Oilers trade 4th rounder in 2014 draft for Mike Brown

By , March 4, 2013 9:14 am

Toughness has arrived...

About fucking time. That’s all I have to say.

Mike Brown.. one of the Maple Leafs’ tough guys has been traded to the Oilers for a 4th rounder in 2014. Good pick up for the Oilers.

Here is the scouting report on Brown:

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Is a speedy, industrious forward that backs down from no one and engages in physical contact. Will drop the gloves to protect teammates. Kills penalties with aplomb.
Flaws: Doesn’t own the skill necessary to play a top-six forward role at the NHL level. Doesn’t always display the discipline needed to be an effective fourth liner. Injuries are also a factor.
Career Potential: Physical defensive energy winger.

Fits exactly into what we need, which is a useful player that is tough enough to protect our players, but can also play an important role outside of the goon role, which is PKer in his case. Also, we can use the energy too. This is really what Ben Eager should be like.

Now looking at numbers, the “kills penalties with aplomb” comment might be hyperbole. Doesn’t look like he has been much of a PKer with the teams he plays with. He does PK, but we’re talking 2nd or 3rd unit.. but that said, it’s still a good sign. Would MacIntyre get that, or Darcy Hordichuk? Hell no. Doubt we’d see Ben Eager out there ever either. So this should say that he can play a regular shift and not leak goals.

33 Responses to “Oilers trade 4th rounder in 2014 draft for Mike Brown”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

I don’t care for this, for the following reasons:

1) The PK argument falls short. Our PK is not a big problem, nor is Brown an improvement either. Some 100 minutes of PKing for a woefully terrible PK team the last three seasons.

2) I didn’t like Hordichuk because he was not a hockey player. I don’t like Brown because he is not a hockey player. If you want to win you acquire players that can play hockey. Isolating favorable traits like “truculence” is Burke practice, and we ought to stay away from it. If we cannot find multi-dimensional players, leave it and wait until we do.

3) It keeps players like Hartikainen and Pääjärvi, who ARE hockey players, from the roster.

4) If he plays an “important” role, he’ll play too much. I won’t rehash my views on the “enforcer”/”deterrent”…;)

5) Tambellini should just leave already. He has done little.

What we need is a Troy Brouwer or even a Daniel Paille – but instead we acquire a one-dimensional AHL player. That gets us nowhere, but Tambellini has “done something”, which may appease the masses for the time being.

2. Metal&Oil says:

Say what you want NO but the Oilers need a deterrent and needed it in a bad way. Sure a skill player will have to be sent down but it sure beats having a more skilled player having his head smashed into the boards without an repercussions coming his way. Now we just need to add a physical eliminate to the top 6 without sacrificing too much skill.

3. Ktown says:

I’m really on the fence here – I don’t think this addresses the real issue which is grit in our top 6. This guy is not going to open up room for Ebs, Nuge, Gagner, etc. because he won’t see the ice at the same time.

That said, Toronto fans seem pretty high on him – and from what I can see are not happy to see him go. I guess that’s a good thing.

I guess he’ll make our 4th line tougher. Perhaps he’ll even drop the mitts with the other teams’ middleweights every now and then to “send a message”. That’s great. But I just don’t see how this is going to help our top 6 who are getting outbattled, and simply can’t make it into the high traffic scoring areas.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not opposed to adding this guy at the cost of a 4th rounder, but I’m a little disappointed if this is what we’re supposed to expect in the way of addressing the team’s needs.

@NorOil: This is a guy that is a 4th liner…. you can’t judge every single trade by going down the checklist to see if we improved on every single flaw this team has.

