You had me at “Hello, it’s Wayne” – Justin Schulz choo-choo-chooses the Oilers

By , June 30, 2012 3:46 pm
Gretzky bringing a new bride back to Edmonton

Gretzky bringing a new bride back to Edmonton

Wayne has scored again. Gretzky gave the Oilers organization a reach-around by calling the #1 sought after (Ryan Suter aside) defensive free agent talent of this year and presumably told him about how f—ing awesome it is winning cups in Edmonton. Now, we don’t know it was ol’ Wayner that sealed the deal.. but really.. no one says no to Wayne. You say no to Wayne, then you are saying no to hockey.

Also joining the flock of panhandlers was fellow legend Paul Coffey, current coach Ralph Krueger, Taylor Hall (via phone?), Kevin Lowe, and Craig MacTavish. Reijo Ruotsalainen was busy this weekend.

All in all this is a big deal for the Oilers who have seen struggles in recent years to entice big name players to come to Edmonton. Justin Schultz is very unproven still, but the word on the street is this kid is very good. He’s also a right-handed defenseman, which is something I’m always nagging about the importance of, due to their rarity. I’m looking forward to seeing this guy in our lineup next year. I’m thinking the Oilers will leave Smid and Petry together, and Whitney may see some action alongside Justin Schultz. The Oilers will likely have to move a defenseman sometime soon now, as they have 8 NHL (loosely speaking) defensemen in their group. Most teams will only carry 7. Also, it’s unlikely this team is done with the defense.

So.. what now for Gretzky? Who can we have him call next? I think he should call Dany Heatley next and let him know what an asshole he is, but thank him for helping out the rebuild. Next, maybe we can have him call Nashville Predators GM David Poile, and let him know that he is going to trade us Shea Weber, and/or one of his many young, stud D-men. After that, I wouldn’t mind if he called the City of Edmonton and told them to speed up construction of the last leg of the Henday.

13 Responses to “You had me at “Hello, it’s Wayne” – Justin Schulz choo-choo-chooses the Oilers”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

Schultz signs with the Oilers. I guess the phone calls from Gretz and Coffey helped afterall.

I haven’t paid much attention to the hype and I don’t know much about him, but I’m really happy the Oilers were able to land him, because he chose us over 29 other teams. That really says alot, can’t wait to see him play and contribute.

I don’t have high hope that he’ll blow us away in the first year, and that is perfectly fine.. but I just hope that the city doesn’t get all on him like we have with other players when they struggle. I think we’re generally patient with our young players though

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

great picture and caption!

Interestingly enough, Justin Schultz told Ryan Dittrick that he does not have a guaranteed spot on the team.. the Oilers didn’t guarantee him one, and he also does not expect a guaranteed spot. He stated how he needs to earn his spot and he doesn’t believe it should just be handed to him. Could just be saying it to the media, but hopefully that’s true.

6. oilinblood says:

It was Krueger that sealed it. If we were still waiting for Sutter we wouldnt have gotten the signing. Having the coach there to talk about the style etc goes along way in helping you make a decision

Hes a RHD…not hard to figure out his chance of getting in the line up and on the pp is very high.

love the Reijo Ruotsalainen comment… always love references to him.

As I predicted….came down to OTT and EDM.

7. john says:

Ya baaaabyyyyy!! Finally a good young upgrade on defence that didn’t cost squat (aside from the EL contract ticket), & another guy who said “Thanks but fuck you…” to Calgary :P

OIB: Gretzky winning this was all in jest of course. But ya, I heard the same, that Krueger’s sales pitch was apparently remarkable. And you are right, I was pretty surprised to hear that it was just OTT and EDM left, in the AM… I was thinking.. “waaah??? No Vancouver??”. But of course their depth probably made it a better choice for him to come to Edmonton.

And here’s some irony… of course Pronger skipped town on us, demanding a trade.. which we granted, to Anaheim. Now, Schultz works his way out of Anaheim to come to Edmonton. Add in, the Ducks drafted Schultz with the 2nd round pick we gave them from the Dustin Penner offersheet. Six degrees of fucking Anaheim over.

With Justin Schultz signed, the Oilers cap sits at: $47,449,999

The only major players to sign are Sam Gagner and Jeff Petry. We’ll figure $2M per for Petry at this stage of his career. As for Gagner, there are rumors abound of us moving him, but let’s say he gets $3.5M . That leaves about $17M left over.

Yakupov will undoubtedly cap out on his ELC (the bonuses, that is).. so that’s another $3,775,000 I believe, bringing us down to about $13.5M left. Divide that number by 4, and that gives you a little over $3M per superduper player we have here at forward for raises, bringing them into around the $6-$6.5M range. I wonder if that will work? This is all assuming a salary cap of $70.4M. And I haven’t removed Khabi’s big contract (which will be gone when people start re-signing). Also, Horcoff’s contract will come to an end once Yakupov’s ELC is done.

Soooo.. things look manageable. They’ll have to get a little tight.. players will need to take home team discounts here and there, but it could be OK. You have to figure we’ll lose at least one of the big names down the road, but we’ll have a few years of enjoying them all, at least.. you’d think.

Oh and actually that includes Whitney, Nick Schultz, and Ales Hemsky.. 3 guys who make a fair chunk of change that I can see being gone by the time their contracts are up again.

I do like each of them, but I think Whitney’s feet are putting him out of a job slowly, N. Schultz is pretty pricey for a bottom guy (but he may stick around.. who knows). And well.. Hemmer… I always liked him, but if he doesn’t show up, $5M for a 3rd liner… where have we heard that complaint before?

That pic is just creepy. First off, Greztky’s thumb is about a foot long. Schultz looks like he is expecting the nasty from said thumb. I know, I should be instisutionalized.

Today was sweet, especially if you saw all the bitching on the Nucks board at HF. What a big pile of mutants.

This is a HUGE win for the Oil. Every single player in the NHL now is taking a look at us closer to evaluate what is going on here. The days of begging for free agents are fading but goddammit we need a goalie to win some games or it is all for nothing. We need to make the playoffs this year period. Go get us a true starter Tambi. The NHL is watching.

Nothing against Dubby but he still is just a decent backup to me and gets beat high way to much. Somebody better step up and seize that starter role. Hopefully we can deal Khabbi to a cap floor team for a bottle of Gatorade. I would like to see a dialing tandem in net. Khudobin or a Neuvirth type would be ideal. (no way Caps deal Holtby). Maybe Lehner….

So, I was wondering about the possibilities of signing Ryan Suter earlier today (And why I came up with all the salary stuff earlier). Robin Brownlee just posted, suggesting that the Oilers are going to make a strong push for Suter Sunday (someone call Gretz up!).

Anyways, let’s humor that fan-fucking-tasic idea…although I’m not sure it’s possible beyond 2 years. If it happens, I say Whitney is gonzo… unless we move other big salary like Hemsky or Horcoff or Khabi.. but each of those are seriously unlikely to happen.

Hall Gagner Eberle
    Yakupov Nuge Hemsky
    Smyth Horcoff Jones
    Petrell Belanger ????

Suter J. Schultz ( too early? maybe not, playing with a superb d like suter)
    Smid Petry
    Sutton/Peckham Schultz/Potter

I think that’s a big step forward, although I’d like to see our bottom six improved, as well as goaltending. But maybe with the big defense upgrade, we can fake good goaltending (like Detroit has in the past)

I think Khabbi is gone. Either to a cap floor team or Europe on loan or in the minors. We need somebody young to battle for that spot. Lehner is apparently available…