Oilers 1, Flames 4 – Game 41 – 2013-04-13 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames
logo at logo
16-17-7 Record 15-21-4
Location: Rexall Place
Date: April 13, 2013 @ 8:00PM MST
TV: CBC

The fat lady has sung. It’s over. The other teams are increasing their gap on us too much for there really to be a chance. Not only does Edmonton have to outpace the 9th, 10th and 11th place teams now, but they of course have to outpace their original target, Detroit, by 7 points (possibly 6, if we somehow picked up the tie breaker… gaining 4 more regulation or overtime wins on Detroit in the process). This just isn’t going to happen in 8 games. That basically means that not only does Edmonton need to be perfect, but Detroit needs a monumental loss and needs to completely fall apart. Let’s also throw in the fact the Oilers have been struggling to win put a string of wins together all season (although they did win 5 in a row leading up to this 4 game losing streak). I do expect a win tonight for the Oilers, which will mislead some people into thinking that maybe this team still has what it takes to make the playoffs… they just don’t. It takes a lot for me to give up on the season’s playoff hopes, but I have now. I’ll still watch the games now though and hope for all the wins they can get, even if their draft position potentially gets worse.

Hemsky will be out for at least a week with a “nagging foot injury” from blocking a short a while back. That means more opportunity for Yakupv. With 8 games left and no hope in making the playoffs, I wouldn’t mind seeing Yakupov with Hall and Nuge for a bit, or even with Gagner and Hall.. juggle the lines a bit to maximize offensive potential, and see what he can make with it. Of course it could be a disaster defensively too, but who knows.

Lines below have been confirmed. Khabibulin gets the start tonight, which I don’t think is a bad idea considering Dubnyk played a pretty bad one the last game. But you aren’t going to win too many games with one goal, so I don’t pin the loss on him.. just saying it is a good time for some Khabi action.

OILERS LINES (CONFIRMED)

Hall – Nuge – Eberle
Paajarvi – Gagner – Yakupov
Jones – Horcoff – Petrell
Smyth – Smithson – Brown

Smid – Petry
N. Schultz – J.Schultz
Whitney – Potter

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

8 Responses to “Oilers 1, Flames 4 – Game 41 – 2013-04-13 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

1. Metal&Oil says:

This is just becoming unforgivable. Lowe, Tambo and everyone associated to these two needs to go. Clean house before our young core decides to try and force their way out of town.

I think it’s clear to pretty much everyone that we need some aggressive size with skill. It wasn’t much of a surprise that one of our best players was Lennart Petrell (who is quite big and physical). Hall played a decent game, mostly because he isn’t really one to be pushed around. I don’t really remember much of Eberle tonight, or Gagner, or even Nugent-Hopkins. Really, Hall is the straw that stirs the drink on this team, and the rest of our skill guys need someone to open up ice for them. Paajarvi and Gagner can push back on occasion, but I didn’t really see them playing a hard forecheck tonight and having someone driving to the net. Yakupov had some flashes of brilliance, but ultimately it wasn’t enough.

The team is going to have to move guys like Gagner, Hemsky, and possibly another and look for some big guys with some talent, even if it’s “lesser” talent like a Chris Stewart / David Clarkson type. Also again, I’ll call for the heads of our utterly useless bottom 6.

It really blows my mind though how a team can go from sitting in 8th place to a 5 game losing streak. You could taste playoffs, and then you disappear. It’s almost as though Tambellini paid some players off to completely disappear (I kid, but that’s what it is like) so we tank again.

3. NorwegianOiler says:

Embarrassing. Nothing else.

4. Alan-NottsUK says:

The team has checked out for the summer.

The only good thing that can come of this is that MPS won’t be able to demand a big contract, and after Gagner’s hot start it looked like he would be able to ask for the same as Eberle and Hall but he’s cooled off a lot and is still showing some glaring weaknesses.

Also Lowe and Tambellini need to be gone.

—————————-

Half way through this I realise I’d written an essay type post, clipped it and might post it to the forum after some formatting.

5. DropIt says:

Racki:

It’s funny just how similar the two Alberta teams are. The pain of finally getting into a playoff picture only for the team to collapse is a feeling I know only too well.

Last year it was the Oilers who embarrassed the Flames the game after they made it into a playoff spot and the Islanders did it to us the year before. I have to imagine that there is some sort of mindset these players need to get over to hold on to a playoff spot

Alan-NottsUK:
    The team has checked out for the summer.

Also Lowe and Tambellini need to be gone.

—————————-

LOL, definitely don’t let it go to waste.

And yes, Tambellowe needs to go. Channeling Johnny Cochrane there… if it rhymes, its true.

7. John says:

Embarrassing game in the aspect that the Calgary “young stars” outclassed & out scored our young guys quite decisively. Anyone in the hockey world (including hardcore fans) who can reasonably gauge talent should agree that the Oiler youth are several rungs above anyone under 26 on the Flames roster, except maybe Baertschi. The way both teams are built right now, the Oilers should win 8 out of every 10 against the Flames & be within a goal even in the losses but after last nights debacle that obviously isn’t the case. It all comes down to pride & desire to win which clearly Calgary has embraced & the Oiler players have little belief in or understanding of how to grasp that concept. Taking those points into account, I am really dissapointed with this team & am at a loss to understand where they possibly plan to go from here.

8. Alan-NottsUK says:

Racki: LOL, definitely don’t let it go to waste.

It started of as a rant about the effort that was put in for this game and turned into a season review of the players, so I might wait it out until the end of the year.