Oilers hire Bob Green as Director of Amateur Free Agent Scouting

By , August 14, 2013 5:04 pm

The Oilers have hired Bob Green as Director of Amateur Free Agent Scouting. Bob Green is the former GM of the Edmonton Oil Kings. He won the WHL Executive of the Year award the last two seasons. He’s been credited with making the Oil Kings into a habitual winner through smart drafting/scouting.

This most certainly is a good move by the Oilers who have been putting more and more focus into improving the “suits”, even if they do have a penchant for being an old boys club.

8 Responses to “Oilers hire Bob Green as Director of Amateur Free Agent Scouting”

1. Metal&Oil says:

Bob Green no doubt did great work with the Oil Kings and deserves this promotion to the NHL but I am wondering if the Oilers have too many voices in the room now.

I’m not sure you can have too many when it comes to drafting because each will have their own area to look after. So it’s good to have some experts looking in Europe, some in the NCAA, some in the Dub, etc.. In this case, it sounds like Bob Green is looking at the over-agers.

3. Metal&Oil says:

Racki:

Thats true and I do like the new role that has been created in this case as these overage free agents are becoming more important in the NHL these days.

It just seems that every week the team is hiring someone and creating a new title for them. Getting a lil out of hand IMO.

Yah, I can’t disagree with that. I was more annoyed with the returnees or guys that are OBC that they find seemingly fictitious roles for.

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

No salary cap on staff, it’s one of the few places you can get an advantage these days if you have a rich owner or profitable team.

Yah, exactly. I think as long as they’re adding good names to the team, I’m completely fine with it. I think Scott Howson re-hiring was a little questionable.. but outside of that, I’ve been happy with what they’ve been doing lately.

7. john says:

With this many suits & ties on staff they should be able to rotate people in & out of positions at will for decades; no need to look outside the organization any more!

On a less sarcastic note it might be nice to have the inside track on these undrafted college guys. Schultz may turn out to be a major coup for this team in a few years & wouldn’t be suprised if MacT is looking towards this path as a more lucrative (and cheaper) channel to aquire players than free agency. I think losing out on the Antti Raanta sweepstakes really hit MacT in the gibblets to the degree he felt a need to address this facet of approaching players asap. Can’t say I blame him!

I think the goaltending market is where this free agent scout thing could really pan out.