Eberle signs new deal

By , August 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Eberle has signed a 6 year 36 million dollar contract extension.

Now if only they get to play this year.

13 Responses to “Eberle signs new deal”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

And so Eberle signs for 6M for 6 years!

2. hemmerlady says:

NorwegianOiler:
    And so Eberle signs for 6M for 6 years!

Sweeeet, that’s some bank. I like it.

And so we have both Hall and Ebs locked up for 6 years at what should work out to be pretty good deals. I like this. (note: Hall’s deal is 7, but i mean we have both together for 6 years at $6m for sure)

Oh and I’m forgetting the fact they still have one more year left on their current deal!

So barring some lame ass trade-me scandal, which I’m not even going to think about… we’ll have 7 more years of Eberle and Hall together, at minimum (and assuming a trade doesn’t happen). Great stuff.

Nice deal. I can feel the jealousy already wafting in.

6. dawgtoy says:

A different opinion on the Ebs extension.

dawgtoy:
    A different opinion on the Ebs extension.

Good read and I kind of agree. Eberle is no better than any of those guys…..yet. You may be paying fair market value if he plays up to his potential. If you are expecting him to play above 70 points, you will likely be very disappointed.

I agree that the Oilers have been total shit at valuing players and paying them what they are really worth. Part of that may be panic to keep familiar players here rather than be signing good contracts. The other side of that is what does a stronger, older and better RNH do with Ebs and does that have the potential to be magical? I think that is what Tamblowe are thinking, however, they are not guys that would ever be accused of inventing cold fusion….

The thing is though, the Skinner contract fucked us. After that there was no way to get a deal for 4.5 or so where these two really should be. I am giving a big middle finger to Rutherford who has always been worse at contract valuation than the Oilers. No small feat of idiocy.

So for now I look at the circumstances and realize we are where we are mostly because of outside factors and fear of a new CBA, although one could argue it may have been prudent to wait and see how it looks. The Oilers took the path of least resistance and are hoping the cap will rise in a few years enough so it makes no difference. It could be a saw off. We’ll see.

While I know that it’s wishful thinking to think Eberle follows up his last year with an 80 point season, or even another 70-some point season, Eberle and Hall are both incredibly skilled players with a very high work ethic.. something we haven’t really seen here. I’ll argue the other side of this and say that they been exemplary to the rest of the team and are going to be instrumental in turning this team around. They are young leaders, they bring hope and promise to the team. I honestly can’t think of any nights where Hall took off. Many nights he was carrying the team on his back. And well, Eberle, Mr. Clutch also has shown to have incredible skill and timing.

Eberle is not a first overall pick, so he doesn’t have the prestige that goes along with that… but he’s still a very good player. Two years isn’t a lot to really prove yourself though, so I can get the argument against giving these guys big money now, and I wish they were RFAs when their respective deals ended. That would have been the icing on the cake for me. But I’ll be happy with this nonetheless. It is definitely good to have both of your two best players (arguably) locked up at a reasonable contract.

Do you guys honestly think Hall and Eberle are going to decline? Or are you being the typical Oilers fans thinking that it’s impossible that we could actually have great players here. They might struggle out of the gate this year, but I think no matter what their point totals end up being this year or next, in the long run they’ll make us happy with the deals.

Everybody seems to want to try and manage their expectations, but I see through the bullshit :P

I see both sides of it. I really like both guy and with increased ice time and a more cohesive PP, they will keep betting better. I do see guys out there that will poopoo all over the place if one of them gets injured or has a 50-65 point season. The key is they are young and this is not Horcoff and Smyth. They are already better than those guys in my estimation at the same ages.

I think the thing that would be great to see is Ebs killing penalties. I think he has the makings of a guy who could elevate a PK to top ten in the league. If he can do that, then this is a steal. I won’t complain so long as he produces and carries himself with pride and passion like he has. Hall I have zero worry about, and really, Ebs too, but you know the bar is set high by the critics.

Ya definitely would be good to have ebs playing the pk and adding an element of danger for (in the good sense). I think Hall actually can handle himself on the pk too but I think he lost the coach’s confidence at it last year. He likes to try and play keep away, which safe coaches don’t like. RNH will likely make a fine pker too.

11. john says:

I would liked to have seen Hall & Eberle sign a similar length of contract but at something closer to $5.5 per but as they say, it is what it is. I guess it’s more important to tie up your 2 most skilled players at close to market value with no bickering over money than brag to the rest of the league about getting superstars on discount. Lets Nuge know what his $$ ceiling is; unless he turns into a 100+pt player of course.

12. Alan-NottsUK says:

I can see no reason why Ebere would regress, the only arguement I’ve seen used frequently is shooting percentage and it’s nonsense.

If you look at the kind of shots Eberle takes then they are high percentage shots, next season he will be getting more ice time, which will lead to more shots, so even if his shooting percentage drops slightly he should still be good for 30+ goals.

Now look at his potential line mates and their career highs in goals.

Hall 27 Goals (61games)
    Hemsky 23 Goals
    RNH 18 Goals (62 games)
    Gagner 18 Goals
    Yakupov – no NHL totals yet, but broke Stamkos OHL rookie scoring record and was on pace before injury to break his overall record as well before he took a cheap shot.

We should be starting the season with 3 good puck moving D men:

A healthy Whitney
    Petry
    Justin Schultz

We should have 2 solid scoring lines making it harder for other teams to match up lines.

And most importantly in my mind anyway, Eberle has always exceeded peoples expectations.

There are more things pointing towards Eberle matching or exceeding last years totals than there are pointing to a regression on his part.

Hell you can even look at the first 8 or so games when he missed a bunch of easy chances from RNH passes, those go in and he hits 40 goals.

I mentioned on Twitter that I think fans here are just being accustomed to setting the bar/expectations low because we’ve had to or we’d always be disappointed. So we now instinctively feel the need to dial it back a bit, or we’ll look like idiotic fans. Well, screw that ;) We have 3 players (minimum) that are pretty damn superb players.. guys that have potential to be superstars in the league. Having 2 of them locked up fairly long term for a reasonable contract (it’s not a bargain, but definitely not bad) is great. Having them spaced 1 year apart like that is also great asset management, dare I say it (although granted, Eberle probably negotiated that as much as Tambo since he wanted a shorter deal than Hall’s).

I think Hall will have as good a season, should he stay healthy, because it’s clear he likes to bombard the net with shots, generates a lot of quality chances and drives the play. If you believe in S% evening things out over time, his S% also is right around league average. I don’t put TOO much stock in the whole S% thing, but I don’t think it’s a bad argument either.

As for Eberle, well, I fully expect his own S% to drop, but when he’s playing with the likes of Nuge and Hall, each of whom will be better players, he should be generating more quality chances. I would be surprised if he scored over 30 goals again this year, but at the same time, 30 goals is a pretty tough thing for most players to achieve. I think if Hall stays healthy, I would be surprised if he (Hall) DIDN’T score more than 30, however.

Perhaps some more food for thought here… while Eberle has an unusually high S%, his shot count is also quite a bit below average for guys in that 30+ goal scorer bracket. He put out 180 shots while the 30+ guys averaged 255 for the past 3 years. These guys might score on less chances, but they are going to GET more chances.