By , January 6, 2013 3:17 am

Can’t say I am too excited about it. Both sides annoyed me over this, but lots of tweets right now saying the NHL and NHLPA have reached a tentative agreement. Still some things to work out, but that will happen soon enough. It’s 5AM out east and they’re still talking.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
So that’s it, tenative deal is done. Sunday Jan 6.

Daren Millard ‏@darenmillard
Lockout is over!!!! Done!

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
A tentative agreement has been reached between NHL and NHLPA – source

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Sportsnet learned 64.3m final cap hit.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#NHLPA #NHL working on trying to resolve remaining issues. As said on @Sportsnet few remaining matters. All intertwined. Sides still at it.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Two sides settled on contract lengths of 7 years (other free agents), 8 (your own).

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Sportsnet learned length of #CBA 10 w opt out at 8 yrs.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
10-year deal with eight mutual opt-out, $64.3 M 2013-14 cap, 7-year max contracts (8 for own players); believe 2 compliance buyouts

Question 1: why am I still up?
Question 2:

Are you happy the lockout is over?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

34 Responses to “Multiple media sources report lockout is over… tentative deal reached between NHL and NHLPA”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

I like that hockey’s back, but I’m not stoked about any level of the process that brought about this stoppage either.

Now, let’s get back NHL hockey and kick start the FHL season too!

Looking forward to game day chats with you guys again!

The way I’ve looked at all this over the duration is it’s just like normal negotiations that are inherent with any union-owner labour work stoppage. The difference is this is more publicized, more closely monitored and magnified, closer to people’s hearts and over-analyzed. It’s the ugly side of the business. It seemed somewhat scripted all the way through as well.

Timing is interesting as well, might take some of the heat off Hockey Canada? Anyway, glad it is over, that the length of the deal is decent and looking forward to seeing the players do what they do best.

It’s bittersweet. I’m stoked about hockey but with disgusted with the whole ordeal. It should be very interesting to see how the Oilers do this year and how the draft is going to work.

Not sure how much I’ll be kicking around here, it’s my final year of university and I have both classes and practicum this semester again!

4. Alan-NottsUK says:

I can’t wait for it to get started again.

Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov & Schultz should make for some great entertainment.

5. NorwegianOiler says:

Let the Oilers related disappointments begin! :D

haha , well said N.O.!

It wouldn’t happen, but I would love if fans struck back…. I’d love to see the first game of this season be nearly empty of fans. That would send a message to the NHL/NHLPA to stop being a bunch of assholes.

According to TSN’s Aaron Ward:
    - The players’ share of hockey-related revenue will drop from 57 percent to a 50-50 split for all 10 years.

- The league coming off their demand for a $60 million cap in Year 2, meeting the NHLPA’s request to have it at $64.3 million – which was the upper limit from last year’s cap. The salary floor in Year 2 will be $44 million.

- The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million.

- The 10-year deal also has an opt-out clause that kicks in after eight years.

- Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season. The buyouts will count against the players’ overall share in revenues, but not the team’s salary cap.

- The salary variance on contracts from year to year cannot vary more than 35 per cent and the final year cannot vary more than 50 per cent of the highest year.

- A player contract term limit for free agents will be seven years and eight years for a team signing its own player.

- The draft lottery selection process will change with all 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated.

- Supplemental discipline for players in on-ice incidents will go through NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan first, followed by an appeal process that would go through Bettman. For suspensions of six or more games, a neutral third party will decide if necessary.

- Revenue sharing among teams will spread to $200 million. Additionally, an NHLPA-initiated growth fund of $60 million is included.

- Teams can only walk away from a player in salary arbitration if the award is at least $3.5 million.

- The NHL had hoped to change opening of free agency to July 10, but the players stood firm and it remains July 1 in the new agreement. But with a later ending to the season, free agency for this summer will start at a later date.

Also, speculation is it will be a 50 game season, with the season starting January 15th.