I’ll also disagree that Paajarvi and Hartikainen are NHLers (currently).. they are NHLers on the Oilers because we have no better options. But I think Paajarvi, Lander, and Hartikainen all need more work int he AHL. They will one day be good NHLers, but that isn’t today, IMHO. Right now they are like any of the other clowns we have in our bottom six that eat up minutes without generating anything. They may not lose much ground either, but that isn’t helping. This team needs bottom six scoring. Agreed that Brown doesn’t solve that, but this pick up isn’t meant to solve that. Most every team in the NHL has a player that can scrap. The teams that have guys that can scrap and play hockey are ahead of the game, because the one-dimensional goon is useless. Brown isn’t one-dimensional. He isn’t going to put up offensive numbers though, but if you can let Tambellini know which power forward enforcer we should acquire with our 4th round picks, I’m pretty sure he’ll take your call.

I totally agree that our bottom six needs guys that can contribute. Right now I’d say we have sweet fuck all in that regard, save for Yakupov who’s just in our bottom six for shits and giggles right now.

Smyth lost his touch.. Belanger is an offensive vacuum. Horcoff is Horcoff (I think he’s good enough, personally though, for 3rd line duties). Petrell I like but he’s really an offensive vacuum too. Chris Vande Velde and Ben Eager are utterly useless bottom six guys. Hartikainen and Paajarvi and Lander might look good and sound pretty cool on paper because they’re all Nords, but really they aren’t any better at scoring than anyone else in the bottom six.. currently. One day I believe they will be though. Jones is about the only guy that can put up respectable bottom six numbers. The only two guys I’d keep of our bottom six are Jones and Horcoff.

That whole bottom six needs to be torn apart. I have no problems with a Brown pick up because he isn’t going to be the centerpiece of our bottom six. He’s a babystep, small addition to the bottom six that provides team toughness, makes the Oilers a little tougher to play against, and won’t leak chances against. He’s a 12th, maybe 13th forward.

You’re right that the PK doesn’t need his help though. But I also see his PK ability as a sign that at least he isn’t going to be a useless fucktard on skates like some other full time enforcer.

Everyone wants us to trade a 4th rounder for a guy that can score 50 goals, win 55% of the draws, throw out 200 hits in a season.. yah that would be great. And Tambo is a shitty GM, I won’t defend him or Lowe. But I see this trade as a step forward… now they need to cut out some guys like Eager, VV, Belanger (ONLY if they can upgrade him to a FO man that can score), and the Nordic line for now and replace them with bonafide NHLers… real bottom six guys.

Again, I still think Tambellini is a shitty GM, and both he and Lowe and any other guys shitting the bed should go. But I’m content with the deal because it addressed a need. Did it address every need? Of course not.

Oh one more thing to add.. grit in our top 6.. I think it’s become less and less of an issue. These guys are doing fine. Nuge is struggling, granted, but our top six.. is it really an issue? I don’t think it is so much.

At the risk of angering Steve-O, we could move Hemsky for some more top-six grit, but I don’t think these guys are the problem. It’s our free-loading bottom six that is the problem, IMHO.

Racki:

Nope.

And I recommend reading lowetide’s post today on paajarvi. I think he’s doing not bad.

As for this trade, I like the upgrade in punching and beard.

7. NorwegianOiler says:

M&O: There is nothing to suggest that anyone of Brown’s mould actually “deters” anyone from most of anything on the ice. We’ve had players like Hordichuk, MacIntyre, and others around for that purpose and we’ve still been rattled and banged around simply because our most used players aren’t big. Having small minute guys sit on the bench isn’t helping, nor is playing them a lot either, because they don’t score.

I am certainly not saying that we can acquire top talent for a 4th rounder, but that isn’t to say that it’s much of a point collecting borderline NHLers either. It is a strawman to claim that anyone expects a 4th rounder to produce a 50 goal scorer or anything of the sort. Still, I’d much rather pay up a prospect and a decent pick for someone useful than be happy to have found value for money in a lower pick for a (possibly) minor upgrade on a player we just waivered.

What I am saying is that if we cannot find talent, don’t waste roster spots on players that don’t upgrade. Skip the baby steps and make moves that can help now and down the road. Brown seems like a band-aid solution at best. I still cannot see why Tambellini doesn’t dare to give up something more tangible (like a current prospect) for a lower line player that can actually contribute something else than bodychecks and being in the right place most of the time. To me, that’s not enough for a team that aspires to win.

