Monday Morning Standings – I assure you, we are still open Edition

By , November 22, 2012 11:38 am
We suck.. sorry.. the hockey lockout has killed our desire to make posts.

We suck.. sorry.. the hockey lockout has killed our desire to make posts.

Since it’s been a while lets take a look-see at what has happened in the last little bit.

No NHL hockey. That’s what fucking happened. Unfortunately it seems that I really don’t give a shit, which is probably the worst thing for the NHL to hear as I’m sure I’m not the only one.

But for real, I have found myself not caring in the slightest (which you can probably tell from the flood of posting going on here). I have discovered that between my beer league and the WHL, I am perfectly content hockey-wise. Don’t even watch the AHL.

Anyways, lets see what’s going on around in the world lately:
1) NHL and the PA are actually meeting so that’s a plus. I don’t really think there will be a season personally (and as mentioned above, doesn’t really bother me apparently), but at least they are doing something and not sitting on their asses. I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I am fully on the players side in this little kerfuffle so I hope they really stick it to the owners.

2) Edmonton Oil Kings are currently sitting 3rd in their conference, and just got back a couple of good players from injury. Things are looking good for them to make a good push and try to repeat as WHL champs. Pretty excited about that really.

3) Oh, and they traded for Musil, so if you want to see some Oilers prospects play in the W, you’ll have to come to a Oil Kings game as all 4 play for the team (Ewanyk, Musil, Moroz and Gernat (who is currently injured, should be back in Jan)).

4) OKC Barons are currently 4th in their conference, which isn’t too bad. Schultz, Eberle and the Nuge are playing well (I guess) and Hall is looking good since he’s returned from injury. I guess the games are alright, but I’ve only watched the one on Sportsnet and it…well, it was just like watching the Oilers. Except all the different numbers keeps fucking me up. Peeps who watch it more often though, are the kids just floating or are they trying?

5) Hemsky had a hat-trick in the Czech league. Eat it!

6) Non-hockey now, but that Tillman trade seemed to work out exactly as he was hoping I assume. Glad to see the fucker fired for that stupid trade. Hope Ray wins.

7) SEAHAWKS! Wooooooooooooooo!

8) Ummm…I can’t really think of anything else.

9) Oh, Katz fucked up real good on the arena deal. Good job asshat. And good riddance.

10) Racki here for this one… some lockout talk as of late… namely an offer from the NHLPA.. doesn’t sound to me like they’re that far off on the make whole stuff now, per James Mirtle. Please give his article a read, as it’s quite good. I butchered it last night on Twitter with a couple messed up stats, but here is a much better look at it, followed by an explanation afterwards:

NHL/NHLPA Proposals

Click image for a bigger picture

OK, So an explanation.. the way I understand it, there are a few main proposals that have been tossed out (I’m sure there are more, but the important ones are listed above).

First off, I based the first year money on the same number Mirtle gave, which is an estimate of HRR if the season is shortened (but I think presuming it starts right away). The following year, I used Mirtle’s assumption of a small 2.5% increase in HRR… so again his number. For the rest though, I used the 7.2% increase that the NHL has averaged over the past 7 seasons (again, props to Mirtle for that information).

Looking at the 1st row of headings, we have ($M)… just noting that all figures are in

millions of dollars

(insert Dr. Evil quote here). The section below that…HRR stands for “Hockey Related Revenue” by the way, for those that don’t know. You can google up what all that includes on your own. “Existing Contracts” column is the amount of all contracts that are out there, summed up (sorry, missed an s on “contracts”). “Make Whole Amount ($M)” – this is the amounts of make whole money being offered in each proposal (that is, the amount to add in to account for money the players will lose). “Player’s Share of HRR ($M)”.. self explanatory.. this is the amount in $ the players would get (assuming a certain growth in HRR) to them each year of the CBA. The last column, “Player’s Share of HRR (%) is the actual percentage that the player’s would get (again, assuming a certain growth in HRR) from this proposal.

