Oilers 1, Coyotes 3 – Game 40 – 2013-04-10 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW

-={ Puttin’ On The Foil Presents… }=-

logo at logo
16-16-7 Record 17-16-6
Location: Rexall Place
Date: April 10, 2013 @ 7:30PM MST
TV: SNETW

The Oilers are on the ropes. Not mathematically done, but basically done. They’re going to need a miracle at this point. They don’t hold the tie breaker on Detroit or Dallas (regulation or overtime wins), so that makes life tough, as is. They’re also now 4 points out of a playoff spot with 9 games left to make up that difference. They can’t worry about other teams though, only themselves. They can’t worry about Saturday’s game yet, only today’s. They just have to keep showing some fight until they are mathematically eliminated. The problem is, I’m not sure they’ve shown that much fight as of late, outside of the usual suspects. Some players like Hall are dragging this team along, while others such as .. well… let’s just say the usual people… are dragging this team down, instead. I don’t think this team is really built yet for playoffs, or to even compete to make the playoffs, so I give them a bit of slack.

They have glaring holes, so a lot of this rests on the shoulders of the GMs that continually watch it happen. There are fans that seem to accept this too, making excuses: “we can’t trade during the regular season.. it never happens. We can’t sign guys in the off-season, they won’t come here (granted, they won’t if we keep messing things up here). We can’t trade guys leading up to the deadline, because we might crush the team’s spirit (a lot of good that did). We can’t trade for guys during the off-season, because we should see what we have here first. Where are we going to find a big center.. no one trades those.” Enough with the stupid excuses. The management doesn’t need our free pass. Management needs to address the team needs. Other teams trade for big centers from time to time.. other teams trade in the course of a season, even if it’s more rare. We also didn’t need to go through another bad season to recognize the holes. Just because The Hockey News thought we’d be good doesn’t mean we don’t have issues here. I would have fired the group a while ago, but I’d imagine Katz is on the same page as our management group.

Anyways, enough on that.. this is a new game, and we just have to take them 1 by 1. Every loss is going to be astronomical, but until there is no chance, there’s still a chance.. so I hope to see some “give a damn” the remainder of our games. Will we make the playoffs? As I told my friend, Vygur: “The realist in me says no. The optimist in me says.. probably not.” But it ain’t over til it’s over.

OILERS LINES (UNCONFIRMED)

Hall – Nuge – Eberle
Paajarvi – Gagner – Hemsky
Smyth – Horcoff – Yakupov
Brown – Smithson – Petrell

Smid – Petry
N. Schultz – J.Schultz
Whitney – Fistric

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

7 Responses to “Oilers 1, Coyotes 3 – Game 40 – 2013-04-10 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW”

The great Hemsky returns. Not sure who he replaces, however. I’d suggest Smyth, or Petrell (as much as I love his defensive prowess).

Edit: Jones is out.

So I went on the EJ today and did a real time chat with a few non media types and the media.. good stuff. Biggest thing I took out of it was that the Oilers (opinion, but likely true) aren’t going to re-sign Peckham. Ungh. I wonder if that means they’ll let him hit UFA market. It kinda sounded that way, but I might have misunderstood.. maybe they plan a trade beforehand. At any rate, his commitment has been a huge disappointment, and it is HIS fault, but it will be a once promising asset lost for nothing.

Anyways, the comment that Peckham won’t be re-signed came from Joanne Ireland, and I believe was echoed by Jim Matheson and/or John MacKinnon.

3. John says:

Ya that sucks if we lose him for nothing but won’t really be too sad to see him go. It’s kinda like a bad relationship; if you have just as many dissapointments as fond memories when you reflect on the overall experience then it’s not a healthy relationship. For me, I remember just as many times I said “Dammit Peckham!”, as I did “Nice hit Peckham!”

I liked Peckham, but I won’t debate whether he’s a good player or not, cause that doesn’t matter… Krueger won’t play him (presumably because of conditioning issues, which I believe). So at this point, Peckham is just taking up a roster spot we could be using for a quality depth guy. Also, now that we have Fistric, I’m OK with Peckham being gone. I think Peckham was a pretty tough fighter though, something Fistric couldn’t hold a candle to (even if Peckham did have his bell rung good by Horton once).

Today’s chat with the EJ guys was good.. I think everyone seems to understand that sooner or later, the Oilers are going to need to say goodbye to a really good player.

BTW, I didn’t know this, but apparently our offer for Bishop was Ryan Jones and a pick. Too bad that didn’t work out. Damned TB!

Well, at least Peckham is taking his punishment, and not whining about it.. He knows it is his fault:
    “I don’t know,” he said. “If that is the case, there’s nothing I can do but be ready for next year. I’ve been putting the time in, doing all the extra workouts. It’s a tough thing.

“If it is a punishment thing, I dug that hole myself. I just have to dig my way out, too.”

and..

“It’s not my call. I ultimately respect the coaches’ decisions. I’ve never been the type to bad mouth anybody. I’ll just keep my head down and keep skating and do everything they ask.”

6. phawley says:

Awesome clip Racki! I now want to watch the original Any Given Sunday after the game!

Boo to Peckham! One of the thickest guys I have ever seen however you keep that in mind and it is easy for someone who is 250lb to get out of shape even if you are 6’2.

Need a win tonight! As Al Pacino says, it’s that one inch that can make the difference! My wife also says that is why she married me…. J/K

7. hemmerlady says:

Well that game was demoralizing. And a concise summary of this season: we have our moments but in the end, we fall short. We’re done.

Re: Peckham: I’ve always liked him, I like his attitude. But we’re not here to make friends. Same goes for the rest of the team. At the Canucks game, I have to say Smytty looked 10 times worse in person than on TV. Slow, terrible shot, questionable decisions. I’m not blaming him for the team’s situation, I just think we can do better in our bottom 6.

Management has to find a way to make this team good enough to contend for a playoff spot. Pretending we are doesn’t help the team and it doesn’t help the fans.

Testify, brotha Racki.