Craig Button’s Final Draft Rankings 2013

By , June 4, 2013 9:21 am
Seth Jones, ranked #1 overall on Button's 2013 NHL Draft Rankings

Seth Jones, ranked #1 overall on Button’s 2013 NHL Draft Rankings

So some don’t put a tonne of stock in Craig Button’s draft rankings, much preferring Bob McKenzie’s list (which is based off a survey of NHL scouts). But it still is worth looking at.

Button has Seth Jones ranked #1 overall. Nathan MacKinnon sits at #3, which is probably different than what a lot of scouts have him at (most probably have him at 1 now). The Oilers fans may be disappointed if Button’s list is accurate to the actual draft, with the top six. I think it will be as far as players taken, although not necessarily the order. That means the better centers, including Sean Monahan, will be gone by the Oilers #7 pick. So the question a lot of people are asking is “should the Oilers trade their #7 pick?”

I’m on the fence on that idea. On one hand, I think the Oilers fans need to break away from the mentality of drafting a guy, then seeing him play that same year. Realistically, the player should be going back to junior for at least a year, and perhaps a year or two of AHL. So we could be talking somewhere between 3-5 years before seeing a player in action. So think of this draft as stocking the cupboards, unless we trade up and get in the top 4 somehow and land Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, MacKinnon or Sasha Barkov. This doesn’t seem likely, although it’s possibly we could move up to #5 (Carolina Hurricanes pick) and perhaps one of the big names will be still available by then if someone deviates slightly. Anyways, I think MacT should consider all options with this pick.. moving up, moving down, using it. And really, it sounds like he is. It will be interesting to see what can happen.

The other play of interest on this list is Edmonton Oil Kings’ Curtis Lazar. I’ve seen him as high as 12 (on the ISS rankings). Button has him way down around 32. That seems unlikely. But I think if Lazar lingers, the Oilers should trade their 2nd, and another pick (perhaps in another draft) and get a late 1st. I don’t see Lazar lasting past 20th though.

To wrap up, teams are always going to need centers, and they’re always going to need defensemen. I don’t want to see the Oilers drop too far down with their pick unless they get a good offer in exchange. No matter where they pick, I hope they choose the best d-man or center available (unless we get into a position of picking a guy like Drouin).

13 Responses to “Craig Button’s Final Draft Rankings 2013”

1. John says:

Obviously moving up to 4th or 5th would be the realistically ideal scenario (avoiding trading a young roster player) but barring that, I have no complaints with the Oilers picking at 7th. With the realistic opportunity of being able to pick from Monahan, Horvat, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, or possibly even Nurse at 7, I feel at least a few of those guys could play in a year or two & any of them could be viable roster players within 3 years. If Tambellini was still at the helm picking 7th would be a no brainer but MacT is a real wildcard from what we’ve been hearing! It wouldn’t suprise me if he traded Yakupov + their #7 pick to move into the 1st or 2nd spot.

2. Metal&Oil says:

Enough waiting for players to develop. With the Cap going down I am confident that this pick can be traded for some good and already established player(s).

@M&O: I get what you are saying, and I’d agree that we need some solutions for now. But there are two sides to this… you should never piss away the future.. so it’s never bad to have guys developing in the system. Do we want to draft Monahan and wait around for him to be our #1 (or #2) C? Definitely not. But it wouldn’t be bad at all to draft him and still be out trading for a top C. But yah, I think we do need some solutions now, so if that #7 pick can be used to get us a real solid player right now, we probably should move it. I’m sure you agree anyways though that it wouldn’t be a bad thing to have Monahan developing along slowly while we had someone with some now-power in center.

But ideally, yah, we need to fix things here now.

4. John says:

Maybe we draft Monahan now, start developing him & if he shows potential he could be part of a trade package for an established center part way through next season to a team with center depth. Then they are restocking their cupboards & the the Oilers get the help they need now. Many possibilities but we need the assets first to make those deals with. Not too many teams are gonna give up a #1 center for our washed up, second rate forwards or Dmen & we can’t really afford to trade any of our decent young players/prospects currently in the system.

If we’re getting a #1 center back, I think we could trade one of them, but I’d rather not, however.

Anyways.. different topic here.. Oilers hired Sylvain Rodrigue to “with goaltender development and scouting” (namely scouting Euro goalies). This is good to hear, because there are some good goalies coming out of Europe, so it’s good to have a guy dedicated just to watching the goalies there.