You don’t find a Glencross every day, nor even a (somewhat) flaky Jones, though he does pot some goals, bless him. But Brown certainly isn’t of that mould, still we don’t dare to go after types like that – because we appear more interested in filling a “team need” by some algorithm of averages. But having a fearless checker play 8 minutes doesn’t do much for Gagner, Eberle or Hemsky. It hasn’t before and won’t now. I’d much rather we spent more to find players that MAY at least produce some lower level offence. Target players that have a bare minimum of an offensive skill set, and you might eventually have someone that can pot a few. Target players that surely cannot produce offense, and that is what you will get.

I could list at least ten to fifteen plausible (if not likely) players that could help us that wouldn’t cost the farm. It isn’t so, but sometimes it looks like this franchise is destined to carry a massive gaping hole in its roster, whether it be puckmoving defensemen, “stay-at-home”-defensemen, snipers for Hemsky or simply a couple of lines of checkers that can occasionally find the net.

Oh how good this team would look if there was a Brodziak, a Glencross, a Stoll, or even a (ugh) Torres on board.

(Regarding Pääjärvi: See Steve-o’s comment and link too)

Even the Detroit Red Wings have a Mike Brown (Jordin Toot Toot). Surely if pretty much ever team in the league has guys like this, there has to be a reason. The difference between now and the 80s though is that these guys have to be able to play hockey. Mike Brown might not be Lucic, but at least he has a strength in defensive hockey.

As for Paajarvi, I read Lowetide’s link. My take from it was Paajarvi was the best of our shitty bottom six… bleeding chances at a slower rate than anyone else. That’s marvelous. He is the best of the bad bunch though and could be usable in a bottom six scenario, at least.. not my preference however (currently). It’s also possible that our bottom six is so terrible that it’s dragging Paajarvi down with it (which isn’t out of the realm of possibility).

Like I said, I think Paajarvi is a fine player and a good one to keep around (as do I still think the same of Hartikainen), but I just think he should be in the AHL right now and that whole bottom six needs to be torn apart.

I see the Brown pick up as a 12-14th forward. Not a big change, no… but I still think it addresses a need. We may not need a “deterrent”, but I’d love to have the guy that people get pissed off from. Brown might not be the guy, I don’t know. He sounds like it though. But I stress that this is a minor fix to one of many problems (with this one also being a minor problem).

Would you rather have Taylor Hall kneeing Cal Clutterbuck out of frustration and fighting Derek Dorsett, or would you rather have Mike Brown handle those guys? Ben Eager should lose his job, and the rest of the bottom six should be rebuilt.. that’s my opinion.

As far as the dream team of Brodz – Glencross – Stoll, you have no idea how often I say that. Would love those guys here, and it was absolutely stupid that we moved them (or didn’t sign, in Gx’s case)

Also NorOil, I noticed that you cleverly skirted around the fact that Mike Brown grows mean facial hair…

10. NorwegianOiler says:

Almost Parros class. Certainly well within the wife-beater realm. Now if he could make Jamie Benn his bitch…

Would I rather have Hall kneeing Clutterbuck or Brown handling him? I would rather have Hall adjusting his checks and Mike Grier’s incarnation score 15 goals. That neither here nor there ;)

Simply stated, I would have us pursue talent over physicality, though not at the expense of it. Several players have been moved or simply waived during the past seasons that have had major impact because they are actually talented. Some have grown into top six material, but all have spent time on lower lines. Purcell, Simmonds, Brouwer, Ward, Peverley, Stalberg, Grabner, down to Brodziak, Glencross and a number of others, even a Greening or Frolik. These are player types we can use, not players destined to hold out simply until they are run over by talent. If we keep getting plugs, we might even lose those who can play – like Pääjärvi and Hartikainen. I’d love to see those guys get a decent NHL center, like a Bolland, Brassard or Dubinsky – though those guys are not likely as cheap as many of the other options listed.