In the chart, “50/50 proposal” is the NHL’s proposal of splitting HRR 50/50.. with no make whole amount added on. So in other words if HRR is $2900M, each side gets $1450M.
“NHL New Proposal” is a proposal in which the NHL apparently offered $211M in Make Whole. I don’t know if this is really the breakdown they offered, I just split it this way based on a percentage of the NHLPA proposals Mirtle relayed. “NHLPA New Proposal” is the newest NHLPA proposal in which they are asking for $393M in make whole money. The “Split Difference Proposal” is a proposal Mirtle suggested in which the players and owners meet halfway with their make whole amounts.. meeting at $302M.

In each of these proposals (Except for the 50/50 proposal), it looks like the players will actually earn a bit more than the NHL over the course of the CBA. If I did all this stuff right (which, I already butchered on Twitter a couple times last night), then it looks like the owners and players are fighting over a small difference now.. they seem to be about 1% of HRR apart now, or about $182M over the full CBA term apart.. or $36.4M / year apart. If what James Mirtle said about $20M in revenue being pissed away each day of this lockout, this seems like something they should just both meet halfway on and say “screw it”. Why be stubborn about your “fair proposal” if in the long run you both lose over it?

/End Racki

21 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – I assure you, we are still open Edition”

Steve-O’s title suggestion was surprisingly more family friendly than my “Holy Shit, They Actually F-ing Posted Edition”.

Enjoy all.. some reading for your almost-weekend.

Other news not mentioned… Hamrliks comments, calling out Donald Fehr, have raised a shit storm for him.

3. Metal&Oil says:

I have been getting my hockey fix solely from the AHL and really besides the shitty feeds there ain’t much difference (for Oiler fans at least).

I’ve seen about 75% of the games and some things that have stood out for me are:

1) Holly shit Justin Schultz!!!!

2) The Nuge is tied for 4th in AHL points but he is usually the one making his linemates better. This season I think it is working the other way around. Maybe it is just me but he doesn’t seem to have that same dynamic effect as he had last season. (Mini sophomore slump IMO). Maybe it is just me or perhaps the Nuge’s skill is just captured better in HD.

3) Teemu Hartikainen is the real deal. Great size, Physical, A monster in from of net and a Good shot (did anyone see his snipe from yesterdays game?) I still can’t beleave that 162 players were selected in front of him in the 2008 draft!!!

4) Jordan Eberle is well……. The same old Jordan Eberle. I don’t buy the argument that his Shooting % is bound to drop dramatically. Nope, not for one second do i buy into that.

5) There is an NHL future for Martin Marincin in the near future (I am guessing he will be a fixture in Edmonton by the 2014-2015 season).

Racki:

Good for Hamrlik. I bet the majority of players silently agree with him. As for news and such, I pretty much could give a shit at this point. I fon’t care about meetings or HRR or old has been Leafs. I just want to watch some hockey. Truth be told, I wish the KHL games were in tv. What I have seen is terrific. It reminds me of the old days when nobody trapped except Montreal. You know…fun to watch.

A big middle finger to both sides. Even if it comes back this year…..I will take a month or so to get interested. I am simply apathetic at this point.

I can’t say I disagree with Hamrlik at all, but stuff like that could make it pretty hard on their side in negotiations… once you start seeing the signs the other side is cracking, you start to want to wait it out a bit longer..

Anyways, it’s silly the amount they’re fighting over, and how much they’re losing while doing so. Stubborn assholes.

6. Pou says:

How could you be firmly on the side of the players? If it weren’t for the owners they’d be making minimum wage and working paper hat jobs. Even if they had college degrees, there’s no way they’d make the kind of money they make in 1 season in the NHL. They’re just as guilty and greedy as the owners.

I’d say both the owners and players are idiots, period.

Pou:
    How could you be firmly on the side of the players?If it weren’t for the owners they’d be making minimum wage and working paper hat jobs.Even if they had college degrees, there’s no way they’d make the kind of money they make in 1 season in the NHL.They’re just as guilty and greedy as the owners.

