Oilers 1, Wild 3 – Game 16 – 2013-02-21 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW

Teddy Peckman
logo at logo
6-6-3 Record 7-6-2
Location: Rexall Place
Date: February 21, 2013 @ 7:30PM MST
TV: SNETW

Two returns tonight: the return of Tom Gilbert to Edmonton, and the “thank fucking god” return of Theodore Tiberius Peckman. I have no idea what his middle name really is… maybe Don Cherry knows. Anyways, this team is in need of some muscle, so it will be good to have him back. I suspect it will take quite a while for him to really catch up to the NHL game, having missed as much hockey as he has, in addition to playing like poop last year. I still am a believer in the skills of Theo Peckham. Sure, maybe not as good as 2010-11 made him look, but I think he’ll still be a very solid 3rd pairing guy that will bring muscle now and then. I just hope he’s completely healthy. Peckham is going to play with Mark Fistric. That will be a pretty feared pairing.. hopefully it’s the other team that fears them though, and not Krueger.

Forward lines are unknown since today was an optional skate. Absentees: Hall, Gagner, Yakupov, Hartikainen, Belanger, J. Schultz and N. Schultz. Criticize away.

“Fat guy in a little coat” gets the nod in net tonight.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nuge – Eberle
Yakupov – Gagner – Hemsky
Smyth – Belanger – Eager
hartikainen – Vande Velde – Paajarvi

Smid – Petry
N. Schultz – J. Schultz
Peckham – Fistric

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

12 Responses to “Oilers 1, Wild 3 – Game 16 – 2013-02-21 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW”

1. Metal&Oil says:

Man oh man I am pretty pumped to see Peckham back in the lineup. That pairing will be scary in both a good and bad way but I have a feeling that Pecks will surprise many of the faithful this year as this really is his last chance to secure a place on this team.

2. dawgtoy says:

How long before Ryan Whitney is granted a trade? Can’t be easy bring a healthy scratch. Can’t wait to see 45 and 24 out there bangin. Just stay out of the SinBin Teddy.

dawgtoy:
    How long before Ryan Whitney is granted a trade? Can’t be easy bring a healthy scratch.Can’t wait to see 45 and 24 out there bangin. Just stay out of the SinBin Teddy.

I’d have to think that Tambo is attempting to move Whitney (although they’ve stated they aren’t, that’s just how the Oilers do things… they typically keep their cards close to their chest). Even with a few teams having D issues, most deals don’t get done at this time of the year.

As for this being Peckham’s “last chance to secure a place on this team” (M&O).. I don’t think it is or should be. I know we have Teubert, but I haven’t seen anything yet to convince me he’s better than Peckham in any area, although I think many Oilers fans out there would like to convince themselves he is. That said, I don’t mind Teubert at all.. I just think Peckham will be the better player most likely, and still needs some time to get into game shape and regain his form from the big year, and such.

This year, the injury issue has apparently been his hip. But he had his bell rung real good a couple years ago in the Horton fight, and again last year. So hopefully that is behind him. More worried about that still being an issue.

“We questioned his professionalism away from the rink, but he’s worked hard at that”

That part sucks. I assume it is a bit of a Dustin Penner type thing… or Dustin Byfuglien.

But good to hear that he’s busted his ass getting into shape this year though. Hopefully it will show.

I love the positive things Krueger says about him though, because it’s important the team recognizes the fact that we need a guy in the lineup that is a bitch to play against. We can’t be 100% silky smooth, skill guys. We need some guys that are going to make it difficult on a team’s offense. He did that really damn well in 2010 – 2011. Even if he doesn’t get his defensive prowess back, we’re still better if he brings his bruising physical game.

Peckham should watch some early Robyn Regehr tapes. Hemsky did get the better of him once or twice (definitely on “the goal”), but I’d say more often than not, Regehr got the best of Hemsky. We need a guy that will break down forwards that linger around in our zone.

6. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki:

Possibly my favorite Hemsky goal of all, particularly the celebration! Elite!

I found the celebration rather disrespectful to the Flames.

In other words I fucking loved it!

So Hall’s hearing for the Clutterbuck charley-horse hit is today. Not sure what to say about it. I think he was clearly going for a big hit and was catching Clutterbuck not looking, but I don’t think the knee contact was intentional.

That said, you don’t get to 200-300+ hits per year and have them all squeaky clean. Clutterbuck has had many questionable ones.. hits from behind.. late hits… head hits.. catching guys not looking.. etc. etc. Not sure if he’s had any hits on knee. So I’m not exactly sympathetic, however I would much prefer a big clean hit to any form of dirty one.

In conclusion though, either way, clean or dirty, good to see someone show some give a damn in a loss. I’m thinking 1 game for a guy with no record, from the Shanahan Wheel of Justice.

9. Ktown says:

I keep watching the replay, and I’m torn. On the one hand, we finally see an Oiler level a guy that’s been a thorn in our side, but on the flip side, it was definitely not a great example of a good judgement call.

My take is that Hall definitely saw Clutterbuck coming across the middle with his head down. He was going in for a helluva hit. He broke down to get low, and obviously, you can’t do that straight legged. Unfortunately, what started out as a Don Cherry Rock ‘em Sock ‘em turned pretty bad when all Hallsy caught was leg.

I don’t think he stuck his knee out to take knee on knee (I think his knee is out as a result of breaking down to make the hit, and was never stuck out to be a weapon), but I do think Hallsy wanted to leave Clutterbuck with a bleeding nose and a heckuva bell ringing. I’m not opposed to that at all. This started as a great hockey play and finished up as a borderline dirty result.

I’d give Hall 1-2 games – reckless, injury, and the legs were taken out (knees, thighs, whatever). Granted, the target (if you can pick ‘em) was great. Messier probably loved it.

But, as far as intent to injure, etc. – nah. Unless you count wanting to knock the stuffing out of Clutterbuck as intent to injure… and, frankly, I’m really happy to see that Hall isn’t willing to take the runs and cheapshots anymore.

Everyone’s talking about the frontier justice he’ll have to face. I’m thinking this was a wakeup call to other teams that Hallsy can dish some out as well.

FYI – Love watching the Nuck fans (the ones defending Hansen to the death, the ones who defended Torres without remorse) now calling for a 10gamer. The ass clowns in this province have no f’n concept, do they?

10. dawgtoy says:

2 games for Hall, so be it. It is what it is. Wish the managerial team would make a move, fuck patience. Feel like its groundhog day and I’m getting tired of this shit. Glad to see Jones and Petrell playing tomorrow. Tough one on the road in Chicago without Hall. Maybe Eager should move up and take Hall’s spot on the top line?

Jack Michaels made a comment about moving Eager up. But then the lines today indicated that wasn’t happening. But really, either Eager or Hartikainen should slot in the top six.. and I think we’ve seen a fair bit of Hartikainen in the top six to judge that it’s not making quite the impact we’d hoped yet. So I’d try Eager too.

Anyways, I think 2 games for Hall is reasonable.