I just don’t see Brown as a threat at all to the Paajarvi types (note: I mean IF he plays, of course.. not in the sense that you are saying). If we lose Harti and Paajarvi, it wouldn’t be because we picked up Brown. Like I said, I see him as a 12th-14th forward providing an art that isn’t completely lost here. I am completely sold on the idea that the days of having a MacIntyre, McGratton, etc. type “deterrent” are over. But I will happily have a guy on my team that can play 8-10 minutes a night, kill penalties if we’re in a pinch, block shots, get guys off their games a bit (by thinking about getting even with Mike Brown more than what they should be thinking about).

That said, I think anyone would be foolish to say we don’t also need some of the types of players you mentioned. Like I keep repeating ad-nauseum, our bottom six is terrible and needs a complete overhaul. Jones and Horcoff are about all I keep in there, myself. Harti-Paajarvi-Lander to the minors for some more seasoning (so they can be better than the best of our leaking-offense players), Eager/Belanger wherever the heck we can sell them. Petrell, as much as I love his spirit and ability to PK, can’t help but feel that he needs an upgrade too.

I’m one of few that don’t think our top six needs that much work. I don’t think they’re much of a problem. We need some offense in the bottom six, but I don’t see Brown deterring those kinds of moves. He should make Eager and Petrell expendable in one shot on the 4th line, or allow us to be more patient with members of the Nordic trio.

A little known fact.. Mike Brown is actually 105% Viking:

I’m in complete agreement with Norbot on this one, although I will say this, he should be an upgrade on Hordichuk/Eager…and so if management insists on this type of player at least it’s a slight improvement to what we had.

Keep in mind though that he was deemed expendable in Toronto because he fell behind Colton Orr and Kyle McLaren so if that doesn’t say something I don’t know what does.

The thing that bothers me the most about all of this is in the past two months there have been(IMHO) better players than this on waivers, including a couple of centers with decent faceoff skills, but instead we give up an asset(albeit not that valuable of one, but an asset nonetheless)for another winger that can’t really play hockey.

Norbot nailed it..the NHL nowadays doesn’t have room for players of this ilk anymore, they need functional toughness, On the elite end of that players like Getzlaf, Lucic, Backes, great players like Callahan or Dustin Brown, or good players like Brouwer or Bickell that can do it all.

Unfortunately, those players don’t grow on trees, and even more unfortunate all those players that we REALLY needed for this rebuild to be successful and to build from within with, the Pitlicks, the Hamiltons and the Martindales just don’t seem like they’re going to cut it.

I keep dreaming of the this off season where a player like Lecavalier will get bought out and sign a value contract with us and then add a Nathan Horton and a Raffi Torres, and then use our assets like Hemsky and Gagner to shore up our D.

Harski and PRV surrounded by players like that I think could really learn and blossom to play to their strengths more as well.

But I digress, daydreaming again.

I don’t think anyone would argue against grabbing a Lucic or Getzlaf over an Volpatti, Sestito or Brown. But as you noted yourself, they don’t grow on trees… teams hang on to those guys. Until then, I think a guy like Brown can be helpful here because he at least can play in a regular 3rd or 4th line role and play a defensive game.

Ideally now he replaces an Eager / Vande Velde / Petrell type for now and buys us time until we can acquire our own Lucic type of guy. I can only see something like that happening via the draft though, cause again, no one is going to easily trade Lucic, or Dustin Brown until they are on the downswing.

Off the topic of Mike Brown for a moment…

Jim Matheson said in his Ask Matty column:

“I’d say defenceman Ryan Whitney is the most likely to go. He’s an unrestricted free agent and he’s been in and out of the Oilers lineup. The word is that the Blues may be looking at him now, feeling he can be a better alternative than Wade Redden or Ian Cole on the back end.”

What are the chances we could lure Backes out of there? We got Pronger from them once…

I know it would take a lot.. but you have to figure that Sam Gagner would be big value for a team right now, so with him as a piece of the puzzle going the other way, that could be a big lure. Take advantage of them (possibly) being interested in Whitney, and maybe something happens there.