I’d say both the owners and players are idiots, period.

This particular article was by Steve-O, who is very pro PA, but I wanted to say that I agree with you.. both sides can shove it. Both sides are being very stubborn.. losing big money by the day, just to get their way.

8. Metal&Oil says:

Let’s not forget that all of us fans share in the blame too. We all immediately jumped right back on the ship following the last lockout and now both the owners and players are taking us for granted. It’s a stretch to say that won’t happen again (at least in Canada and the strong American markets) but we should all do everything in our power to not give these greedy fucks a cent of our hard earned money. I know for me I won’t be subscribing to Center Ice anymore, won’t be buying any NHL/NHLPA merchandise or attending any games for the foreseeable future (I am gonna try to stay away from spending my dollars on NHL/NHLPA stuff until the next CBA expires, without any games being delayed/cancelled). Really the only thing I will do is watch the games that are on channels I would pay for anyways.

Also if I were on the NHL negotiating team I would have a few teams (Like Florida, Columbus Phoenix ect. ) have their owners leak some fictitious (perhaps) rumors to the media about how they are considering folding their money losing teams. I bet the possibility of contraction would have the union shaking in there boots about the loss of jobs that would be associated with this.

Another Also:
    In Bob Makenzie’s latest lockout article( http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410081 ) he speculates that the union is now considering decertification and taking the NHL to court to make the lockout illegal.

The NFLPA tried this last year and won the ruling of the court, that ruling was then reversed and then the PA lost the appeal of the reversal (the court system is fucked lol).

If it is possible I think things are about to get much worse in the coming weeks. Ugh……Could you imagine the NHL without the draft??? Maybe that would provide Oilers Brass with more motivation to not suck balls year after year.

9. hemmerlady says:

OMG blogness! Welcome back. I was starting to hear Michael Bolton songs in the background whenever I typed in your URL.

chucker:

A big middle finger to both sides.

Yeah!!
    (and if I could think of a way to make this comment dirtier, I would do it.)

I am pro-PA indeed, and here are my reasons:
    1) Owners locked out the players, players were willing to play while negotiating. So the fact that we currently have no hockey is directly on the owners.

2) We all agree that the league earns 3+ billion per year. And the players are the 700(ish) best hockey players on the world. Right. Well, if that is the case, then I’m of the belief that the 700 best individuals in any profession get paid well. And they should be. Why not? There are CEO’s and such that pull in millions per year.

Considering I watch the NHL for the talent being put on display, I’m fine with them making 60% of the HRR (the whole what is/isn’t HRR is a whole other debate). I certainly wouldn’t watch the NHL teams at the prices they charge if they brought in replacement players. Would you?

They are earning pretty much exactly what the market will bear. Complaining about someone making more than the average person just seems like jealousy to me. What about movie stars? Those CEO’s and executives I mentioned earlier? Should we cap what any individual should earn at $150k (granted that would make my blackened socialist heart happy)? Any I don’t buy that doctors/teachers (other profession deemed more useful) are not earning that much so why are they crap. I’ve met more doctors and teachers that don’t even deserve min. wage than those that currently earn their $.

3) Finally, I’m pretty sure this whole thing is more owner vs. owner than player vs. owner.

Edit: 4) Oh, another one. I don’t buy that any of the owners are really losing all that much money. If they were, you’d see a whole lot more teams up for sale (outside PHX). I think these “losses” are more creative accounting combined with their real businesses (plus Cult of Hockey has that recent post re: the Panthers who Forbes said lost 7mil, but the team actually makes 10mil as per private accounting – or something like that, Racki knows what I’m talking about, I just think the teams don’t open their books because anyone would see they screw the system). So this just seems like me that the owners keep trying to take and take. Greedy bastards.

Anyways, thems the reasons why. I’m sure most don’t agree and I’m fine with that. It’s possibly because as mentioned above that I’m a socialist bastard (go unions! tax the rich! more social programs!). For what it’s worth, I was pro-owner last time around and I think the current system works.

