Dubnyk and Petry signed, Gagner headed to Arbitration

By , July 5, 2012 4:21 pm

As per the Oilers site (thanks Metal&Oil for the heads up in the comments):

The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with goaltender Devan Dubnyk and defenceman Jeff Petry on two-year contracts.

Edit:
Also, as per Elliotte Friedman:

Salary arb filers: Bonino (ANA), McGinn (COL), Bachman/Fistric (DAL), Quincey (DET), Gagner (EDM), Versteeg (FLA), Diaz (MON)…

Wonder what he gets awarded, or do you think he signs beforehand?

26 Responses to “Dubnyk and Petry signed, Gagner headed to Arbitration”

1. dawgtoy says:

Devan Dubnyk’s contract is 2 years AAV $3.5 million while Jeff Petry’s deal is 2 years AAV $1.75 million

2. Metal&Oil says:

I think we overpaid for Dubes but made up for it by getting a steal on Petry. Overall I am happy!!!

3. Ktown says:

Dubey for $3.5M? well, I’ll agree – an overpayment, but I think this definitely sends the message that the team and the organization feel he’s going to become the #1 guy.

This contract definitely has “you now need to earn this” written all over it. And, while it was definitely an overpayment, I think the upside is that its only for 2 years. If Dubey can’t live up to this, it won’t be on the books long (will be off by the time RNH and J.Schultz come up for RFA). A way better idea than Horcoff’s $5.5 for 5 “earn it” contract (but that’s another matter – don’t mean to rekindle that debate).

And, at the same time, Petry’s deal is a pretty affordable contract, and I think is a fair number. This one will have Petry looking to perform to earn a raise, but certainly is enough to keep him comfortable. Good signing.

Overall, I’ll give Tambi a B for today (A for Petry, C for Dubey)

4. hemmerlady says:

ouch. 3.5?? But agreed good work with Petry. And glad the contracts are short.

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

was expecting something like 2m per for Dubnyk 3m for Petry, works out roughly the same in terms of total hit, just backwards on where it went.

Gagner going to arbitration as well

Gagner also filed for arbitration.

7. oilinblood says:

I think things look backwards but then you look at what each player contributed during their past contract and things make more sense. dubes numbers are pretty good, especially when considering the team record.

Do you roll with Khabi for October when he is normally hot and then trade him? Or ditch him ASAP and give Dubes the baton from the get-go?

Arbitration means no offer sheet risk for Gagner. Considering the market out there, if i was Gags, i wouldnt have gone with this choice. You dont have to sign an offer sheet but as far as ive heard there is not time limit for you to debate the offer either…so you can use it in negotiations. I dont see him having much of a case in arbitration so it might be more of a process to get a deal done guaranteed before camp. He is getting close to UFA – 2more years.

I think the Petry signing is great. However, I vomited in my mouth a little reading Dubnyk’s contract numbers. It’s not that I don’t like Dubey.. don’t get me wrong. It’s just the team hasn’t given him enough duty to prove himself to be a #1. But yet they’re paying him as a #1…. uhhh.. really? How do we know he is worth it? It’s hard for me to swallow this one when I’ve seen the quality of netminders that have signed for that price point in the last couple years.

Anyways, Krueger is a smart guy. I liked Renney, but everything that I’ve heard about Krueger makes me believe that we won’t have to deal with this same bullshit where the shitty goaltender gets the starts.. the shitty forwards play 20+ mins a night…. it’ll be the best players playing the most hockey, which should mean we see a lot of Dubnyk. I’m not so certain he’s done anything to prove he is a #1 goaltender. I’m not saying he can’t be, but you don’t pay a guy that much thinking “well he could be our #1″. Poor contract.

That Jeff Petry deal, on the other hand, is absolute gold. I’m pretty sure Tambellini called it a day after that one, and didn’t care what anyone else signed for.

Gagner going to arbitration could be a good thing for us to keep that money low. So long as the arbitrator doesn’t award big money based on other players who have had 8 point games :P

Edit: the consensus out there seems to be that Gagner will get paaaaid. I don’t know. I suppose he made some OK improvement, statistically speaking. But I’m not sure how much that will matter, but yah, he’ll probably hit around 3-3.5 I would think.. which is still fine by me. But i wouldn’t be surprised if he is shipped off.

In other news, Tom Renney landed a gig with the Detroit Red Wings as an associate coach.. good for him.. that’s obviously a great team to be hired by.

10. Metal&Oil says:

I had Dubnyk peged at $2.25M/per but I am guessing that Dubes and his agent put up the argument that he put up good numbers on a bad team with bad D. Tough to say butTamby bit on it. Lets just hope that this goalie contract works out better then his(tambo) last.

