Danis and Smyth re-sign..

By , July 1, 2012 9:50 am

Oilers re-sign Yann Danis (1-year) and Ryan Smyth (2yr @ $2.25M/year)

I think the Smyth contract is good. We know he’s at the tail end of his career, but in the early half of the year he looked really good. After December, he slowed way down. But there are signs he can still play. He was a very good penalty killer for us last year. I think that alone is worth the $2.25M, but I suspect we’ll get a vet line (either with Horcoff and Hemsky, or Horcoff and Jones) and they’ll pitch in around 50 goals combined.

Ralph Krueger apparently talked to Smyth and also let him know he’ll have a different role this year. I.e., he won’t be a top six player.. he’ll be a support player, playing “a more versatile role rather than top six minutes.” (per Joanne Ireland)

Edit: Also now add Darcy Hordichuk to the mix.. 1 year deal.

17 Responses to “Danis and Smyth re-sign..”

I would have preferred a one year on Smyth but low cap hit. Denis was great last year. Good signing. I hope Smyth will be better with reduced minutes.

Yah 1-year would have been good, but 2-year should be OK still too. And yes, Danis was a big help for OKC last year. And who knows.. maybe he and Khabi swap teams. lol

3. oilinblood says:

For the record i didnt want Smyth re-signed at all BUT I am ok with this because the dollars make sense and i can understand the term. Do i want smyth holding back guys like Harti/MPS (if hemsky is still here) for 2 years? Hell no. With both Hemsky and Smyth here you really have to question if MPS is a career Baron until dealt. Horrible. On the players end i do understand the need to push for the 2 year. If we lose any time to a lockout it IS in older players interest to try to have a full year to complete their current contract. If this wasnt a cba year things would be playing out, on many fronts, alot differently. Not A HUGE issue since Smyth is the type of player that will hold great value at deadlines, whether he is putting up points or not, and unlike hemskys contract wwhere he better get Whitney point totals –80 AT VERY FUKKIN LEAST– ON 5 FUKKIN MILL, smyth can do enough to earn 2.25 easliy.

Parenteau and Whitney to me are the biggest signings of the day. Parenteau may have been playing with Tavares but … he also was playing with Tavares… so every argument that this guy got easy point shifts, it can be said he did so against top checking units and defensive pairs. He is 29 and i might be in the minority when i state he will be a pretty consistent 60 pt guy on a second line. good deal. i believe it to be 3.75 a year?

4. oilinblood says:

per ryan rishaug tsn

“Its my belief ales hemsky is heavily in play today on the trade front”

then tsn panel had his name on their lists of players being shopped

f yeah. about fn time..

–a couple of things come to mind here. Kreuger said hemsky would have to be open to playing the lw. Hemsky has always thrown hissy fits about playing any other position. Kreuger wants hard back checks or will press box assets.

it was the beginning of the end. I guess Katz doesnt have total control of this team or hed have his shy buddy locked up until 65.

i would say there are 6 teams in play for Hemsky. Alot has to do with who wins Parise. NJ, Detroit Pitts Columbus NYR OTT.

5. oilinblood says:

apparently someone has offered a 13 yr 100 mill contract to Suter. I smell oilers. Im gonna go throw up now. apparently its 12 M each of the next 2 years. Weber is better. throwing up.

im hopin git is the islanders though. this reeks of wang.

Racki: I don’t think it’s the Oilers. Tambellini kind of made it sound like the Oilers weren’t going to be players in free agency, and everything would be done via trade. That’s way too risky a deal, no matter how good he may be. Whichever team it is that did that.. yikes. Crazy.

I like Suter, but not at that contract. Tambi isn’t exactly known for telling the truth either when it comes to this stuff haha (see last year’s we probably won’t be active speech June 30th)

As for trades, that is the best way to go. Oilers need a top 4 vet shut-down guy and there isn’t one on the FA market. Hemsky is on the block to bring that guy in. I’m expecting a trade somewhat shortly after the big fish sign.

This is true, GMs generally play their cards close to their chest. But I don’t see much reason to do so in this case, so who knows.

9. john says:

From what Friedman was saying on Fan960 this morning it sounds like Philly is the one offering Parise AND Suter ridiculous money; to the tune of $100 mil each! Minny also reportedly took the gloves off throwing out similar contract proposals. Way too rich for the Oilers now that we have 4 potential superstar forwards, as well as acouple promising dmen that will all need big money contracts over the next couple years. Matt Carle could still be had for @ $4.5- 5 mill per, if he was willing to come West that is.

john: Matt Carle could still be had for @ $4.5- 5 mill per, if he was willing to come West that is.

From what I understand (I think it was one of Friedman’s 30 thoughts), his family is all in Alaska (minus 1 brother in Denver) so he actually prefers to come west.

12. john says:

chucker: Yeah ridiculous hey John? He is gonna get two signing bonuses of 12 million. One in the first year and one in the second. That is insane, but teams were also told that is the starting point for negotiations.

@Chucker: Ya good thing we had a lock out to deal with all the threats to the well being & sanity of hockey! *insert huge eyeroll here*

@Steve-O: Hmmm… that is potentially good news! Mind you since the Nucks lost out on the Schultz sweepstakes (haha!) you have to think they might be willing to lure Carle with something like a 5yr contract @ $5.5-6 per; similar to Calgary’s Wideman deal. I don’t see any way Suter signs a 10-12 yr deal in a market like Vancouver so they will feel the need to pull the trigger on something.

TSN says the wings offered Suter $90M over 13 years… pretty ridiculous if you ask me. But hey, whatever floats their boat. I guess that’s who they hope will be their next Lidstrom (not that I think he’s bad.. I just think giving any player that long a contract is quite risky). Very tough for a player to live up to something like that too. But I think Suter is one of the best D in the league, so it could work out.

14. dawgtoy says:

Starting to look like Minnesota Wild have instantly improved their club. Suter and Parise? WOW!!! Chuck you are da man!!!

15. dawgtoy says:

Done deal, it’s official. Small market teams hitting it out of the park this summer, love it!

I’m hoping that cause Vancouver signed Garrison, Calgary has Wideman and Minny now has Suter (and Parise!) that Carle likes a reasonable offer by the Oilers.

But who am I kidding, Carle will be getting paid too.

This div is stupid tough now…should the Oilers take the next step it’ll be the Flames as the div doormat.

17. dawgtoy says:

You’d think Carle will receive one hell of a raise today. He’ll be heavily coveted today.