Well, I’m thinking it’s time for another MMS.
How is everyone liking the season so far? Up until the road trip, it seems as though we have seen this story before. I wonder why that is though, cause on paper our top 6 should be one of the better ones in the league. Is it the bottom 6 forwards that are costing the team wins? Is it the defense? Team defense in general? Are we seeing the regression that can be expected of young players?
I think one thing we can all agree on is that the goaltending has been outstanding so far (with the exception of Dubnyk’s first period against Colorado). But personally I’d like to see Tambellini to add another bottom 6 forward and some quality D. Considering Whitney is getting run out of town, I wonder what he can get in return (although there is no fucking way Potter is a better D than Whitney).
- CBC’s Andi Petrillo just mentioned that Hall’s leg injury is something to do with his hamstring, and it’s not looking good for tomorrow’s game
- Horcoff was recently mentioned saying he still can’t grip the stick and is expected to be out at least another two weeks
- Also, how good are the Blackhawks? Have earned a point in every game so far, and have only lost 3 games…the road to the Cup in the west will go through Chicago I’m thinking
- The Flames signed Ryan O’Reilly to an offer sheet, which the Avs matched super quick (seriously, I’d have waited the full week just to fuck with the Flames). The funny part came just after when Sportsnet found out that he’d have to pass through waivers, so Calgary would have had to give up the 2 picks and more than likely wouldn’t have even got the player. Which is awesome. That said, could you imagine if that came out while the Avs were still contemplating it? Feaster would have been eaten alive.
- The league is talking realignment. Which will be good, but as it stands now the eastern conference divisions would have 8 teams each while the western divisions would only have 7. This is making things a little sticky, but really which eastern team do you pull over to the west? Any one you choose will be screwed over really.
Anyways, on to the standings (and fight video, and Oil Kings):
12th place isn’t so hot, but we only sit 2 points out of being tied for 8th so that counts for something I guess. Other than being lower than I’d like to see the team, the standings are pretty much exactly as expected. Based on goal diff though, I’m expecting Phoenix to move up and the Preds to move down.
Boston is pretty much the class of the east, and I’m surprised to see Montreal as high as they are…didn’t anyone tell them that they need 5+ years to rebuild, not just one? I’m expecting the Rangers to make a move up here right away, and it’d be nice to see Buffalo and Washington make a season of it.
Fight of the Week
Just happened but man, I bet Volpatti wishes that jersey didn’t rip…
Barons are currently 11th in the conference, 4 points out of a playoff spot.
Eberle and Schultz still lead the Barons in scoring, with Arcobello being the leading current scorer for the Barons at this point (45 in 50). Eberle currently sits 3rd in league scoring.
Still no Barons goaltending in the top 20, which probably is indicative of their position in the standings. If I even used that word right…no idea.
Oil Kings are still #1 in the eastern conference, a full 12 points up on second place Blades (who are hosting the Memorial cup this year, and have that rather interesting show going on right now). They still only sit second in the league to the Winterhawks but recently beat them on their US road trip (and I fully expect to see these teams in the finals again). Speaking of that, the playoff pass is on again, and I highly recommend it. $99 for all playoff games, and as I just said, I expect the team to make the finals and win it again this year.
St. Croix leads the team in scoring with 83 in 66 games, but Wruck, Samuelsson are right behind him. Lazar leads the team in goals, and should be a high pick this year in the draft. Jarry leads the league for goaltending with a 1.66/0.933 (and will also be a pretty high pick I think) but LB is just behind him at 3rd.