Back from vacation, saw Racki get married off (he mentioned it in the comments somewhere, figure it’s safe for talking about), indulged in Vegas for a few days and then went to San Francisco for the weekend to catch a USC and 49er game. And you think Oiler fans are intense!
None the less, it appeared the Oilers had hit the bottom, and have recently attempted to make themselves respectable. Two straight wins, granted against shite quality teams, and looking at a very beatable team tomorrow. Something made me think they were not as bad as the first games have indicated, and we all know they are not as good as yesterday shows, so I’m guessing they’ll settle in around 20th place in the league by seasons end. Let’s make that my official prediction for the rest of the year.
Lots of Oiler news:
– Larianov bitched to the media about Yak’s icetime, which created a mini-firestorm where Yak was asked if he was happy about it and he said no. Honestly the less said about this non-item the better. I mean, come on. Dude wants to play, and it isn’t him asking for his way out.
– Smid was traded, and to the Flames no less. It seems Mac-T has put the team on notice that if things don’t get better quickly, he’ll trade all remaining defense away. I don’t like the trade, and the only way I think this becomes a win is if Brossoit becomes an actual #1 goalie which I’m not sold that he can be. But he was awesome on the Oil Kings.
– And apparently with the cap room freed up by that trade, Bryzgalov was signed to a deal to shore up the goaltending. Honestly, I didn’t think that Dubnyk would continue to shit the bed like he had been but at the price I don’t see this as an issue. If he returns to his Phoenix/Anaheim years I think he’ll help this team. Certainly a better quote.
– Mac-T had a state of the union address. I agree with pretty much all of what he said. In short (as I heard it), the team sucked but he won’t trade the good bits for a quick fix. While it sucks that the team is spending another year getting railed by real NHL teams, sending out talent in an attempt to save this year isn’t what is needed. Further, he mentioned that defense is what is needed, and while this isn’t a shock to anyone who pays attention to the team, it’s a positive to finally have Oiler management echo that sentiment.
– Arcobello has been told to apartment up. Good news for the little guy. Even though his waiver eligibility makes him the target of paper moves, he has definitely earned a spot on this team.
– All that said, the team is still in a terrible spot and I’d like to see a solid 2nd quarter of the season to show us that they are trending upwards and not just becoming the Islanders/Panthers/Thrashers of the west.
– Buffalo cleaned house and turfed their GM, bringing in Pat Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalafontaine as their President of Hockey Operations (Kevin Lowe position) and Ted Nolan as their interm coach. Glad to see Nolan get another shot.
– Versteeg has been traded back to the Blackhawks, with Florida eating half of his contract (and cap hit) for the rest of his deal. I’d love it if Mac-T would start targeting cap/cash strapped teams and get players like this.
– Quick is hurt! Scrivens is playing lights out! I wonder who the Toronto goalie scout is cause seriously, with Rask, Scrivens and Reimer I’d like to see who he thinks is the next one. Or do they just draft a lot of goalies and hope for the best?
– Stamkos broke his leg. Now we can pretend we care about Tampa and what’ll happen to their season, but really, who will replace him on team Canada? I mean, that takes one hell of a triggerman away from Crosby.
– Chelios, Shanahan, Niedermayer, Shero (deceased) and Heaney were all inducted into the Hall of Fame. Still no Burns.
– East is still a joke compared to the West.
– I’m sure there’s more stuff but meh. Go Seahawks!
Anyways, on to the standings (and fight video, and Oil Kings):
Continue reading 'Monday Morning Standings'»