Even if Florida makes ten million in profit, that is equivalent to two middle to upper range defensemen but with a whole lot of planning (82 games, flights, staffing….lots of work is the point) and their initial investment is hundreds of millions. Maybe it’s just me but I think owners take ALL the risk and I am happy that they should see good profits on their businesses.

As for the “willing to play while negotiating” …. I still loathe Fehr for stealing a World Series from my Expos…..THAT, is precisely why they are locked out.

I am not saying owners are blameless for their own stupid decisions either. That is all on them, not the players. Both sides have their warts to me. Neither is appealing to me after all thus crap knowing they should have had this dealt with before the end of last season. It’s all about egos at this point and it really disgusts me.

Like I said earlier, I wish the KHL was on tv because it looks like a very fun league to follow. There is more focus on creativity and speed. The NHL is no longer the only “good” option for players or fans. If they can get broadcasting started somehow in NA, the NHL is gonna have to pick up their socks.

@Steve-O:
    re: the player’s willing to play while negotiating, that is actually bullshit. The players were planning to strike. I’m not sure how big of news it was in Twitter, I hate being all vague / secret agent about stuff, but I will say that at a particular paintball tourney in Edmonton in which a handful of Oilers took part, one of the players let slip that the NHLPA was “prepared to strike”, back before the season / lockout began (per one of the guy’s you, Trogdor, and I work with). I don’t blame anyone for taking hearsay with a grain of salt, but I firmly believe that it is true. Here’s the link to the forum where I mentioned that back on Aug 31st: http://forum.puttingonthefoil.com/viewtopic.php?p=6121#p6121

I’m pretty confident the players had already voted and given Fehr the nod that they would strike if there was no CBA, and they just allowed the NHL a little extra time to beat them to the punch so they can look like the good guy. A lockout is good for nobody, a strike is good for nobody, but it is even worse for the people striking because you lose your ability to use the antitrust law on your side like the NHLPA might be planning, with the de-certification talk.

To point 2) it’s a fair argument.. but players get paid a salary…. a HUGE salary in many cases! Why do they need 50% of the pie??? I don’t know anyone that gets paid based on a percentage of company revenue… or if they do, it certainly isn’t in the 50% range. Owners assume all the risk. They assume ALL of the debt.

This all said, I have said before that I’m very anti-NHL and anti-NHLPA in this stupid labour fight. I lean more towards individual players though, especially the guys that make the league minimum. But for the most part, i think both sides are being stupid, and stubborn, and pissing away money just to get their way when in the long run they are going to end up losing more money (both of them) than they fought for, save for the players that are currently playing hockey for good money elsewhere. It’s a little selfish to drag along the guys that haven’t landed a second hockey gig just to get your way and say you won.

To point 4) I do know what you’re talking about (here is the better article on the subject: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/11/16/3654718/2012-nhl-lockout-Florida-panthers-profits-arena-losses-money-revenue), but I’m not too sure how accurate it is because as we all know, the league hasn’t been open about revenues/profits. The articles are based on Forbes estimates, save for the actual accurate number which was actually from Florida’s Arena group (“Arena Operating Company”.. lol). If I recall correctly, Forbes states that the team loses around $7.5M per year. The arena group books reveal that they’re gaining back slightly more than that each year. The thing to take in mind is the AOC’s numbers should also include profits from concerts, and other events at the arena. I’m not sure if there’s any overlap between any of these numbers too. There shouldn’t be though because these are “separate” entities, so to speak (Although Sunrise Sports and Entertainment owns both the Panthers and the AOC).

Anyways, if you do the math… which again is quite rough… it should still appear that the Panthers are losing money in the long run.. maybe not $7.5M/year though. But it is interesting to note that they’ve got it split that way… one side is eating the losses, one side is reaping the rewards. I’m no accountant, but just like the article says, I assume they do it “to maximize profits, tax breaks and long-term investment growth”.

