L – Oilers 4, Jets 5 – Game 1 – 2013-10-01 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Winnipeg Jets
logo vs logo
0-0-0 Record 0-0-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 1, 2013 @ 8:00PM MST
TV: CBC

The Edmonton Oilers kick off their season tonight at home against the Winnipeg Jets.  They do so with their newly named captain(14th) Andrew Ferrence.  He has exhibited great leadership from the day he stepped into the dressing room and has been a great asset to the community outside of the rink since his arrival.  He’s homegrown and seems to be a perfect fit to help guide our youth.

Aside from Ference, the Oilers have added a number of new players to the lineup this season.  More notably David Perron, Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu up front.   Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov on D and Labarbera to back-up / share the load with Devan Dubnyk.  More recently the Oilers have also added Steve MacIntyre and Luke Gazdic to up the team toughness.

With Gagner out for some time still and Nugent-Hopkins still without the green light, Mark Arcobello will be standing in to fill an empty slot at center.  Taylor Hall has played most of the pre-season at the pivot as well centering Hemsky and Smyth.  He’s done a decent enough job that management hasn’t felt the need to shop the market for a stop gap.

Depth wise there was some good battling for the last few roster spots through the pre-season which is a welcome change.  Nice to know there is a competitive drive and that if anyone falters we have some usable pieces that can rotate in.

The new head coach Dallas Eakins has been a big part of that.  Coming in from the Marlies organization everyone essentially had a clean slate, and with it Eakins expected everyone to earn a spot.  He may be the biggest off season acquisition that this team has made.  He’s brings high expectations in and will play no favorites.  Fitness is a big part of his philosophy and he won’t tolerate anyone doggin it out there.

A lot of really positive moves have been made, so if this team gels, we might actually be able to start planning the parade route this year.  The welcome back to the playoffs parade…  I think we’ve all earned it!

Tonight’s game against the Jets is the first meeting in a while, aside from pre-season.  Re-alignment has brought them back west and the two teams did not play each other during last year’s abbreviated season.

Line-Ups :

Sam Gagner (broken jaw)
Steve MacIntyre (knee)
Denis Grebeshkov (groin)
Corey Potter (back)
David Perron (illness)

Jets

Dustin Byfuglien (lower body)
Zach Bogosian (undisclosed)

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

13 Responses to “L – Oilers 4, Jets 5 – Game 1 – 2013-10-01 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

1. dawgtoy says:

Go Oilers Go. A strong October will be needed under dire circumstances, but I believe. Playoffs or bust!

dawgtoy:

Yah, this is definitely a big test. October and November will be very difficult months and easy for the Oilers to slide out of existence in a hurry. In recent years, they’ve gotten off to good starts too.. so to not be good in these months.. doesn’t bode well.

3. John says:

I like Edmontons’chances against Jets because of the fact they are no stronger at center than the Oilers are plus if Dubbie is on his game tonight he is a better goalie than Pavelec imo. Oil should have a better PP as well.

I am more worried than most however when they have to face any of the better teams who have solid top 9 centers over the next 4-6 weeks. Been said before that the playoffs can’t be won in October but they sure as heck can be missed!

4. hemmerlady says:

Let’s go oilers! That is all.

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

With Eager being waived the Oilers are only carrying 12 Healthy forwards.

RNH has been skating in full contact practice for a while now, what are the chances he’s back in the line up on Saturday?

edit: If Eager gets claimed the Oilers would have around 6.8m in cap space to play with as well

Alan: I don’t think he is playing full contact practice, actually. I had read some posts from MSM guys saying he’s not at that point yet.

Here’s one from Gregor from yesterday:

“Nugent-Hopkins was put through a fast-paced, intense skate after the morning skate. He is moving well, and he is pain free while shooting. Once he gets clearance for contact, he could return within 10-14 days.”

Also, Capgeek’s cap space numbers are a little wonky right now, I think.. read the note at the top of the home page. So the Oilers probably don’t really have that much space left over. I’m not really sure though.

7. Alan-NottsUK says:

I’m sure he had the non contact jersey off during training camp, I wish I could remember where I read that so I could find the link to it. I also remember something on twitter saying RNH had been able to shoot pain free quite a while ago as well

edit:

still can’t find the article, however brownlee seems to think RNH will be going on the 6 game road trip.

Today was Nugent Hopkins’ first day of contact. And yes, his shot apparently had more zip than ever, according to Dubnyk. Next Thursday is what Gregor predicts

9. John says:

Racki:

That’s not saying a lot, almost every shot Dubbie has faced this season so far has more zip than ever!!

Sorry, had to take the easy shot there…

10. hemmerlady says:

I think we may have a contender for this season’s goat! yeah Dubey let in some bad ones. I fear constantly reminding him of it won’t do much but undermine his confidence though.

I don’t know that Dubey is a starting goalie for sure yet- but if the fans and media make him the goat, I doubt it will help make him become one.

11. Alan-NottsUK says:

Nuge back on Monday :D

also he confirms he’s been taking contact for the past couple of weeks

Alan-NottsUK:
    Nuge back on Monday :D

also he confirms he’s been taking contact for the past couple of weeks

Alan 1, Media 0. lol

Seriously though, where have you read that he’s taking CONTACT for the past couple of weeks? Jason Gregor had said his first contact was a few days ago-ish, and Joanne Ireland mentioned he’s been playing in practice for a couple of weeks (no mention of contact).

I just found an NHL.com article where he mentions “Obviously I need to get some contact in. I’ve had a couple of weeks of that in practice and everything has felt really good.” I think what that is, is the coaches were doing it. I remember reading about that before actually that he was in practice and the coaches were banging him around a bit to test things out. Don’t think he actually was fully participating in full contact practices.

But either way, sounds like things are looking good for him. He says the shoulder is pretty strong and he feels better than ever… has more zing to the shot.. these are good things to hear. Can’t wait to see him monday!

13. Alan-NottsUK says:

I wish I could remember, I’m not sure if I saw an article linked on twitter, the article had the same thing about his shot look really good in it as well.