Yah, in all honesty… I hate the deal, cause it’s not a deal based on what we’ve seen so far…

But that said, I have good hopes for Dubnyk and think he can be a good goaltender for us. #1? hhmmmm… arguable. I think we need someone better here, personally. But there were signs this year that Dubnyk looked really good, so you just never know. I think the beef I have with him is he let in a few too many softies last year.. but contrary to that, he would make some amazing saves on some pretty tough shots. So we just need some better consistency out of him and he could be really good. Couple that with a defense that gives a fuck, and we might be looking at the deal as not too bad.

12. dawgtoy says:

Petry is a steal, wish it was a longer contract. Dub is a slight overpay, I think Rask is the right comparable. The Gagner arbitration is the worry IMO. I like Gagner, but most fans view him as trade bait. He will get a BIG raise. His contract will make you forget all about Dub.

The one thing I’ll say about Rask is he’s battled Tim Thomas for the #1 spot (well, actually, I should say he hasn’t been able to get #1 because Tim Thomas is there). I don’t have to say it, but I will anyways… Thomas is 2-time Vezina winner, in recent years, and Conn Smythe winner as well. He is the head honcho there, and rightfully so… and that’s what Rask is battling against.

Now to Dubnyk’s situation…. he’s battling against someone who has given us a whollle lot of regret with his contract. And well, he still hasn’t managed to take the #1 starter role despite really having no competition for it. BUT, I have questioned whether it’s bad coaching that this is the reason, or bad management (thus my “nail in the coffin” comment to you on twitter). The management seemed content in losing.. evidenced in a few ways, such as not doing much to improve our D. Before I get too anti-Tambi though, I’ll just say that I think this was intentional, as part of the rebuild, and I think they now are focused on winning. With regards to coaching, I think my beef there is that Renney didn’t give him enough opportunity in previous years (but perhaps that was a mandate from management).

I think I would have liked a 1 year deal to see if Dubs has what it takes, because I think this is going to be a good year for guys to prove themselves, as I think Tambo and company will put every effort in to make this team work.

14. oilinblood says:

at racki – khabi had 3 wins… 3 wins… for the last 2 years (COMBINED!!!!) after christmas. I am not a big Dubnyk fan (early softys) but his SV % and GAA doesnt fluctuate much once he gets in a rythym. When i saw the post christmas numbers for Dubie and Khaby i was honestly floored. Khaby has been the one to sink the ship… all of his numbers prove it. Im not saying i am convinced Dubes is number 1 but i am saying that Dubes towers over khabibulin.

Once i saw those numbers i realized every year since 2002 that khaby has had a decent year… he lost the starting job and only had to play the last quarter of the season. Back in 2004 he only played a bit before the playoffs. In 2008 he lost his job to huet and came on strong in the last quarter. He doesnt have the gas at all. but shhhh. we might be able to trade him. god i hope.

Rask was the starter for the one year in Boston before Thomas stole that from him with just amazing play the year they won the cup.

I’d say Rask has proven he can start where Dubnyk hasn’t…but the only reason Rask signed his deal for only 3.5 is he needed to re-prove it after going back to backup last year.

I’d say that Dubnyk hasn’t proven he can start.

And agreed, Gagner is going to get paid. A fun task would to be try and find a comparable for him. He’s averaged just over 40 points the past 4 years in the NHL (47 last year), is only 22/23, and is a center drafted 6th overall.

It’s actually pretty tough to look for anyone like him as he’s so young, but has 4 years around 47 points (ranked 115th on NHL.com). A good one may be Nick Foligno. Lots of players at that rank are either UFA’s who have been overpaid, UFA’s who are still just trying to keep in the league (a few league min deals in there), rookies on their first deal or the talented fighters.

Racki:

Completely agree on Dubnyk. I don’t have the love affair with him that others seem to. He has proven nothing to me any more than JDD did. (I think there is truly no difference). I was really hoping we would trade for Josh Harding or Lindback. At the very least we need a better duo. Khabbi is shit and Dubnyk is unproven.

When I looked at what this team had to do to make the playoffs, Dubnyk was not a factor. That is to say I looked at him as a guy who had quality starts and was pretty ordinary in my books. We need a true and proven starter. I hate this contract. Hopefully he makes me eat crow.

This just pisses me off more. Lindback just signed at 1.8 for two years. Apparently some GMs want to see how emerging backups fair before giving them big contracts.