But I wouldn’t read too much into JW’s article, as good as it was, cause it sort of loses it’s a little bit of impact due to the fact that the profits are all under the Arena group. Both articles do note that there is a direct correlation to arena profits and Panther’s hockey however.. when they aren’t playing, the Arena group suffers profit wise.. of course it does… but what about the fact that the books for AOC show average profits that are similar in number to the average losses Forbes estimates for the Panthers? That seemed to be glossed over / omitted by both writers. If the AOC averages $7.8M / season (over the last 15 years), and the Panthers average losses of $7.5M (over the last 9 years).. that’s a gain of $300,000… and you’re not accounting for the gains from the other events (as less significant as they may be), and you’re also working with rough numbers.

Short answer that I can agree on with the article I linked: “Trust no one.”

This is also just one example.

Another question is, why would owners be looking to sell in Phoenix, Nashville, Buffalo, Atlanta (done now of course), Carolina, Dallas, L.A.,… did I miss any? I think other teams have nearly been up for sale too. The Penguins were nearly sold not that long back too. I might be a little out of date on a team or two in the list, but you get what I’m getting at I’m sure.

Holy shit, novel alert. And I thought your post was long, Steve-O.

BTW, One thing you missed in your post above Steve-O… the owners are looking for help to protect them from themselves. They made the league more of a mess than the players did. I actually think that is one pro-player point I can get behind. None of us would say no if $5m was waved in our faces, of course, and we’d all likely do what we could to squeeze any money out of our employers that we could.

But I personally do believe that there is a significant imbalance in the league.. options are to dump some dead weight, and/or lower the costs for a team to survive. I’d like to see a bit of both.

15. John says:

Wow I haven’t been here for a while but I’m surely not the only one with all the b.s. going on! A few points on the lockout;
    1) Fuck the owners; simply greedy bastards who have the same ability to make rational decisions with contract amounts & terms as a 10 year old. Having said that they do put their wallets & necks out to allow the players to be able to do something other than flip burgers, dig ditches, or make pizzas so that accounts for something.

2) Fuck the players; they get obscene amounts of money to whack a rubber disc around a sheet of ice then have the audacity to whine to the fans & media how its justified because of how short their hockey careers are. You would think they were neurosurgeons or engineers by the aire of importance to society they seem to place themselves in. Even an average NHLer will make @ $2 mil just on his EL contract then if he signs a 1yr, $1mil RFA contract after that he’s already pocketed $3mil & that’s based on the unlikely scenario he never plays another game again. In my entire lifetime I will be lucky to make anywhere close to $2mil & I’m suppose to relate to/sympathize with a guy who could theoretically be set for life by the time he’s 23? Not happening.

I also have trouble buying the arguments that compare NHL players to movie stars & doctors etc to justify their outrageous payrolls. Movie stars do make loads of money- but only if they put out a really good product. Make a couple shit movies & they dont get to do those $50 or $100 mill movies by big directors anymore. Doctors that screw up constantly get stuck in Tuktoyaktuk or else kicked out by the CMA. Money paid or not paid based on performance; hmmmm interesting concept…

The most confusing thing to me about the whole conflict is that the players see themselves as “partners” instead of employees? Did they simply annoint themselves as such or did the owners give them that title at some point? If the players are truly partners by all legal description then they should be investing a generous portion of their own money into the expenses currently paid by the owners in the daily runnings of the teams. Likewise, any monies generated by induvidual players through endorsement deals, commercials, etc should be shared 50/50 with the franchise who has the contractual rights to said player. If that is already how things run then I’m simply unaware & would put more support behind the players cause. If they simply are not partners by legal definition then they are employees & have no right to ask for such gluttonous financial shares of profits.

Anyways that’s my mental ramblings for now, of course like a brainwashed idiot I will dust off my jersey & watch the games if they come back on the ice by Christmas lol.