9. Metal&Oil says:

Racki:

Won’t happen here or in other strong markets but places where the game already had a spotty attendance record (i.e. Pheonix, Columbus Florida ect….) will more then make up it. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a bunch of games with less then 5000 spectators this year. The leauge and union will still see the damage that has been done, the occasional fans are the ones who have the discipline to stay away from the games.

10. dawgtoy says:

I’ve been smiling since I first read the good news this morning. My wife thinks I’m happier today then the day we got married…she’s wrong. I have read everything I could get my hands on today, and I can’t wait for training camp. I can’t wait for Schultz and Yak to score their first goals. To see our power play. To yell at Horcoff. I am a hockey fan, but first and foremost an Oiler fan. I love the game. Did I like the lockout….no. Do I respect the lockout…no. But I’m cheering them on whether they win or lose. Can’t wait to kick the Flames ass. Basically I’m happy. I want to eat, sleep and shit Oiler hockey. I’m not the only one. Many will be all poopy pants and glass half empty…blah blah blah protest the games, boo them, I’ll never buy another sweater…whatever. Go Oil. Lets get a hockey pool going! Game on!!!

11. dawgtoy says:

Looks like a 48 game schedule starting Saturday, Jan 19th. Nothing like opening the season on Saturday vs the Alberta rival Calgary Flames. Info as per Terry Jones on twitter. I’d be assuming they would be the late game on Hockey night in Canada. #Game on!

12. dawgtoy says:

Oil change season 3 as well!

13. NorwegianOiler says:

dawgtoy:
    Oil change season 3 as well!

Confirmed?

14. Metal&Oil says:

NorwegianOiler: Confirmed?

Yep!!! Aquila Productions ( @OilChange3 ) announced it on twitter this morning

15. NorwegianOiler says:

Metal&Oil: Yep!!! Aquila Productions ( @OilChange3 ) announced it on twitter this morning

Golden!

16. John says:

I feel wierd about this; obviously as soon as game #1 is on tv I will be sitting on the couch with a beer & chips but not at all excited about it? Also I already kinda moved on in terms of living my life especially in the evenings. I took up learning electric guitar (not very good yet but very much enjoying!), & basically let the wife take over the tv. Now I will have to come up with a new CBA for television rights with my wife I guess lol.

17. oilinblood says:

Man Dens = Marriage savers

Good to have that Lock-out crap over with and soon start talking about meaningful hockey topics.

I would point out that the timing of the deal makes sense, considering the NHLPA was to be in court monday morning to defend against the leagues lawsuit. Likely the disclaier would have been presented to the league at midnight and we would be headed down a long road of litigation ending with a very different NHL.

18. Metal&Oil says:

And the Oilers dumb luck begins “Taylor Hall heading for stitches to close cut above eye, sustained after tripping on stairs and knocking heads with Jordan Eberle. … Yup” -Josh Wingrove *Globe & Mail

Well, I’m warming up more and more to the thought of an NHL season. I’m still pretty annoyed at both sides, but hockey will win me over, cause I’m a stupid fan ;)

Bring it on!

As for Hall’s injury.. typical of this team, but at least it’s just a cut. N.B.D. As long as it isn’t like his last cut. :lol:

Metal&Oil:

10 bucks says he was plastered.

$20 says that they were having chicken fights on the stairs

22. dawgtoy says:

Racki, any thoughts to a POTF hockey pool like in the past? I’m not sure who the admin was for it, but I enjoyed it.

We’ve got the keeper going, but gr8one was trying to organize some peeps for a Yahoo pool…

Check out this thread:

24. NorwegianOiler says:

Mark Fistric is an Oiler (3rd rounder going to Dallas). A slightly better Peckham, but that’s about it. I’d take him over cement feet Sutton, though.

25. Metal&Oil says:

NorwegianOiler:

Edit: Good read on what to expect from fistric: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/1/12/3738412/dallas-stars-mark-fistric-cba-nhl … Sounds like a perfect match with the Oilers!!

