Bob McKenzie and Craig Button Mock Draft Lists

By , June 25, 2013 7:01 pm
2013 NHL Mock Draft Lists on TSN

2013 NHL Mock Draft Lists on TSN

Bob McKenzie and Craig Button have completed their draft lists. Below is each of their top 30 lists. With Bob McKenzie, it should be noted that he does not rank based on team need, but just on player rank. Craig Button considers team need in his draft.

The “Diff” column indicates how much higher/lower a player was drafted on one list over the other. An E indicates equal, and a U indicates unlisted (ex. Bob ranked a player that Craig didn’t have on his list).

Bob McKenzie has Sean Monahan in Edmonton’s draft slot (would love to have him). There are a lot of Oilers fans who rank Elias Lindholm over Monahan (I don’t include myself in that group… we’ll see). Button mentioned that he doesn’t think Lindholm is in the same class as Monahan and Sasha Barkov (i.e., he isn’t as good), but he does note that he is still a very good player. Based on who was available at #7, Button had the Oilers selecting Darnell Nurse. Ryan Rishaug noted that if Valeri Nichushkin was still there at #7, the Oilers would probably choose him instead, based on a need for size. Button conceded that this was also quite likely possible.

What’s your top 3 order for the Oilers pick, assuming MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin are gone?

I’d rank it: Nichushkin, Monahan, Nurse

No matter who we take, we’ll be pretty damn happy though, as I’d say there are an easy 5 guys in that range that would be great to pick, and at least 3 will be available.

Anyways, here are the lists below..

Bob’s List Diff Craig’s List Diff
25. MTL – Valentin Zykov (LW) E 25. MTL – Valentin Zykov (LW) E
26. ANA – Ryan Hartman (C/RW) -4 26. ANA – Adam Erne (LW) -6
27. CBJ – Robert Hagg (LD) U 27. CBJ – Madison Bowey (RD) +9
28. CGY – Josh Morrissey (LD) -5 28. CGY – Steve Santini (LD) +14
29. DAL – Jacob De La Rose (LW) U 29. DAL – Emile Poirier (LW) +20
30. CHI – Morgan Klimchuk (LW) U 30. CHI – Jason Dickinson (RW) +1

10 Responses to “Bob McKenzie and Craig Button Mock Draft Lists”

1. Metal&Oil says:

My Rankings

1)Nichushkin
    2)Nurse
    3)Monahan

Personally I want Nurse but Nich would be damn near impossible to pass up. I have concerns that are shared by a few others that Monahan’s numbers were inflated because he was so heavily relied upon by a weak Ottawa 67’s team since they had no one else to turn too. Even if I am wrong I’m pretty confident that Monahan will be going to the Flames at 6.

2. HabFab says:

Hockey Inside Outt Habs site wants Montreal to draft Rychel or Erne and not a Russian defenseman, even if we have to move a few spots, as we need fowards with size And skill.

3. HabinBurlington says:

Trevor Timmins is terrible at the draft, Habs could have iced a team that includes Getzlaf, Perry, M Richards, Parise, Giroux, Lucic, but he took bums like Kostitsyn and Fischer instead.

Metal&Oil:
    My Rankings

1)Nichushkin
    2)Nurse
    3)Monahan

Personally I want Nurse but Nich would be damn near impossible to pass up. I have concerns that are shared by a few others that Monahan’s numbers were inflated because he was so heavily relied upon by a weak Ottawa 67′s team since they had no one else to turn too. Even if I am wrong I’m pretty confident that Monahan will be going to the Flames at 6.

There’s two theories on guys like Monahan, much like guys like Seguin (who is clearly a better player.. I’m only comparing their situations, not the player)…

– A guy putting up points without being surrounded by elite talent is a better player because they’re scoring without elite level talent to play with
    – A guy putting up points without elite talent on his team has his numbers inflated because he’s getting all the opportunity to put up numbers

It can be easily spun either way. It’s hard to know for sure. However, one thing I can say about Monahan is his defensive game and his faceoff prowess are something we need, and something that can’t really be faked by not having guys on your team that are better at it. Shitty defense is hard to hide, just like shitty faceoff skills are. He brings a lot of facets to his game, short of the physicality (from what I understand he isn’t an overly aggressive player, but he uses his size well enough).

I would be perfectly fine with any one of Nuchishkin, Nurse or Monahan.

The only thing I don’t like about Nuchishkin is he’s a RW. We’ve probably got enough depth there right now. However, on the flip side, it might allow us more patience to ease him into the NHL if he were playing on a lower scoring line.

5. dawgtoy says:

I’d have to say my draft ranking, Christmas wish list would be Horvath, Lindholm then Nurse. I’m somewhat afraid of Nichushkin and I’d stay away, but I’m risk adverse. He could also be the steal of the draft.

6. Maurey says:

Monahan, Ristolainen, Lindholm, Nichushkin, Nurse.

Interesting lists, guys.

I think a lot of people share the fear of Nichushkin, which might make him drop to 7th. Carolina and Calgary are probably the two teams ahead of us that I could see taking him.

I think Nichushkin is going to be a heck of a talent though. He already said that he wants to play in the NHL, and he can leave the KHL without any concerns. So I’m not anywhere near as worried as other people. Everyone freaks over Russians because of guys like Radulov, but I think the trend is changing. Most guys that bolt for the KHL now bolt because they can’t handle it at the NHL level (and that’s whether they’re Russian or something else).

This kid has a crazy amount of skill, and I still would put him ahead of any of the other guys in our range. However I could see us going with the safe choice and need, so it’ll probably be Nurse or Monahan. But I think Nichushkin is going to be a steal, as you said, Dawgtoy.

8. dawgtoy says:

I’m not adverse to Nichushkin based on his Russian heritage, I actually think it would be very beneficial for Yak to have another fellow Russian in the lineup. Much has been written about his size, his abilities, his strength at sheltering the puck. Etc. Much has also been written in regards to his arrogance, and his awful combine. Specifically he appeared to give up and quit on some tests, and reportedly he had terrible interviews that reaked of arrogance.
    I’d put more value on what he has done on the ice, and worry less about off the ice and the combine, but question marks have been raised. He is NHL ready and would make the Oilers a better hockey team. Frankly i like it when athletes display a certain degree of arrogance. I certainly could be convinced that a second line of Gagner centering Yak on the right and Nichushkin on the left might have a certain zeal.
    I just simply think a center should be the emphasized goal. The depth at C for the organization is poor. Monahan, Lindholm, Horvath or Lazar could improve that dramatically. I would prefer to see a center drafted, and maybe even a few, to yet another high level winger. I’d also like to see a keeper taken as well in the second round.

I hear you on the C, and definitely agree. I really would like Monahan, myself. I have seen lots of Lazar, and I love him, but i bet he winds up as a winger in the NHL. Lindholm is also a smaller guy, so I’m kind of worried about that. Monahan would definitely be my choice of C’s, based on his size, plus solid 2-way play, faceoffs, and playmaking. I actually was on the fence between Nichushkin and Monahan, but I think you’re right.. organizational depth at C is terrible.

So now there are rumors that the Bruins made Tyler Seguin available, and are possibly considering a deal involving Horton too. I have to say that sounds up the Oilers’ alley.. but of course that would be up a lot of teams’ alley.

I think we could make that trade happen. We might have to give up an Eberle or Yakupov. Would it be worth it? Seguin takes a lot of heat there, for some reason. I think I’d welcome him here with open arms anyways, even though I (along with most everyone) feel we made the right choice in that draft.