bomb. Personally, I’m not going to get too worked up how the team played in just the one game, but if it starts to become a recurring thing we might have a problem; O’Marra got called up and sent back in the past week; Apparently Lowe and Burke were going to fight in a barn…couldn’t make this shit up.
A great story in the NY Times regarding Boogaard here, found the first 2 really good, 3rd one was well done but got a little preachy for my tastes; Re-alignment was the big deal yesterday and today, see our post on that here, or yahoo’s link with a handy pic of the new conferences, and also see the nhl link about how the standings would have worked out last year (including highlighting the depressing number of points the Oilers got last year) and what it looks like this year if the playoffs were to start today; Tootoo suspended 2 games for running Miller; The internet traded Iginla, Luongo and Ryan; Dec 14th people…set your PVR’s people, HBO’s 24/7 is coming!; Was Carlyle fired last MMS? Well, he is now; And Perron returned after his year long fight with concussion symptoms.
Question of the week:
Do you think the Shanaban’s are preventing injuries, cleaning up the league or making the league suitable for a bunch of pussies?
Continue reading 'Monday Morning Standings'»
Couldn't decide between Zooey Deschanel or Olivia Wilde...so we chose both.
Hey Everyone, I’m sure that a game day will come up soon (as Racki just waits until I post something), but I figured I’ll get a MMS up and out.
As for the Oilers, they looked great against San Jose. Best game I’d seen in a long long time.
As for this talk of trading Hemsky, well, its stupid. You do not trade good players on beauty contracts. Well, not if you are a good, smart, intelligent person…jury is still out on Tambellini however. Same with that reporter saying Gagner is in play! Really!
Continue reading 'Monday Morning Standings – Busy at Work Edition'»
Well these will be the standings until the beginning of March, however I will continue to use the space to highlight what has happened at the Olympics as well (and not just hockey).
The Oilers…well, they are just not that good. Its going to be a super interesting right after the Olympic break, but I am starting to think that we might not see that much movement from the Oil. Not because Tambellini isn’t trying, I just think the other GM’s are vultures and want picks from us to take bad contracts. Pisani and Comrie are good to go for picks, Souray, Cogliano, Grebber Grabber are all mentioned as well and they should land prospects and picks, but I don’t see the others going away. Now the off season might be a different story, but thats just what I see.
Now on to the standings, and keep reading for a recap of the Canadian Olympic results to date.
Continue reading 'Monday Morning Standings…and Olympic Highlights'»
Rare photo of Tambellini attempting to run this team.
Oh crap am I tired. Hockey game last night started at 11:15 and I didn’t get home until 1:30am.
In other news, the Oilers have decided that just being bad isn’t good enough anymore. They want to descend to a special sort of shit. I can’t wait for the Olympics to start so I can watch some good hockey again. We have become the free bingo spot (I think thats how the saying goes). Embarrassing. I wonder how (or if even) the other GM’s stifle their laughter when Tambellini calls.
Continue reading 'Monday Morning Standings'»