Oilers 8, Flames 2 – Game 36 – 2013-04-03 @ 8:00 PM MST – SNET CGY

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames
logo at logo
15-13-7 Record 13-17-4
Location: Scotiabank Saddledome
Date: April 3, 2013 @ 8:00PM MST
TV: SNETW

Alright, do not adjust your TVs, we are playing those sad sacks to the south yet again. What a time to be a Flames fan, no? We feel your pain, as we were there. I’m not so sure our exodus was as painful, however. We still foolishly had a glimmer of hope. At least Flames fans should have no disillusions. That team is torn apart and should be pretty crappy for a while. I’m not saying this to gloat… I long for the days of a GOOD Battle of Alberta. It sucks that both of our teams have had to go through this. But the Battle of Alberta will return one day.

Right now it looks like the Flames best scorer is tough guy Brian McGratton… we’ll have to shadow him tonight with our best defensive players. ;) Joey MacDonald gets the start for the Flames tonight. All jokes aside, this worries me.. I always think the Oilers play their worst againt the “backups”.

Oh yah, in case you hadn’t noticed.. today is trade dudline day. At this point, two minor trades have been made (the most significant name involved was Scott Hannan, if that tells you anything). If the Oilers walk away with Ben Bishop without losing any significant parts, including Magnus Paajarvi, I’ll be quite happy. However, I think they’ll do nothing. Terry Jones seems to think the Oilers will make something happen though.

I’d imagine that again the Oilers will go with a “winning” line up. I think we should be concerned that the team didn’t generate a lot of shots last game. Maybe not THAT concerned, but there should be concern. Need to improve on that if they hope to beat some of the league’s best in the remaining 13 games. I’d like to see Lander slot into the lineup tonight. Haven’t heard any rumor that he will, however.

Go Oil! Feels good being this close to playoffs, no? The “ol’ lady” even received her playoff tickets offer in the mail from the Oilers yesterday. That is damn exciting..

Oh before I end it… a couple of deadline day near misses that were mentioned on Sportsnet:

When Doug MacLean was GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets, he was offered Cory Schneider in exchange for Gilbert Brule. At the time, Gilbert Brule had very high expectations and was even being called the potential Crosby of the West. What a mistake that was. MacLean obviously turned it down.

Brian Lawton, then GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, was offered Claude Giroux in exchange for Paul Ranger. At the time, Giroux was a PPG player in the AHL but not a guy a lot of people were talking about. The Lightning had a lot of hope for Ranger, however, so Lawton turned the deal down. D’oh.

Moral of the story.. hindsight is 20/20… don’t make deals for the sake of making deals. As they say, sometimes the deals you don’t make are better than the ones you do. Paul Holmgren would have been executed for that one.

Edit: Oilers have traded a 4th round pick in 2013 for Jerred Smithson. I think this is a smart pick up. Seems that he is a gritty player with good size and can win draws.. will confirm this shortly.

OILERS LINES (UNCONFIRMED)

Hall – Nuge – Eberle
Paajarvi – Gagner – Hemsky
Jones – Horcoff – Yakupov
Brown – Smyth – Petrell

Smid – Petry
N. Schultz – J.Schultz
Whitney – Potter

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

13 Responses to “Oilers 8, Flames 2 – Game 36 – 2013-04-03 @ 8:00 PM MST – SNET CGY”

Some quick hits on Smithson:

54.8% on the dot this year with FLA, and he’s taken more draws than Horcoff (not to say he’s better.. just saying that the sample set is good).

He is also second on the Panthers in hits with 81.

I like this deal. Will wait for the “corsi” folks to analyse it, however :P

Smithson is 34 years old, a bit younger than Belanger. He is UFA at end of the year, with his current deal paying $800k. Would be nice if he works out cause while it sounds like he doesn’t bring much for offense, he brings more grit and physical play than someone like Belanger could muster up on their best day.

4. Metal&Oil says:

Racki:
    Some quick hits on Smithson:

He is also second on the Panthers in hits with 81.

I like this deal. Will wait for the “corsi” folks to analyse it, however

This is an older article but provides some insight.

Sounds good to me!!!

5. NorwegianOiler says:

Ever so predictably, I don’t like it.

This is just another Brown move. Barely an upgrade on Belanger, who has been dismal. No future in him. No offense in him. We are creating a 4th line black hole of offense, from which we can only expect to hang on for grim death for the 10-12 minutes they get per game.

It’s not that I miss Moreau, Grier, Pisani, Stoll. I miss the time when we sucked but still had a 4th line of Stortini-Brodziak-Glencross. They could play, or at least two of them could. If we ice Smithson-Brown-Whoever, it’s just bad.

Meh.

6. Metal&Oil says:

I’d say the Brown acquisition has worked out really good for us. So much energy in that play plus I’ve noticed a lot less teams are taking liberties with our stars since his arrival, Save for Bieksa the other night.

7. John says:

I like Brown & am ok with the Smithson aquisition but to NO’s point, it would be nice to have more scoring depth. A 4th line that can provide energy for the team as well as pose a credible scoring threat is an asset that most of the more successful teams posess. Your 4th line should exsist for more than just eating ice team to allow the top lines time to catch their breathe ;)

8. dawgtoy says:

I like the Smithson move; he’s a definate upgrade to Belanger. If they like what they see, he may be extended. He’s a BC boy and maybe happy to be coming closer to home. I don’t mind a line of Brown – Smithson -Petrell. The other thing that I like is it gets Smyth back where he belongs on the wing, and away from Center. This move therefore improves the third line as well. This isn’t huge, but likely makes us better going down the stretch drive. The bigger moves likely/hopefully get made this summer. I’m also thankful nobody left. I’m confident moves will happen this summer. Here’s hoping for a playoff spot.

I will say too that I completely hate that we moved Brodziak/Glencross, but look at what both those guys get paid now. Brodziak makes almost $3M, Glencross $2.55M.. can’t have a 4th line with that much dough (although we’re paying Smyth a fair bit to play 4th line C). But both those guys could easily roll with Ryan Jones for a stellar 3rd line, however. It’s a shame.. I wish we still had them both, but we don’t.

For me, I see this trade as a step up, as I saw (and still see.. maybe even more so) the Brown move as a step forward. This team is getting a little harder to play against, which is good. Guys that can put up offense too would be much preferred, however, so a failing grade on that note.. but I don’t regret the deal we made today… could have definitely been better though.

I also feel the same as John.. it’s clear our 4th lines lately have been put on the ice to kill time while other players rest, and I don’t like that either. So yes, I can agree with the sentiment that we need guys who can score on that 4th line too. I think we got better, but it’s not enough, granted.

Given some of the asking prices for components… 1st rounders being talked about for some lesser stars, for example… Conacher, a potential Calder candidate, going for a current NHL backup… I’m glad the Oilers weren’t big players. They need improvement though.. if they make the show, they’ll be blown out, save for maybe some luck against a team like Chi town that they typically do well against.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Glorious.

11. Metal&Oil says:

Well that was a lil bit of fun. The Oiler now have a positive goal differential oh and hold the 8th seed.

12. John says:

Ummm… wow? Too happy & shocked to properly post, that is all!

13. John says:

P.s. Working in Cowgary is going to be fantastic tomorrow :)