Oilers re-sign Yann Danis (1-year) and Ryan Smyth (2yr @ $2.25M/year)
I think the Smyth contract is good. We know he’s at the tail end of his career, but in the early half of the year he looked really good. After December, he slowed way down. But there are signs he can still play. He was a very good penalty killer for us last year. I think that alone is worth the $2.25M, but I suspect we’ll get a vet line (either with Horcoff and Hemsky, or Horcoff and Jones) and they’ll pitch in around 50 goals combined.
Ralph Krueger apparently talked to Smyth and also let him know he’ll have a different role this year. I.e., he won’t be a top six player.. he’ll be a support player, playing “a more versatile role rather than top six minutes.” (per Joanne Ireland)
Edit: Also now add Darcy Hordichuk to the mix.. 1 year deal.
Now I gotta see that movie Haywire
- Gagner keeps scoring. And lost among all of the noise is that Eberle is currently 8th in league scoring. Some good players on this team.
- But as Justin Bourne points out here, we have some real special players. And not in a good way.
- Nuge was hit and is out for another 7 to 10 days.
- Like his opinion or not, you have to admit Mc79hockey‘s new banner is pretty awesome.
- But I do happen to like his opinion (and BlackDogHatesSkunks) on Hemsky. Seems silly to run him out of town like he has been. And why people think that one bad year means his career is done.
- Next year, the outdoor game will be going to Detroit. And will include the Laffs.
- Not NHL, but the Giants won the super bowl. I lost money.
- Gomez hasn’t scored in over a year!
Continue reading 'Monday Morning Standings'»