Backes would address several of our needs all in one player. I know it’s a long shot, but we’ve seen big names moved before.. it wouldn’t be the first time, and I think he is the type of player any team would love to have. I’m not saying it will be easy, but we have some assets to throw their way, including Gagner (god I’d hate to see him go though), Hemsky, Whitney, and even Paajarvi and other young players that don’t seem to have a future in OUR top six.

I’m just dreaming and this is all pointless to talk about I guess cause our convos would have no bearing on whether it would happen or not .. but it’s fun to think about and churn out trade ideas sometimes… and imagine this hockey club actually having the players we need. :lol:

Racki:

Well duh…:p

I obviously wasn’t saying having them OVER a Volpatti or Sestito, I was just saying that’s the kind of functional toughness you try and get, but it’s probably the hardest thing in hockey to find, proof positive of that are the Oilers constant choosing of “Coke Machines” in that valiant quest to find the next Lucic or Getzlaf.

I guess my poorly made initial point was really just to say that I don’t know why you’d give up a pick to pick up a player type that’s been being waived regularly, moreover, a player type that just doesn’t help teams win games.

As for Backes, damn that would be amazing but I’d have to think that the wheels would have to come off severely for them to consider moving him, I think St. Louis sees themselves as cup contenders with some tweaks here and there and Backes as an integral part to any playoff success they might have. So in that sense we might be able to pillage them for some up and coming players and nice draft picks.

16. hemmerlady says:

Lively discussion. I’d say the gist is Tambo’s pulled the trigger on another pretty lateral move. I’m with NorBot in that I’d rather see a bigger, better move (or several… God help us).

I don’t think anyone disputes our need for a deterrent to Jamie Benn-esque tomfoolery. Will Brown fill that need…I don’t know.

I move to declare “Functional Toughness” [(c) Gr8one 2013] our official theme song.

I think that’s why the oilers draft the Moroz’s and such, hoping they become the top 6 tough guy.

And no to trading gagner and hemsky. Gagner is the toughest guy we have now and hemsky leads the team in goals.

The Oilers are really reaching there with Moroz, but that would be nice if he turns into a Lucician powerforward. Unfortunately Moroz is already behind that curve. But that’s also setting the bar quite high.

19. NorwegianOiler says:

Moroz doesn’t look good, really, but any pick is more likely not to pan out in the long term. I had high hopes for Pitlick, but he seems a bit lost in the mix now. His toolbox is full of interesting qualities, but the talent level seems to be stopping short of serviceable NHLer at the moment. Still time, though. Same with Hamilton.

It actually looks like a lot of those prospects “Magnificent Stu” had us excited about aren’t looking so good. I don’t think that’s necessarily his fault .. just as you noted, a lot of picks just don’t pan out.

21. mrgod2u says:

Good trade, now get a top line center who can score and win a faceoff, sell a young gun to get it, do it now before we are out of contention for the season. Otherwise we will spend 40 seconds of every powerplay in our own end, and every shot on goal 5 on 5 will be a perfect chance for their goalie to smother the puck and give his team possession back. Boston has 4 centers with over 60% on the dot, our “best” has 54%. They are a favourite to come out of the East, we are on pace to play golf.

Our skilled forwards are wasting their energy chasing the puck in our end and having to forecheck our way to goals, we need offensive zone face-off wins.

22. hemmerlady says:

Hope many positive acquisitions will be made…I’ll sure be watching Tradecentre this year but won’t hold my breath. A move I wouldn’t mind is Tambo escorted from the building with the contents of his desk.

Jesus H. Christ, what is Chicago doing that they’re 20-0-3?? I’ll have what the Hawks are having…
    remember the thread comparing our rebuild to the Hawks (was that Zach’s?)? I wonder how things will measure up at the end of our truncated season.