6. Metal&Oil says:

Racki:

Racki:

But ideally, yah, we need to fix things here now.

Monahan does interest me, although I’d draft Nurse.

This off season is gonna offer some unique opportunity’s to land some established players that would otherwise not be available. Quite a few team are now in salary cap hell. The Pens for example have $61M committed to just 18 players and also have a lot of UFA’s on the horizon in the next 2 years. Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, Orpik all have one year left and this year they have to resign Iggy & Dupuis.

I have read suggestions that Paul Martin could go on the block this summer and really… I couldn’t think of a better fit on our blueline then him. Wonder if pick #7, + a prospect gets that done?

I’d definitely take Monahan or whatever top C is available over Nurse. I know we shouldn’t draft by need, generally, in round 1, but we have fuuuuuuck all for C depth. We do have some D depth with Musil, Davidson, Fedun, Klefbom, and Marincin.

I sure as hell hope we can cash in on the salary cap hell like you think. Some teams might be able to save things by compliance buyout.

Speaking of the pens, word is Malkin might be shopped this year. Damn, how nice would that be? However, that might be just people saying that because you can say anyone “might be” available, and you’d be correct. Steve Stamkos might be available. Anyways, Malkin’s cap hit is ugly, but that’s instant star power at center. I’d move Eberle or Yakupov (like Ebs) in that kind of deal, if I had to.

Not so sure I’d do Martin at $5M, but he’d definitely improve our D.

BTW, I don’t actually think Malkin is available, and if he was.. dealing with Shero would likely result in MacT dropping his pants and taking it, sans-lube. But it would be interesting if he was really actually available.

I also just noticed he only has one year left on his contract before he becomes UFA, so I guess it is plausible.

Wow, I gotta say I think some of you are are severely under-valuing our seventh overall pick.

I don’t think I’d give our second pick(let alone our first +) in this draft for a 32 year old D-man whose PEAK was 37 points eight seasons ago and isn’t really that physical either. Especially for 5 million for two more seasons.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Paul Martin is a decent NHL D man as a good second pairing guy…but I’d way rather draft a stud prospect like Nurse, Ristolainen or Zadorov even if we have to wait for them to develop.

Same with the first + Yakcity to move up…no way…I don’t think I’d trade just Yakupov himself to move up let alone adding a 7th overall pick in the deepest draft in years.

IMHO if we trade our 7th pick it had better be in a package for a legit top pairing D, a high end center with some grit or the 7th and a prospect to move up a few spots for Barkov…the last scenario being my preference.

I would also try and target St. Louis for the rights to negotiate with Pietrangelo, give them one of our seconds for that right and if he signs with us then they get Petry and our first next year.

if there is any merit whatsoever to Malkin being available then I offer Eberle and whatever else it takes to get him…fuck that would be amazing.

while we’re dreaming nab Stalberg and Horton and a layer like Eric Fehr via UFA, use Gagner and Hemsky as trading chips to bolster the other holes left open or add picks to fill the future cupboards.

Racki…why did you have to say Malkin…you got me going now! lol

Hall Malkin Yakupov
    Stalberg RNH Horton
    PRV Barkov Fehr
    Smyth Gordon(Boyd)Brown

Smid Pietrangelo
    Scuderi J.Schultz
    Belov N.Schultz
    Klefbom Potter

!!!!!!!!!!!Yesssssis!!!

Now let me come back to earth for a moment and say that if we keep our pick and Monahan is off the board and Lindholm is available I don’t see how we can pass him by…I’m a firm believer in picking BPA, ESPECIALLY in the top 10…and that kids comparables are Nicklas Backstrom and Henrik Sedin, his NHLE offense is top 2 or three in the entire draft and he’s got a defensive conscience

I know he’s not the hulking C we all drool over but at 7th overall he’s likely BPA. if not then you gotta take one of the aforementioned D prospects.

Hmm, I hadn’t even noticed that John suggested 7+Yak for #1. I agree, that is way too much. I’d say there’s no chance we get that pick anyways, because whatever it would take to get it would likely be stupid overpayment… so I don’t see us getting #1 overall at all or #2.

And do agree that the 7th for Martin is overpayment, let alone a 7th + our prospect.

