By , January 24, 2013 7:49 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings
logo vs logo
1-1-0 Record 0-2-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: January 24, 2013 @ 7:30PM MST
TV: TSN

Tonight the Edmonton Oilers face the defending Stanley Cup Champions – the Los Angeles Kings. The Kings would probably like to use their Stanley Cup hangover as an excuse, but in a lockout season, that won’t fly too well. They’re off to an 0-2 start so far with a 5-2 loss to the Blackhawks on opening night, and a 3-1 loss to the Avalanche on Tuesday night. The Oilers narrowly squeaked out a 3-2 shootout, comeback win vs. the Canucks on Sunday and had their asses handed to them vs. the Sharks on Tuesday (6-3).

I think the Oilers let their reputation of being a much improved, solid team play the first period for them on Tuesday as the Sharks racked up 6 goals in the period. Brutal. They seemed to wake up in the 2nd and 3rd, but by then it was too late. The Oilers got into some early penalty trouble (including a 3-on-5), and the Sharks capitalized. They scored on every (3) powerplay in the 1st period.

The Oilers are going to need a much better start tonight vs. the Kings, and will need to keep it going. To be cliche, they will need to play a complete 60+ minutes. Waiting on news from Twitter as to any lineup changes, but hopefully we finally see Mark Fistric. I’ll be watching this one in person tonight, by the way… so I hope it’s a big win.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Yakupov – Gagner – Hemsky
Smyth – Horcoff – Paajarvi
Hartikainen – Belanger – Petrell

Smid – Petry
N. Schultz – J. Schultz
Whitney – Fistric

Dubnyk
Danis

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

7 Responses to “Oilers 2, Kings 1 (in OT thanks to SHIT refs) – Game 3 – 2013-01-24 @ 7:30 PM MST – TSN”

1. Metal&Oil says:

Looks like Fistric finally gets the call. Potter looks to be coming out of the lineup but I would have made Whitney sit. In my eyes he has been the worst player on the ice through 2 games.

2. oilinblood says:

i would say potter is the right call to take out. he has been rediculously bad… like might as well put in some kid from a bantam team. Whitney hasnt been good either but man is Potter lucky officials dont give him a minus for every dumb read, horrible gap control, using his stick at the dumbest possible times, not using his stick when he should and just making the oilers look like they are trying to field another AHL defense. weakest link on a defense can turn you into an AHL team in a hurry.

Wow, what a game! Didn’t make it onto the chat, but can’t wait for Racki’s recap. I know it’s only the 3rd game of the season, but the emotion, the response after the Sharks game, the response to the disallowed goal, the connection to the crowd – this was huge IMO.

This is a defining moment for this team. There will be ups and downs during the rest of the season but this is a game they can always look back to and draw from. To do it against the defending champs is also a nice bonus!

Love it and very proud of the Oilers tonight!

4. John says:

Too many high & low emotions for this early in the season! Reffs nearly destroyed what was an otherwise awesome game. Calling back an Oiler goal which was clearly bullshit cause Skuderi pushed Gags into Quick, then sucking up to the Oilers by calling a marginal TMM penalty on LA leading to the winning goal. Oh well, at least the boys were rewarded for a very well played game although Whitney pissed me off a lot, he looked slightly better than a pylon when he played the point on the PP! If they play that well against the FLamers on Saturday the Oil will win handily ;)

Well, what can I say… what can I say.

To start, I’ve been to some awful games.. a 10-1 loss… a 9-2 or 9-something loss… this was 59 minutes of the WORST hockey I’d ever seen, thanks to the most brutally called game I’ve ever seen. Mick McGeough would be proud.

Most of the fans were absolutely enraged. I normally hate when people bitch about refereeing, but this was all deserved. I didn’t mind the fact that I got a bit of splash damage on me from drinks raining down from wherever. The refs deserved it. They were complete idiots.

Gagner’s goal being disallowed was absolute bullshit. Krueger said the ref told him it was because while Gagner was pushed into the net, he made no attempt to leave the crease. Uhhhhh… I don’t believe that is correct. Many of the penalties were ridiculously bad. Terrible officiating all around. The Kings had a couple bad calls against them too in the “even up” 2nd period, but I don’t think they have anywhere near anything to complain about after the refs controlled the game in their favor for much of the game.

Anyways, the atmosphere there was playoffs. It was insane, and a lot of fun, despite it being loud for the wrong reasons for much of that 3rd period.

What an end to the game though when the hockey gods righted all the wrongs that we received. I sure as hell hope to god that these refs get fined, because they called that game terribly all night.

How about that Yakupov, btw?? Some might not love the celebration, but with the craziness in that building, I don’t know how you couldn’t do the Theo Fleury stick ride/slide up the boards and backflip celebration let alone just a slide across the ice.

6. Metal&Oil says:

Mick McGeough was the officiating supervisor tonight. Need I say more?

7. hemmerlady says:

Metal&Oil:
    Mick McGeough was the officiating supervisor tonight. Need I say more?

For real? That explains that. @racki: Must have been so exciting when The Yak tied it up! Crazy. I yelled so loud I’m sure I freaked out my landlords.