23. mrgod2u says:

Well to be fair we do look a lot like Chicago the first year they turned it around 2008 I think, they did better that year than we are on pace to, but I remember the play being similar, just all out offence and speed. The main difference was that they scored a lot more to balance out the lack of defence. We are kind of doing that but aren’t putting up the goals. We can still turn this season around if we get on it, but I am somewhat less optimistic than I was at the beginning of the year. One thing that they mentioned in one of the Oil Changes that stuck with me is our practice schedule for the year. With all the games crammed in (and this long-ass road trip) there are very few days where you can practice systems and work on the things that the young guys are doing wrong. The days in between games are more and more needed just to recover (this season ends with the most-ever injuries NHL-wide, I predict). So we are essentially stuck where we are with little chance to improve our game. The teams with developed systems and good habits to fall back on are pulling away from us.

I wonder if fatigue is playing a big factor too. You don’t hear that often that the Oilers have optional practices.. they do on occasion, but like you said, the games are pretty tightly packed this year. I know Justin Schultz mentioned he was fatigued earlier in the year, but he did say he was OK now. So I dunno.

I do think fatigue, inability to practice or what have you, we still have some holes to fix. There are far too many inexperienced guys playing on this team, or guys with less than “big game” filling roles.

Of our top six, really Hemsky is the only veteran… arguments for Gagner.

Of the bottom six, we have Jones, who is returning from the eye injury, Belanger who is useless offensively as good as his ability to win draws is, Yakupov, another inesperienced player, on one line. We have Eager, also useless offensively, Smyth, who completely dropped off this year, and Brown, who is somewhat unknown, but I’d say it’s safe to say there will be no offense there. Even with Brown replaced by Petrell, and Vande Velde in somewhere, we add absolutely no offense. I think teams need to be deep enough with offensive talent (and I know I’m not the only one here, since NorOil is beating that drum, re: our pick up of Brown). We have two strong lines and then it falls off a cliff after that, even with Yakupov on the 3rd line, and even though Jones can be a good point producer.

I know I supported the Brown pick up.. mainly because I think he’s an upgrade on a Lennart Petrell / Chris Vande Velde / etc. type. But I’ve always been of the belief that our 3rd and 4th lines only sees to exist to not allow as many goals as possible while our top two lines rest up. It also is a storage unit for our PKers. That’s fucked up, and needs to change.

25. dawgtoy says:

My personal fear right now is management. I say this because I think they may be starting to wonder about their job security. A difficult time for any sports organization, is the time period when a GM is starting to fear for his job and makes moves that he hopes will keep him employed. Trades of this nature rarely work. There is only so many times a coach can be fired before people start questioning the next level of management. I’d also daresay that Mr.Katz is a fairly astute business person (net worth of 2.6 billion US as of March 2013). I’m sure he’s had to fire a few people for the betterment of his empire. Some of those people may have even been friends. Business as they say is business, therefore tough choices can/will be made for the better of the business as a whole. And make no mistake the Oilers are a business, and they suck at it right now. I’m sure a timeframe was stamped on this rebuild. That timeframe likely had fairly obvious goals, which I can only assume haven’t yet been met. I’d say Mr.Katz will turn the fire on his management team, if he hasn’t already. Maybe Toronto was right in the timing to fire their GM. I fear the trades that Tambo and company may make from here to the deadline.

Thing is that the oilers as a business are doing better than ever. Once the on ice performance impacts the bottom line then Katz will care. He should care now though just based on pride of owning a non Shitty team

27. NorwegianOiler says:

mrgod2u:

No Seabrook, Keith, Byfuglien, Bickell, Brouwer, Sharp, Hossa.

The defense, secondary scoring, and checking line talent is not there. With Tambellini, I doubt it will unless it falls into his lap like first rounders.

I like parts of our play, like I have throughout the years, but I don’t like the overall direction now any more than I did a few years back. They’ve wasted value-for-money years of young players by “waiting” and not acquring decent supporting players. With the cap going down and our salaries going up, it’s not getting easier either. We might get competitive, but we still need those value for money contracts to really push into elite territory.

