Division getting tougher?

By , July 4, 2012 10:36 am

Of all the divisions….

Looks like the division just got a whole lot tougher.

As per TSN:

Free agent forward Zach Parise and defenceman Ryan Suter have both agreed to terms on contracts with the Minnesota Wild.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune both deals are 13 years in length.

Not sure about the dollars, but I imagine the cap hits won’t be terrible (I’m guessing 5/6 mil per for each). Considering the Wild had over 14mil in space, I’m sure it’ll be easy for them to work it in.

Edit: Yikes. As per TSN again: Both deals are worth $98 million over 13 years, carrying an average annual value of $7.538 million.

As for the rest of the division, looks like this year will be a doozy. With the Canucks being the perennial winner (last few years) and the Wild getting instantly better it’ll be interesting to see how the Avs, Oil and Flames end up in the standings. Hopefully the Oilers are ready to take that next step…otherwise it just got harder for them.

Next up…Matt Carle.

35 Responses to “Division getting tougher?”

1. dawgtoy says:

WOW, 196 million to two players over the next 13 years. INCREDIBLE!

Holy crap. Good players both, but that’s a lot of dollars.

Just imagine, those kind of deals are what Hall, Eberle, Nuge and Yakupov will be looking at in a few years (should they be as good as we think they will be).

3. G&S says:

Good for Minnesota!!!

Sure I hate that team but nobody can deny that fans in Minny deserve this. Great market that has suffered watching boring ass hockey since it’s reintroduction into the league.

Gonna be a tough division for one year (remember that the Wild are more then likely gonna be separated from the Oilers division after this season). Nothing like good competition to bring out the best in our players. Gonna be a fun season coming up!!! Could see 3-4 teams making the playoffs in the NW next year.

4. Trogdor says:

That’s a lot of coin along with a lot of commitment. Now if they could just move Backstrom so Harding can get me a whole lot of pool points, the world will be a better place.

Doan still out there, might get some nice offers now.

Wow!! Now the test of the free agents will get signed in the next five days.

It is not looking good for us. If we do not upgrade on D and in net, we will have another bottom ten finish based on divisional play. Colorado will be better this year and I think Calgary will surprise it’s critics. We cannot wait another year to see what happens in net or on the blue line in my opinion.

Glad I have Backstrom in the pool. 8)

6. dawgtoy says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
    Of 98M, I hear 22M is guaranteed in sign’ bonus 10M/ 12M 1st 2 yrs

and multiply by 2.

Yeah, LaBrun(spelling?) just tweeted that bonuses on 10/10/5 for the first three years, and from what I understand those first two are protected from lockouts and/or rollbacks.

But really, I can’t blame the players for getting paid. Good on them.

Base salary of only 2mil per year for those first two years though…that’s a fucking bargain.

Have the contracts been approved? Seems like circumvention to me. 2 million base…..

10. G&S says:

chucker:
    Have the contracts been approved?Seems like circumvention to me. 2 million base…..

In a way it is good to see NJ get a taste of their own medicine.

That’s crazy how much money the Wild just threw out there. Especially when you consider they already had a $7.5M LWer. But hey, obviously they are serious about being a real team there, which must really please the fans. It’s been such a great hockey city.. they deserve some good puck luck there.

I’m thinking they are.

Really, the league doesn’t give a shit what they are being paid in real cash, only what the cap hit is and that includes the bonus so it’ll seem like they are getting paid 12 mil this year and next.

I had more of an issue where it drops from 6 mil per to 2 mil per in years ….well, later years. But Elliotte Friedman mentioned that was OK for whatever reason. I thought they couldn’t drop the cap hit below 50% from one year to the next but that seems to be only for the first few years.

At least, that’s what I’m thinking.

Prepare yourself for the 15-20 year contracts the Oilers will be throwing out…unless there is a rule against it in the next CBA, in which case we’ll be fucked trying to keep everyone together.

Actually, the more I think about it, the league does care what really is paid out, but I think more at the end of the deal.

I’m not sure though really.

14. G&S says:

Steve-O:

Correct me if I am wrong but don’t we have until the CBA expires to get at least Hall & Ebs on one of these contracts??? Jon Quick just signed a 10 year exstension with one year remaining on his deal. The Oil should jump on this while their is still time left.

I think in general you can sign an extension with one year left on your contract, however, I seem to think that entry-level contracts are an exception to this. I could be wrong though.. but I have a feeling this is the case.

Sooo.. Sam Gagner, locked up for the next 20 years… book it. :P

16. G&S says:

Racki:

Sooo.. Sam Gagner, locked up for the next 20 years… book it.

Not too sure you are correct there(unless you have to wait for the season to start to sign an extension). Jonathan Toews signed his contract extension on Dec 3rd, 2009. That was midway through the last year on his ELC.

17. john says:

Lets see, Nucks & Wild are locks for playoffs next spring & chances of 3 NW Div teams getting in are about as good as me winning a hockey pool so.. Oilers, Flames, & Avs are already looking forward to 13′- 14′ ? :(

18. G&S says:

john:

19. dawgtoy says:

Tampa wins the Matt Carle sweepstakes.

