Oilers 3 at Canucks 2 (SO) – Game 1 – 2013-01-20 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNETW

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks
logo at logo
0-0-0 Record 0-1-0
Location: Rogers Arena
Date: January 20, 2013 @ 7:00PM MST
TV: SNETW

I’m liking that I don’t have to choose a new GDT pic for this one, since the Oil start the 2012/13 season the same way they finished the 2011/12 season.. playing Vancouver. Hopefully this time the Oilers will have more jump in their step. The Cancuks got SMOKED last night 7-3 by the Anaheim Ducks, and, believe it or not, 5 of those goals were on Cory Schneider.

Who here is NOT excited to see Justin Schultz and Nail Yakupov play their first NHL game? Hell, I’m excited to see all the existing Oilers, never mind the new ones. But I’m also anxious to see Mark Fistric play his first game with us too. Too bad it won’t be game 1 though, as according to Dan Tencer, he’s scratched for game 1, and Corey Potter is in. Strange choice. I like Corey Potter, but I think you go with your muscle in the divisional games. Is Fistric not ready to play yet?

Hopefully this will be a good one, as this has a lot of promise.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Yakupov – Gagner – Hemsky
Smyth – Horcoff – Hartikainen
Eager – Belanger – Petrell (I didn’t even know he was on our NHL roster)

Smid – Petry
N. Schultz – J. Schultz
Whitney – Potter

Dubnyk
Danis

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

9 Responses to “Oilers 3 at Canucks 2 (SO) – Game 1 – 2013-01-20 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNETW”

1. Metal&Oil says:

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing about Fistric in a divisional game. Anyways it’s good to finally see a GDT up on the site!!! I am a lil worried about playing the Canucks the day after the got smoked. Playing a team that just got their asses handed to them often turn into very hard games. Anyways Go Oil Go!!!!

3-2 Oilers in a shootout

2. Alan-NottsUK says:

I can’t wait for this, less than 14 hours to go, just a warning I may be slightly drunk staff night out starting at 7 my time, game starts at 2am my time :D

These game day chats now work on iOS and Android (used to work on Android before, but they dumped flash.. and it was kind of flakey before.. now it works perfectly).

I can’t wait!! Agree, seems kind of strange not to have Fistric playing, maybe they are thinking about icing the lineup that has the best chance to put on an offensive show for the debut?

I’m of course excited to see Nail and Schultz but I’m just as excited to see five players that I think will be keys to the Oilers taking a big step forward(aside from the other big three) and that’s Gagner, Hemsky, Whitney and Harski and Dubnyk.

I too have a bit of a bad feeling of the Canucks coming off getting thrashed coupled with opening night jitters for the Oilers. Something Tells me Dubnyk will need to stand on his head in the first period to keep us in it!

Go Oilers!!

5. phawley says:

Metal & Oil – Great prediction!
    Second year reader and first time posting here.
    I really thought the game was going sideways until Eberle had that sweet tough angle goal. In fact every puck that the Oilers put in the back of the net was nice. I am excited to see how Hemsky progresses this year!
    Great site Steve-o, always very informative.

It’s just been announced that Ben Eager has a concussion.. evidently suffered from the fight with Zack Kassian.

7. NorwegianOiler says:

Congratulations to Eager for ending his Oiler career then. Too bad, I think, because there’s a player in there behind the bad fighting, who can skate, hit and forecheck. Rough luck for him, but with two concussions in two seasons, he’s not going to get rewarded with any new contract with us.

Are you aware he still has another year to go on his contract after this year?

9. NorwegianOiler says:

I am, and his mushy brain will be keeping him out of action for the majority of the contract’s duration, sadly. At least it wasn’t Tulupov this time.