28. dawgtoy says:

Yes in term of generating money and and sell-outs, the business side of hockey is alive and well in Edmonton. In terms of of the on ice product, they’re awful, and I think you get my point. This team sucks right now. Blame can be laid on coaching, goals, chemistry, leadership etc, for only so long before criticism must be cast on management. I have been patient with management throughout the rebuild, until now.

29. dawgtoy says:

Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee

1 – Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini built this Oiler team top to bottom. If team tanks this season, both should be blown out. Won’t happen.

2 – Tambellini will face the music if Oilers flounder. Lowe is safe. Next GM in that scenario? Craig MacTavish.

I’d say this is exactly correct IMO.

Funny, I actually just read that and was talking about it on Lowetide.

But I think he is correct in what will happen, and also correct in that it shouldn’t happen (meaning it shouldn’t happen that ONLY Tambellini goes). And I will also add that MacTavish should not succeed either of Lowe or Tambellini, even though he likely will. There isn’t a GM without a job I’d hire though, so I’m not even sure who the next guy SHOULD be. Maybe Norwegian Oiler… damn it man, forward your resume.

31. dawgtoy says:

I’m a regular LT reader, so of course I read your comments. I’d obviously agree with you, well … maybe with the exception of NO as GM (LOL), but likely what Robin is saying would be correct given how this team operates. IF MacT was to then run this team, which I personally think is foolish, He and he alone would have to be allowed to run the team. Meaning without KLowe interference. That to me has been the problem. KLowe and MacT recently spotted in Philly. Why? Why those two without the teams GM? Scouting for team Canada … Maybe? Maybe not?

Well, that was what people were saying, that it was scouting for Team Canada. I don’t know if that is true or not. But I don’t find it a big deal if they were scouting for the Oilers though, because in many (possibly most?) cases, the GM isn’t the one doing the scouting anyways. So no big deal. There are likely too many chefs here, granted.

It is our speculation and not fact-based that Tambellini runs everything past Lowe and that Lowe is involved in every decision, however. That said though, I do think that whether it’s Lowe fucking things up, or Tambellini or someone else, Katz has to recognize who it is (all of them? just Tambo?) that isn’t getting the job done right here and find someone that will. If that means firing the whole bunch so be it. This IS a business first, and he should know that you can’t put friendship first. If these guys (Lowe, MacT, and any other OBC) get bent all out of shape over a friend firing them, well then they have a lot to learn outside of how to manage a hockey team. I think they’re pros and can handle it, even if it sucks to be shit canned. When MacT was fired as coach, he saw the writing on the wall long before, and I don’t think he sulked about it, and since he got hired back on here, it’s obvious that he didn’t hold it against Katz.

So… to sum… Katz knows what the fuck is going on more than any us speculators…. he needs to take charge of the situation how he sees fit, for the good of the team. The biggest worry would be if he’s driving the bus and fucking things up more than anyone else. Then we’re pretty much screwed. :lol:

I hope I don’t jinx the guy, but I’ll say so far this guy is proving you guys wrong.

2 dominant fights (that SHOULD have livened the team up, but not his fault that this team didn’t gain any energy from anything the last few games).
    A goal tonight.
    An unofficial assist tonight for goading Mayers into a fight that led to a powerplay on which Gagner scored.
    Contributed a small amount on the PK in the last game and looked good.
    Not showing any signs that he’s a liability on the ice (he’s been on the ice for one goal against, and I had a good look at that one, nothing that can really be considered his fault).

Our 4th round pick so far has done nothing for this team (And would not have til at least 2017). ;) Not too worried about it.

So far he’s fit in very well and been one bright side right now during a dark period!

Sure, Tambo/Lowe need to do a LOT more to fix the bottom six, but I was happy when we nabbed Brown and he’s proving some peeps wrong so far. It’s only 4 games in though, so I hope he can keep it up.

Ben Eager could learn some from him. He started off pretty for us too, then completely died off.. so hopefully Brown doesn’t go that direction too.

Anyways, solid 4th line guy.