18. UnrefinedCrude says:

chucker:

Too much money for a back up who hasn’t shown he can carry the full load, and handcuffs the team even more over the next couple of years. They’re all in with Dubnyk for good or ill, so we’d better keep oour collectuve fingers crossed.

19. Metal&Oil says:

UnrefinedCrude: I agree completely. This contract tells me the Oilers have locked into Dubnyk/Khabbi for this year, and are married to Dubnyk at least until one or both of Roy and Bunz emerge.

Well I agree that this is too much money for Dubes I will state that Dubnyk is more of a starter then Schneider is. Schneider only started 3 or more games in a row for the Nucks twice last season and has not proven that he can handle the bulk load of games ether. He is making $4M a year because he played on a far superior team that helped him get those solid numbers while Dubnyk had to fight tooth and nail to to get the respectable numbers he got when all things are considered.

In short what I am trying to say is that Dubnky at $3.5M is not much more of an overpay then Schneider is at $4M. Schneider’s deal is also for 3 years so………

Good points Metal. It doesn’t change the fact that Tambi pulled a Lowe on thIs contract. I get the stats argument, but I doubt any other GM would have offered that especially when established starter make less in some cases or equal with way more experience.

21. oilinblood says:

Dubnyks contract catches me off guard but i can handle it if its 2 years. He probably used Khabis numbers in negotiation and Khabis contract. If so…im surprised dubes didnt get 12 Mill. Hard to beat 3 post chritmas wins in the last 2 years and an .880 S%

I don’t necessarily see it as an outright overpay, but it certainly isn’t a value contract. I can also see some value in giving him a fair contract to show we have faith in him and the team is behind him and believes in him…but I think a two year deal in the 2.25-2.5 mil range would have showed that and I really can’t imagine Dubey turning that down since it would still have essentially almost tripled his previous salary.

Here’s the biggest problem as I see it; If Duby plays awesome for the next two years, he lives up to the dollars, however, when we should be paying him the same as Lindback and then becomes a free agent, the starting salary point is 3.5. If we had signed him to a deal like Lindback’s or Harding’s then the 3.5 becomes a realistic offer after two decent years. See what ia am getting at? At that stage having a extra 500k or even a million is going to be critical to keep the kids. Instead of being able to sign him for what would essentially be double, had he been on a proper contract, and being able to pay him Halak dollars, we now have to go beyond that. This contract sets the president for his next one and also for other unproven goalies around the league. A high contract raises the expectations of all goalies. Just a bad cost for a guy at his stage.

24. Mr.Majestyk says:

I have to say i’m pretty disappointed in Dubnyk’s contract as well.

Which player is a greater asset Petry or Dubnyk? Gene Principe questioned what Jeff Petry must be thinking on last nights Inside Sports.

Hopefully he stands on his head this year and earns that contract because i don’t know how long the rebuild will last if he struggles and we have to sit through 2 years of the contract. Hopefully our rebuild is like Pittsburgh or Chicago and not like Columbus or the NYI.

I hate to be so negative but I see us in last place in the division again this year.

Mr.Majestyk:
    I have to say i’m pretty disappointed in Dubnyk’s contract as well.

Which player is a greater asset Petry or Dubnyk?Gene Principe questioned what Jeff Petry must be thinking on last nights Inside Sports.

Hopefully he stands on his head this year and earns that contract because i don’t know how long the rebuild will last if he struggles and we have to sit through 2 years of the contract.Hopefully our rebuild is like Pittsburgh or Chicago and not like Columbus or the NYI.

So do I MM. Our goaltending and D just are not as good as it needs to be so far. Maybe there are a couple trades coming that will help. I hope so because right now our lineup is exactly the same as last year except for Schultz.

I don’t really have any problems with Dubnyk, but it just seems like the Oilers skipped a stage in Dubnyk’s career. This reminds me of Tom Gilbert. I really liked him when his contract was up, but I thought the Oilers jumped ahead too far and should have offered him a middle-stage contract.. like your 2.5M suggestion, chucker…

This one just doesn’t make sense to me. I think it’s nice to pay guys what they want, but we’ve seen situations too where a big contract is like a noose to a player. Dubnyk will have big expectations to live up to now.

I think he’ll be a good goaltender though, but yah.. I just think there should have been a middle phase in there where he was given opportunity to prove himself. I don’t think too many people are saying “oh yah, Dubnyk is a bonafide #1 goaltender”. I think that’s an idea for a poll, actually…

Jeff Petry’s contract, was the antithesis of this one, however. That one was a slam dunk, and a good example of what I’m talking about… a “next stage” contract where Petry can prove himself and work hard to earn the big bucks.

New poll up..