Good deal for a quality 3rd pairing guy. Really this is exactly the type of player I was hoping for. Big bodied, heavy hitting shot blocker. Probably means that Peckham is on the way out(mixed feelings on that).

26. NorwegianOiler says:

I suspect he’ll get a warm welcome. Hard hitter, local lad. But as M&O says, it doesn’t bode well for TeddyPeckman, nor for the likes of Teubert or Plante.

27. dawgtoy says:

Racki:

Check out this thread:

Thanks Rack

28. dawgtoy says:

As per Rishaug

Fistric averaged 16:30 per game in Dallas last season. Third on team with 105 blocked shots, 2nd with 235 hits (5th among d in league)

29. John says:

Fistric deal is a decent move by Tambi, be nice to have another big body to bang back at teams like Calgary, Vancouver, & San Jose!

Now he has to do some work on getting a proper goaltender here.

31. oilinblood says:

fistric is LHD but ive seen him play the right side alot and seems to be able to account for the reach handicap being on his wrong side when targeting players and directing them. He also seems to be able to make up for the wrong side handicap by being very strong down the centre and if he is going to take you on the outside he is more likely to do it with his body (should be some sweet hits) and finish you off.
    One thing is that he really needs a solid dman partner in able to do these things. Its a rare skill to be able to play your wrong side defensively. I hope he clicks with Whitney… or we move Whitney or Petry for a guy like Boychuk.

Also, rumor has it Dallas had suitors for Fister and Niewsy approached him with his thoughts. Fisty wanted Edmonton. Thats the buzz… Niewsy took a tiny bit less to send Fister where he was happy going.

(BTW buzz means just that… I dont oay any attention to Hockey Buzz/Eks shyte.

If people think of Fister as a Ulanov type (i was a big Ulanov fan –and if i am correct i seem to recall Rack is a Uly fan too) they wont be dissapointed or oversold on him.

I was indeed an Ulanov fan ;) Although as MacTavish said, he was dangerous at both ends of the rink. I’m not so sure he meant it in that way though.. lol (he said it after Ulanov scored) But at any rate, I like the huge hitters, and he was one of our best in a while.

Fistric indeed can play the right side, and played quite a bit of RHD in Dallas, from what I understand. Thats just one of the good things going for him.

I also wanted to bring up something I mentioned elsewhere.. Nick Schultz is one of our more underrated D. Silently out there not making mistakes. I think we have a much better D this year if everyone stays healthy.

Our D pairings at practice right now are:

Smid Petry
    Whitney Fistric
    N. Schultz J. Schultz

OIB, I would not trade Petry anywhere. I’ve always been a fan. I like Boychuk though. It is no secret however (I think), that I don’t much care for Whitney. I am moreso just tired of the injury issues though. But I was never happy about moving Visnovsky to begin with. Anyways, I’d love Johnny Boychuk. That said, we’d probably be stacking things back up to being more set on defensive defensemen with that move. I’m not sure who I’d prefer to move for Boychuk though, since i’m pretty set on the other guys on the team.

33. oilinblood says:

I am, and have been fir a while, a big fan of nick. I consider him the forgotten defenseman of our corps. I honestly just feel alot of oiler fans dont really follow other teams or tgeir players and just think geography alone provides them all encompassing hockey knowledge.
    Note, nick wasnt on the ice fir an even strength goal against for his first five games. Not bad on a new team which is in 28 th spot.

Notes… Nick got an alternate captaincy…alternating alternate with hall i believe. Eberle got.permanent alternate.

Sorry about typos. Tryong to used to using the note pen and dragging. Might give up and continue with finger. Booo.

I throw this quote out a lot, but my favorite Kevin Lowe quote (paraphrased, cause it’s from memory) is along the lines of: you know a defenseman is doing his job when you don’t notice him on the ice. That’s Nick Schultz.