20. Metal&Oil says:

You know……With the stupid amount of coin being thrown around in free agency these day I hope that Tambo sticks to his word and works the trade market instead. Heck we have probably now reached the day where Shawn Horcoff is being paid close to market value (ok maybe not).

21. john says:

G&S: I wouldn’t say that. Last year 4 teams made the post season in both the Atlantic and the Central divisions.

*Sighhhh*, if only the Oilers were in that group we might have a chance!

Metal&Oil: you’ve been renamed on the forum.. so just remember when you log in, i think you’ll have to log in as Metal&Oil now.

I bet Suter will love playing with Gilbert…..

24. john says:

chucker: I still say we are effed. We need another goalie to help Dubnyk and we need a tough D man. Also, these guys are good but not super elite top five in the league overall. This is a good example of two very good players cashing in on one of the worst free agent markets, if not the worst, I have ever seen. These contracts (in general) that are getting handed out are absolutely retarded. 5 mill for Wideman? Almost 200 mill for a guy who might get you 30 goals and a franchise D man who likely looks a lot better playing with Weber? Garrison… This is the summer of the idiotic GM. I bet Suter will love playing with Gilbert…..

Hahahaha! :P

25. oilinblood says:

We are a volchenkov away from being a solid team.

Do people think (NTC aside) that the devils would entertain the idea of shipping us Volchenkov and his contract in exchange for Hemsky? Kovalchuk – Elias – Hemsky seems like a pretty sick line. They are having more than just player issues in the swamp right now, need to cut costs, and need to start selling a more entertaining product…or re-locate.
    I dont think Volchenkov would mind a trade to a canadian city. I question though if he would waive to play in the west where you sleep at home ALOT less.

—Apparently the losses are so high in NJ that, to avoid another PHO issue, Bettman has ordered the owner to get a minority partner by a deadline of this summer or the NHL will take over and the Ownership will forfeit his rights to the team.

All kidding aside, Suter and Gilbert might make a pretty good pairing. They complement each other in a way…

Gilbert is an offensive-minded D and great puck mover (really, he is quite good at that).. Suter is a physical guy who excels at defense. It could actually work out well.. who knows. It won’t be a Suter / Weber pairing, by any means, but Suter’s strong ability to play D might help Gilbert do what he does best. Also, I though Gilbert’s D game and physical game got better last year.. so you just never know ther.e

On Volchenkov, I do have my doubts on it.. but I’ve always liked him and would love him here. He’d also be a Russian buddy for Yakupov

Racki:

Volchenkov would be good. I agree on that for sure.

Gilbert did improve somewhat at the tail end here. Maybe with a guy like Suter at his side he will be able to feel more confident in what he does best as Racki mentioned. He is no Weber though. He likely has a good year.

In any case, our division is getting tougher. We need a decent divisional record to get any shot at a playoff spot. Yesterday was Tamblowe’s wake up call to get that defenseman we need. They are also delusional if they think Dubnyk with Khabbi can be good enough. Dubnyk needs some help in my opinion. Hopefully he can get both areas covered. A big body up front wouldn’t hurt either.

28. Metal&Oil says:

I actually like Jonathan Willis’s suggestion of going after free agent defenseman Michal Rozsival. A underrated and consistent 2nd pairing Dman who is +55 since the lockout (only 1 season in the minus’s in that span). Only question with him would be his knee after taking that knee on knee hit from Dustin Brown in the playoffs.

In other news it look like Shea Weber is none too happy:

29. oilinblood says:

Roszival is a good RHD.

Pretty pricey pickup though probably. Speaking of pricey pickups.. how do we make this Weber deal happen? :P

But while Weber is a UFA, if Suter landed a $98M contract, guess how much Weber will be getting..

I think Weber will sign a 1-year deal there though, and off to the UFA market

Bob Stauffer tweeted that Rosival is asking for $3+M.. which is a big paycut considering he was at $5M on previous contract. Also, he mentioned 3 teams are in on him, and none are Edmonton.

32. john says:

I’ve got a funny feeling the Oilers are working on a trade with Phoenix for Yandle ;) He wouldn’t be the final piece of the puzzle but would help give us the best defence we’ve had in many years!

That would be a great add…

I keep harping on it, but I think we have to push Whitney out sooner than later, and bringing in Yandle would help do that.

Smid Petry
    Yandle J. Schultz
    Sutton/Peckham Potter/N. Schultz

Oh and I will take this moment to say that I think Peckham will come back to better form this year. I think his concussion really affected him in more ways than one. If he can overcome that, and worry less about getting concussed again, I think he’ll surprise some doubters and people that have given up on him.

Yandle would be fantastic. Gagner and Whitney for Yandle? Gagner has to go. He is likely to get an obscene contract on arbitration. He is also a guy that they have interest in.

35. Metal&Oil says:

Racki:

Exactly how I feel. The only thing I question is what team this will happen on. Can’t help but think that a lot of other teams would love to get their hands on a young & physical guy like Pecks. I keep thinking that he will be a throw in on “The Big Deal” that many are speculating about.