Posts tagged: Gagner
As per the Oilers site (thanks Metal&Oil for the heads up in the comments):
The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with goaltender Devan Dubnyk and defenceman Jeff Petry on two-year contracts.
Also, as per Elliotte Friedman:
Salary arb filers: Bonino (ANA), McGinn (COL), Bachman/Fistric (DAL), Quincey (DET), Gagner (EDM), Versteeg (FLA), Diaz (MON)…
Wonder what he gets awarded, or do you think he signs beforehand?
- Gagner keeps scoring. And lost among all of the noise is that Eberle is currently 8th in league scoring. Some good players on this team.
- But as Justin Bourne points out here, we have some real special players. And not in a good way.
- Nuge was hit and is out for another 7 to 10 days.
- Like his opinion or not, you have to admit Mc79hockey‘s new banner is pretty awesome.
- But I do happen to like his opinion (and BlackDogHatesSkunks) on Hemsky. Seems silly to run him out of town like he has been. And why people think that one bad year means his career is done.
- Next year, the outdoor game will be going to Detroit. And will include the Laffs.
- Not NHL, but the Giants won the super bowl. I lost money.
- Gomez hasn’t scored in over a year!
Continue reading 'Monday Morning Standings'»
13. After his eight-point night, all we heard about Sam Gagner was he is too small and can’t skate. Good thing for Chicago, otherwise he might have scored 15.
14. In all seriousness, one of the biggest problems with guys like Gagner is people focus solely on what he can’t do or isn’t, as opposed to what he can do or is. Generally, I agree that one night shouldn’t change a team’s opinion of someone, but an evening like that should at least make you pause. If you put him with good players, he can make things happen. That kind of skill is not easy to find.
15. Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau is kind of similar. He’s a good fit for John Tavares and clearly is happy. When the two are together, good things happen for the Islanders. Kind of surprised they haven’t extended him yet, because he could be a good complimentary piece in a lot of places.
16. Remember: any extensions for Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle wouldn’t take effect until 2013-14. So, if you don’t get the deal you want for Gagner, you can handle another season at a bigger number. The one word that should scare the Oilers: arbitration. Gagner’s agency hired a very smart guy (Danny Tolensky), who constantly throws out stats on his Twitter feed that arbitrators love. (Example: “In the last 25 games Gagner has had a point on 42 per cent of Edmonton’s goals and has been on the ice for 57 per cent” or “200 career points for Gagner. Only Kane has more pts from the 2007 draft. Next on the list has 162 pts, only seven in total are over 100.”)
Also, Magnus Paajarvi has been recalled from the Oklahoma City Barons to replace Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who is expected to be out for 7-10 days. I would expect to see him on the second line with Horcoff and Hemsky.
Sam Gagner made history tonight tying a record once held by two former Oiler greats Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey. Sam Gagner scored 4 goals and 4 assists tonight for an unreal 8 point performance. He even fittingly earned 1st, 2nd and 3rd star at Rexall… something I’ve never heard before. Fantastic friggen game.
You people who have come to the Foil have always known how much I liked Gagner and support him, but this is superhumanly good. Teams are going to be knocking down the door to trade for him, which is kind of unfortunate. I really never wanted to see him go, so I hope Steve Tambellini has the brains to hang on to him (save for a huge trade that brings us a glorious defenseman). However, you know that this will fuel the trade talk a little bit more… it’s just one game… but it’s also one hell of a game that we haven’t seen in more than 2 decades in any arena.