We’re a few weeks into the new season, and it’s already been somewhat of a train wreck/tire fire. The team is sitting 5 points out of a playoff spot (although I really have no idea what with the new division/playoff setup), and as Elliotte Friedman mentioned that in the last few years (since the advent of the loser point) being out of a playoff spot by November 1st doesn’t bode well for making the playoffs.
That said, I don’t think the Oilers have played poorly (well, they didn’t to start) it’s just they didn’t get good goaltending, and once that showed up the team started to suck.
Lots of Oiler news:
– Hall hurt his knee and is out for 4 weeks. Wasn’t a dirty hit at all in my opinion, just unlucky. None the less, not a good time for it.
– Ryan Smyth is also hurt and out a week. Not as big of a loss, however he was playing very well prior to the injury.
– Mike Brown was traded to San Jose for a 4th rounder. This is great as players like him are usually available on the waiver wire.
– Arcobello has played well with 10 points in his first 10 games. Not too shabby.
– Hemsky is still awesome.
– Pitlick and Eager were both called up and played last game. I’m surprised Eager made a game as Gazdic seems to have replaced him, Brown and MacIntyre but what do I know. Not sure why Omark hasn’t been called up as he has been getting points.
– Gagner is closer to return and we should be seeing him soon. This will be a good thing.
– I have been working the election, so I have been unable to follow the league at all. I have no idea what has been going on (it was hard enough to follow the Oilers).
– I do know the Sharks have been awesome, and Joe Thornton is a great quote. He’s been a favorite for a while, but that makes him even greater.
– Oh, and I know the West has been kicking the East’s ass. But that’s par for the course really.
Anyways, on to the standings (and fight video, and Oil Kings):
It’s early but as you can see, the new division/playoff thing looks interesting. And the Oilers are right where they usually are. We are below Calgary for fuck’s sake. What’s up with the Avs?
These standings look all sorts of messed up. Detroit in them, Toronto up high, Philly in last. What’s going on?
Fight of the Week
Jamie Benn can fight?
Raiders in their usual 5/6 spot.
The Barons currently sit 5th in the west with 7 points in 8 games played. Omark leads the team in points with 6 points (3 goals) in 8 games. Richard Bachman Overdrive has played most the games, posting a 0.932 SV%.
Currently watching the Oil Kings play as we speak, and they are just polishing off a 3-1 victory over the Warriors. They currently sit in 8th play in the Eastern conference with 13 points in 13 games. I’m a new season ticket holder, so I was kind of hoping for a better season but I think they’ll turn it around.
Samuelsson leads the team in scoring with 21 points (6 goals). Lazar and Reinhart just got returned to the team so that should help a great deal.
Jarry is the starting goalie, and while off of his level that he played at last year is putting up a 0.901 SV%.
3 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.