Oilers 3, Sharks 6 – Game 2 – 2013-01-22 @ 8:00 PM MST – TSN

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. San Jose Sharks
logo vs logo
1-0-0 Record 1-0-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: January 22, 2013 @ 8:00PM MST
TV: TSN

The home opener! Sounds like plenty of goodies are being given away at the first three home games. I get to go to home game #2, but will be watching this one on the moving picture box.

The first game went pretty well. Our boy Justin Schultz (or “Jultz” as he seems to now be dubbed in the Oil universe) had a pretty solid debut. Poise. Oodles of poise. This kid is going to be a hell of a player. Of course, it’s just game one. I was also happy with Yakupov even though most of the Oil world seem to be giving him a hard time on at least one of the two goals against in the Sunday game. I don’t fault him at all. One could be classified as a “rookie mistake” at best – the mistake being not knowing when to make the easy play. This was on the attempted pass to Hemsky when he was in the better shooting position. It led to a turnover, yes, but I don’t blame him. This will come with confidence. Not to worry. The other goal, he was following Sedin into the corner. Sedin passed it out front, past an onlooker in Whitney, to Kassian, who Gagner and Whitney both abandoned in front of the net. You’d be reaching to blame this one on Yakupov.

Anyways, I’m hoping to see more good play from the young guys tonight. Eberle, Petry and Horcoff all seem to be playing pretty inspired, so I’m hoping they keep that going. Hall looks good, but not Taylor Hall good just yet (plus two penalties the first game.. tsk tsk). The Nuge needs to get going, but I have confidence that he will.

Enjoy the game folks! Not sure if I’ll be around for the GDT chat, but please feel free to stop in.. generally people pop in at scattered times, so if you hang in the chat, eventually a few will be in there.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Yakupov – Gagner – Hemsky
Smyth – Horcoff – Hartikainen
Paajarvi – Belanger – Petrell (I didn’t even know he was on our NHL roster)

Smid – Petry
N. Schultz – J. Schultz
Whitney – Potter

Dubnyk
Danis

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

7 Responses to “Oilers 3, Sharks 6 – Game 2 – 2013-01-22 @ 8:00 PM MST – TSN”

1. dawgtoy says:

@KatieStrangESPN: #Isles Niederreiter seeking trade — ESPN — http://t.co/v55QYPGS
    Maybe he’d like to come back and play in the West for coach Krueger. He’d sure look good in orange.

2. NorwegianOiler says:

Give them Pääjärvi for Niederreiter. Same draft pedigree, same career trajectory, possibly same need for some change?

Not that I have anything against Pääjärvi, his latest “I know my new role” interview was encouraging. If he could only develop a taste for blood and check someone a bit nastily every now and then…

I’d do Paajarvi for Knightrider in a minute…I don’t think the Isles would though.

4. Metal&Oil says:

Gonna have to catch this one on PVR :(

Go Oilers GO!!!

4-1 for the good guys

I think trading Paajarvi for Nintendorider would be a fairly even exchange. I don’t typically like guys that ask for a trade out though… especially that early in his career. Not a good sign. I’m not sure he’d like it much more here either, since he’d be taking on a smaller role here than he likely wants (checking winger).

However, that said, the article states that it sounds like he wants out of there because the Islanders are screwing him over. i.e., they kept him on the team to get them over the cap floor hump in a cheap manner. Not smart, as they are screwing over his development by doing that if they aren’t using him. I’d hate to see the same happen to Paajarvi there.

I have always liked him though.. he’s gritty too… brings some size we need. He could easily play in a checking role without needing any remolding.

Paajarvi has all the right attitude though of a player who is being made into a checking winger cause we need a checking winger. That’s not to say that he didn’t have his chance as a top six guy here though.

I would definitely prefer Nintendorider to Paajarvi in the role that we need one of them in though.

I actually thought Nino was a true center, I see he’s a winger…so that even things up a little more than my original thoughts, I’d have to say Racki summed up my feelings on it pretty adequately.

For the record, Danis got his faux-shutout . :P