Oilers re-sign Ladislav Smid for 4 years at $3.5M

By , April 1, 2013 8:43 am

First off, I’ve dropped a few April Fool’s jokes today.. so I will preface this by saying this is not a joke. Smid has re-signed with the Oilers for 4 years at $3.5M. That is as good as it really was going to get… the Oilers got him for the low-end number that he was reportedly asking for, and some figured he’d get $4m, so good on them for getting it right!

9 Responses to “Oilers re-sign Ladislav Smid for 4 years at $3.5M”

1. dawgtoy says:

Yes! Perfect contract IMO, now onto kicking the ever loving piss out of the nemesis scourge known as the Flames.

Yup, that was good deadline day move #1. Let’s see what else is up our sleeves, if anything. Now it’s Gagner’s turn for a new, respectable deal.

3. dawgtoy says:

Here is my trade deadline hope. Note I’m actually full of shit that this could ever work, but WTF….

Omark to Detroit for White
    Whitney +Khabibulin to Carolina for McBain
    Belanger to Phoenix for Torres

This GM thing is easy. Floating turds for depth.
    Amen

haha

Well, the only part I don’t like is Belanger for Torres. I’m all for giving away Belanger, but Torres is past his usefulness. We do need some disgusting sandpaper in this lineup though. I think Mike Brown is bringing what a Raffi Torres would bring.. maybe with a little less inclination to blindside someone. :P Not a terrible idea for a trade though. His off-ice influence might not be what we want though.

But I’d be for solidifying our defense a bit. Only other problem here is you traded away our backup without acquiring a backup!

We’re definitely fucked with no one beyond Dubnyk. Danis is NOT a good backup.

5. dawgtoy says:

The Goaltending is fine short term. The Flames didn’t have a backup for the better part of a decade. You have to admit my lineup kicks ass!!! Fourth line of Lander Brown and Torres, or Smitty centering Brown and Torres. I can dream dammit, I can dream!

I’d have to say that while it’s a dream to do make the playoffs, let alone do well in the playoffs, you’re basically calling it quits early if you go into the playoffs with a guy who is a questionable starter, let alone a questionable starter with a crap backup.

I don’t think Khabibulin improves our chances in the playoffs all that much either, but it’s one area I’d want to bolster.

You know why the Flames did it? Cause Kipper can play over 70 games per season. If Dubnyk could play 70+ per year (he can’t.. no way), this wouldn’t be an issue.

I think Dubnyk is our #1 guy here still, but I think he’s more of a 1A/1B guy than a 60-70 games, bonafide #1 like your Miller’s, Lundqvist’s, and even Kipper’s. Dubnyk should be a good for quite a solid 45-ish games per year (paced out over an 82 game season). Put him at a pace that’s like Kipper’s pace, and you’re going to lose a lot more games, I figure.

Anyways, if short term is finishing the season, I think Dubnyk is just fine, but if we’re talking playoff run, i think it’s a bad idea. .. hell, bad idea even with Khabi, but a bit more solid a plan.

7. Metal&Oil says:

Gregor tweeted that Sean Couterier might be available. That makes me drool.

Yah I just saw that (per the Fourth Period, which are pretty good at doing investigative work). That would be worth throwing a good package the other way. I would honestly say that would be one of few types of deals I’d consider trading Gagner in.

I’ll also throw out the name Nick Bjugstad, again.. would really like to see the Oilers pushing hard for an under 25 high-potential C with size.

9. Alan-NottsUK says:

I honestly think if Smid had held out to free agency someone would have paid him $5m or more, this years defensive UFA class is tiny.

Such a great deal, and the fact he asked for 3.5m in the media makes it even better, hopefully we get a few more players taking discounts now.