Theo Peckham accepts Qualifying Offer

By , July 16, 2012 9:12 am

Theo Peckham has accepted his qualifying offer which means he will earn $1,075,000 next year. He will still be an RFA upon expiration.

17 Responses to “Theo Peckham accepts Qualifying Offer”

1. Metal&Oil says:

Happy Day !!! I know a lot of ppl are down on Theo right now but I truly believe that he will have a bounce back season. He is probably gonna have to wait for an injury or have a very strong training camp to get into the game day lineup but once he does, I think he is here to stay. We need his toughness.

I was pretty stoked to see that he started following me on twitter this week too!!! Gotta love guys that give back to their fans.

I completely agree M&O.. I’ve always liked Teddy. He had a bad year, yes. But I think a lot of that stems from the concussion he suffered from the Nathan Horton fight. That can really screw a guy up. He’s got to get his confidence and wits back.

He could get back to his form again. It would be a shame if we just gave up on him and sold low. Last year he was a real beast. It might have been an anomaly, but I believe that he can get back to that level again. He adds toughness to the team too that we desperately need. That all said, he’s in real tough. We’ve got 8 guys that are waiver eligible. As weak as our D is, it’s hard to pick one that you really want to cut. Maybe Potter. But it’s hard to come by reliable RHD.

3. Metal&Oil says:

Yeah when I say that he will have a bounce back season I didn’t mean that it would be as and Edmonton Oiler. I actually think that he would really thrive on a team that has a stronger D core where less is expected of him. Let’s remember that for a large portion of his Oiler career that Theo was asked to play in over his head. If he goes to a team that gives him a role more suited for him then I think he will excel as a 5/6th Dman.

It might actually be best for Pecks if he got a clean slate somewhere else. For some reason I’ve always thought the Redwings would be a great fit for him (although he really seems to love being an Oiler).

Good signing and likely to have a bounce back. 8 D. Something has to give. Also, is today the day QOs have to be accepted by? Omark is looming…

I think Potter is the guy who will be in the hot seat with Schultz here now. I would hate to lose Pecks via waivers.

5. Metal&Oil says:

chucker:
    Good signing and likely to have a bounce back. 8 D. Something has to give. Also, is today the day QOs have to be accepted by?Omark is looming…

In regards to Potter it is tough to say. I thought he regressed quiet a bit as the season went on. I don’t know, maybe at the beginning of the season Potter was playing at a level that he had trouble maintaining later on because he was on a high from finally cracking the roster of an NHL team and maybe he just got too comfortable once he signed his extension. Who knows??? Maybe with a full season under his belt he will be more prepared to put together a consistent 82 game season.

I may be a huge Peckham fan but I will still be unbiased. If Pecks gets outworked at camp then it should be him drawing the short straw and vice versa with Potter.

Chucker: yes today is the day they need to accept their QOs.

The team could roll with 8 D for a while.. kind of unorthodox to do so though.

As for Potter, I think I would take a stab and say that boot-fucking Taylor Hall in the face took a toll on him mentally (which he actually admitted to) and maybe caused his play to slip a bit. I’d be inclined to give him another good look this year.

It’s tough really to say who we shoo off. My thoughts have always been Ryan Whitney. But he’s a good team guy, and when he’s on, he’s really on. So it would suck to see him go.. but I only suggest him if we get a considerable D player back.

7. Metal&Oil says:

Racki:
    Chucker: yes today is the day they need to accept their QOs.

The team could roll with 8 D for a while.. kind of unorthodox to do so though.

After the prolonged 3 goalie rotation a few years back I could see the Oilers doing something unorthodox like keeping 8 D. One good thing about this is that when the inevitable injury on the blueline occurs we will have players with good NHL experience to inject in the lineup, No more exposing kids who ain’t ready. A luxury we haven’t had is quite some time!!

Good point on Potter. I love his game when he was on. That boot incident was brutal. I can imagine how tough it must have been on him. I did not consider this.

Rolling with eight D would only be possible for a few weeks. We need that depth up front too, and completely agree that Whitney is the ideal trade target, but we would present a huge hole in the D corps. Something good would have to be coming back. I keep hoping for a Yandle or Hanzal trade. Give to get.

M&O: Yah, it’s definitely nice to have some depth there, even if we don’t have a lot of experienced depth yet though. And good point.. we know some injury will occur, so it’d be good to have someone around to fill in.

Chucker: Yah that’s my thoughts too… you’d have to think something like Whitney + Hemsky would make a really tempting package for a solid D. And yes, rolling 8 D won’t last forever, unless we continue our usual injury parade.

Robin Brownlee has a post up on Oilers Nation about Peckham that basically seems to be saying that Peckham is battling weight issues. I’m not sure if he’s started to get in better shape, but that definitely would be a good reason for his drop off last year too, in addition to his concussion. So, let’s hope that Peckham can get his weight under control and help himself out. He’ll need every advantage he can get to claw his way back into the lineup.

Racki:

Yeah I saw the carb issues thing. More boxing and rope for pecks.

12. dawgtoy says:

chucker: Yeah I saw the carb issues thing. More boxing and rope for pecks.

dawgtoy: A co-worker of mine has been instructing him in the fine arts of pugilism. He is a boxing instructor and says Theo has been commited to learning. I’ve been to his boxing classes, and they are tough! Left my stomach contents behind twice. If the knock is that Theo wasn’t in shape last season (both in mind and in body), I hope this season is a testament to his determination to succeed.

I guess all the more reason to hang on to him. It might sound odd for me to say that. But i just think that he is the type that can get himself back into good shape all around, and when he does, he’ll likely be closer to 2010/11 form than he will be to 2011/12 form.

Agreed. If he can regain the form he had before his concussion, he is the nasty part of the blue line we need. I would tend to keep being patient with him like we were with Greene. I’m not saying he will be another Greene, but it seemed like years until Greene finally got respectable, then we traded him. Fool me once kinda thing.

I would actually say he could be like Greene, but with better toughness. Greene is a hitting machine, but I think Peckham is a much better fighter though and if he keeps up with the boxing lessons, he’ll make that gap even larger. Greene is a phenomenally strong guy and good hitter. Peckham is a good hitter in his own right too. I think defensively, Peckham showed in 2010/11 that he can be a very reliable guy, and capable of being in the top 4. But can he get there again? If he can, I’d say he could be as good as Greene, for sure.

16. dawgtoy says:

@Chucker@Racki
    Completely agree that if Theo can bring it this season and bring the truculence, with the knowledge to know when to use it, then that is a nice bullet to have in the Oilers rebuilding gun.

17. Metal&Oil says:

What I really like about Theo and something that does not get mentioned nearly enough is how he manages to keep his game clean. It is surprising considering how he plays the game and what his role is that he has never been suspended. I can’t even recall a hit of his that even bordered on being against the rules. It’s always punishing but clean hits with him. I love that!!!