People need to stop mentioning Pietrangelo, cause that is one guy I would absolutely love on this team (to the point where I WOULD move the lesser of our top 4 out for him). With Pietrangelo being an RFA, there’s no way they’d give him up for just a 2nd if we aren’t able to sign him. I’d say you’re easily giving up 2nd, 1st 2014, Petry no matter what. RFA.

Your roster would likely be over cap limit by a few million. I get 67.7M with $6M for Horton, $7M for Pietrangelo… which I don’t think would be on the high end for either?? And the rest either were very very minimal increases or same salaries. I also added a $1.5M backup, and included Duby.

6+8+3.775+
    2.5+3.775+6+
    2+2+1.5+
    2.25+1.5+0.737+
    3.5+7+
    3.4+3.775+
    1.525+3.5+
    3.5+1.5

That’s not far off though from the total, so we might have to make a sacrifice or two, like Potter in, N. Schultz out. And skim another player somewhere.

Anyways, we’re dreaming, so it’s not all that realistic.. lol But would be nice.

And I’m always on board with BPA when using our picks, especially now that we’re likely changing strategies with the picks and allowing them to develop all they need to before coming into the NHL (at which point our needs will have changed)

11. John says:

I don’t believe this team is yet in a position of power when dealing with any other team on any level so to be honest, in order to swing any kind of a deal which will impact this team in any significant manner (which is what we are all expecting) I maintain the Oilers will have to overpay. Obviously the teams with the 1st or 2nd pick are going to expect an overpayment for the rights to those picks. Same story with the Free Agent Frenzy in July, or Trade deadline, etc. Making a couple minor trades or aquisitions of middle of the road players can be done at market value with little fanfare but those deals are not gonna get ‘er done.

I’m kinda perplexed to understand how people figure we are gonna add big name franchise altering players to win now without paying an arm & a leg to do it?! Guess that’s why I’m not a GM lol.

You’re suggesting trading last year’s #1 overall plus our #7 from this year for this year’s #1 overall. THAT’S perplexing to me. It’s too soon to know if Yakupov is as good as Jones or MacKinnon or Droin, but that’s part of the reason why that trade should not be made. In fact, I would never spend a dime on the #1 or #2 pick because again, it will just be ridiculous overpayment that won’t be worth it.

I think we’d be better off hanging on to 7th and drafting the BPA (even if not a center) than making that move.

For sure the Oilers have to give up to get good players (I’d only put Hall and Nuge on my untouchables list, tbh), but that is too much. I’d be willing to bet that a package of Yakupov and our #7 overall would get a shit tonne of interest around the league. So I wouldn’t be moving Yakupov + 7 for the next draft phenom, I’d be moving Yakupov alone (if I were to move him.. which I wouldn’t) for a stud D man, cause that SHOULD get it done.

I don’t think I’m crazy to say that the Predators would be listening (meaning it would get talks going) if we said 7th overall + Yakupov for Weber.. but of course that deal can’t be done though (because Weber can’t be traded until some time after the draft, unfortunately). For the record though, that is one of those contracts that will SUCK at the end of it (bad deal for the Preds in the end, thanks to the new CBA).

That would be the kind of deal I’d be overpaying on.. someone who is a bonafide franchise d-man, or a big C. MacKinnon does have potential to be that though, but it’s hard to know for sure, so I don’t think I’d do the Yak+7.

Anyways, MacT does need to be bold.

So in other news, Horcoff and Hemsky are pretty much gone… seems MacTavish has stated that “ideally” they will be moved. I suspect a lot of work spent shopping Horc around to cap floor teams.. and if he won’t move, then they use the compliance buyout. Hemsky, they might have to eat a few bucks to move him.

BTW, just cause Weber’s name gets tossed around a lot (by me, even), I thought I’d bring up that whole “Cap Recapture” part of the new CBA.
    Let’s say the Oilers picked up Weber this offseason, and he retired 4 years early… that is, at the end of 2021-2022 season (age 36). I think he’ll retire later than that, but say he runs into injury probs and is forced to…

The Preds would have a cap hit of $41.535M added per season for 4 years.

The Oilers would have a cap hit of $4.821M (!!) added per season for 4 years.

That’s harsh. Just something to think about with those crazy contracts that are out there. But hey, it’s Shea Fookin Weber!