Isn’t Crosby’s Reebok deal HRR? Oh, that’s different…….

17. Alan-NottsUK says:

Steve-O:
    I am pro-PA indeed, and here are my reasons:
    1) Owners locked out the players, players were willing to play while negotiating.So the fact that we currently have no hockey is directly on the owners.

False, the players openly refused to negotiate from the first time the NHL approached them back at the All-Star game in 2011 over 18 months before the league locked the players out.

That first time and every subsequent time the NHLPA claimed they had to concentrate on playing and couldn’t work on a CBA and play at the same time.

Donald Fehr led the MLB players into a strike directly before the playoffs, which took baseball forever to recover from.

So in reality the players claim of we just want to play, we can negotiate while doing it was just a leverage ploy and a PR ploy to save face with the fans, it worked to an extent, but pretty much everyone who knows Fehr’s history would say the owners didn’t have a choice but to lock the players out.

Steve-O:
    2) We all agree that the league earns 3+ billion per year.And the players are the 700(ish) best hockey players on the world.Right.Well, if that is the case, then I’m of the belief that the 700 best individuals in any profession get paid well.And they should be.Why not?There are CEO’s and such that pull in millions per year.

Considering I watch the NHL for the talent being put on display, I’m fine with them making 60% of the HRR (the whole what is/isn’t HRR is a whole other debate).I certainly wouldn’t watch the NHL teams at the prices they charge if they brought in replacement players.Would you?

If a CEO was playing the people in his company so much they weren’t turning a profit he would be fired and all those star workers he has would be looking for jobs elsewhere because the company would be going bust, poor analogy.

Also it would only take 2/3 years max for the talent pool in the NHL to become the best in the world again, no other league can afford to pay players anywhere near as much, and each year a new group of stars from the draft would come in.

Steve-O:
    They are earning pretty much exactly what the market will bear.Complaining about someone making more than the average person just seems like jealousy to me.What about movie stars? Those CEO’s and executives I mentioned earlier?Should we cap what any individual should earn at $150k (granted that would make my blackened socialist heart happy)?Any I don’t buy that doctors/teachers (other profession deemed more useful) are not earning that much so why are they crap.I’ve met more doctors and teachers that don’t even deserve min. wage than those that currently earn their $.

They are earning more than what the market can bear, that’s why there are between 10-18 teams in the league losing money.

Steve-O:

This is the owners vs the owners vs the players. However the owner vs owner part has been sorted out with an increase in revenue sharing. Now they just need to get the players to take less, I think I posted it before that with a 7% reduction in the HRR and an increase in revenue sharing you only see Phoenix lose money.

Steve-O:
    Edit: 4) Oh, another one.I don’t buy that any of the owners are really losing all that much money.If they were, you’d see a whole lot more teams up for sale (outside PHX).I think these “losses” are more creative accounting combined with their real businesses (plus Cult of Hockey has that recent post re: the Panthers who Forbes said lost 7mil, but the team actually makes 10mil as per private accounting – or something like that, Racki knows what I’m talking about, I just think the teams don’t open their books because anyone would see they screw the system). So this just seems like me that the owners keep trying to take and take.Greedy bastards.

If that were a lie the NHLPA would have leaked out parts of the financial information they received from the league just to prove it was false information the league was feeding to the fans.

Steve-O:
    Anyways, thems the reasons why.I’m sure most don’t agree and I’m fine with that.It’s possibly because as mentioned above that I’m a socialist bastard (go unions! tax the rich! more social programs!).For what it’s worth, I was pro-owner last time around and I think the current system works.

The current system worked to an extent, the crazy front loaded contracts needed to be killed off and revenue sharing needed to be increased, and with all other leagues splitting HRR 50/50 it is obvious that the NHLPA will not get more than that.

At the end of the day I want the NHL back, and I want it to be under a CBA that lasts 10+ years so we don’t have to go through this shit again in 5 years time.

—————

Unfortunately it seems like the ones in control of negotiating are the biggest tools.

Jeremy Jacobs for example is such a douche the Bruins fans booed him at their cup banner raising.

18. Alan-NottsUK says:

adater ‏@adater
    From deep inside players side: “We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out”

doesn’t sound like it.

Dater is the Avs beat writer

Also we have these statements from moderate owners.

Statement From Larry Tanenbaum, NHL Governor And Chairman of MLSE
    Thursday, 06.12.2012 / 8:47 PM / News

“I was pleased to be asked to join the Player/Owner negotiation sessions. I had hoped that my perspective both as a businessman and as one of the owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs would be helpful to the process. Like all other teams, this work stoppage has hurt our fans, our employees and our business. Neither the owners nor the players will ever recover the losses incurred with this work stoppage.

I understand how important it is to have a strong league and 30 healthy teams. I must admit that I was shocked at how things have played out over the last 48 hours. The sessions on Tuesday felt cooperative with an air of goodwill. I was optimistic and conveyed my optimism to the Board of Governors at our Wednesday meeting. However, when we reconvened with the players on Wednesday afternoon, it was like someone had thrown a switch. The atmosphere had completely changed. Nevertheless, the owners tried to push forward and made a number of concessions and proposals, which were not well-received. I question whether the union is interested in making an agreement.

I am very disappointed and disillusioned. Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it. Like all hockey fans, I am hopeful this situation can be resolved as soon as possible. I miss our game
    ——————————–

Pittsburgh Penguins owner Ron Burkle’s statement:

Quote:
    “The idea to put players and owners together in the same room was a refreshing idea. Commissioner (Gary) Bettman should be thanked for proposing it and (Donald and Steve Fehr of the NHLPA should be thanked for agreeing to it.

“The players came with a strong desire to get back to playing hockey. They were professional and did a good job of expressing their concerns and listening to ours.

“We wanted to move quickly and decisively. We have all spent too much time without any real progress at the expense of our fans, our sponsor and the communities we serve. It was time to make bold moves and get a deal. Many people think we got over our skis and they are probably right, but we wanted to do everything we could to get back to hockey now. We didn’t hold back.

“We made substantial movement on our end quickly, but unfortunately that was not met with the same level of movement from the other side. The players asked us to be patient and keep working with them. It’s not what they do and they wanted us to know they were committed. We understood and appreciated their situation. We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received. We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.

“We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and ‘non-negotiable’ decision — which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we moved at any time in the past months.

“I want to thank the players involved for their hard work as we tried to reach a deal.

“I hope that going backwards does not prevent a deal.”

First Published December 6, 2012 8:51 pm

—————————

Mark Chipman, Chairman and Governor, Winnipeg Jets:

“I’d like to thank the NHL for giving me the opportunity to participate in this very important process.

I came here optimistic that we could find a solution. That sense of optimism grew after our first few sessions, including the small group discussions late last night.

Regrettably, we have been unable to close the divide on some critical issues that we feel are essential to the immediate and long-term health of our game.

While I sense there are some members of the players association that understand our perspective on these issues, clearly there are many that don’t.

I am deeply disappointed that we were unable to bring this extremely unfortunate situation to a successful conclusion and I wish to apologize to our fans and sponsors for letting them down.”

———————–

Jeff Vinik, Chairman and Governor, Tampa Bay Lightning

“After working this week with our players toward what we hoped would be a new agreement, owners presented a proposal we believed would benefit those great players, ownership, and, ultimately, our fans for many years to come. While trust was built and progress was made along the way, unfortunately, our proposal was rejected by the Union’s leadership. My love for the game is only superseded by my commitment to our fans and I hold out hope we can soon join with our players and return the game back to its rightful place on the ice.”

19. dawgtoy says:

Crickets

Hey folks, just logged in to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Enjoy the WJC’s and Spengler Cup (lots of NHLers on the Spengler team including Smyth, Gags, Dubie and Eager) and hope Santa brings NHL hockey for the New Year!

Miss you guys! :)