Oilers bring back the big ginger for another year…

By , June 19, 2012 10:10 am

Details haven’t been flushed out yet, but the Oilers have signed winger Lennart Petrell to a 1-year deal. I think this is good, as he seemed to fit in fairly well. He’s a good PKer, although the offensive upside with him seems quite low. He also does provide some toughness, and even got into a few fights last year. He should slot in on the 4th line again this year and provide valuable minutes to the penalty kill.

12 Responses to “Oilers bring back the big ginger for another year…”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

From the headline i thought that Raffi Torres was coming back.

The headline would have read: “Oilers bring back the coked up werewolf for another year” in that case.

3. dawgtoy says:

Racki:

And I thought Reddox! If this signing is an indication of things to come and/or an indication of the lineup for next season, I’d best stay away from tall building and bridges.

Not many are fans of Petrell it would seem, and I can understand that. I personally don’t mind him, although I can see good reason for an upgrade there. But I think he’s helped the PK out, and is a decently tough player.

Edit: add to this, this is his first year of North American hockey… we know there can be an adjustment phase. Another year with Petrell wouldn’t be too terrible a thing I don’t think. And I think his ability to PK is enough to keep him around on line 4.

5. G&S says:

He is one of those role players who doesn’t get a lot of credit because he plays for a shit team. If he were on a championship contending team then he would get full praise for the type of work he does.

I was mentioning this to Racki at work, but I don’t think he even makes a playoff team.

I don’t disagree that he works his ass off, and plays a game that I appreciate however I don’t see him on a team that goes places.

I’m thinking that he might be a 13th forward though. Not sure if he is waiver eligible yet?? If not, then we could also have him available for call ups…

That’s if Tambo gets off his ass and brings some real NHLers in here.

But anyways, I know he isn’t exactly a flashy player, but Stanley Cup teams do sometimes have guys that are pure defense (ex. Kirk Maltby, for the most part). I also think that given this was his first NHL year, he deserves a little grace. I didn’t think he was a bad player at all.. but he might not be able to pitch in any offense though (which makes him replaceable).

8. G&S says:

We said the same things about Colin Fraser didn’t we???

Superb point! Assuming that was directed at the comment of not seeing Petrell on a playoff team. It’s a one year deal too, so I don’t know why some folks (not saying anyone here) are making it out to be a heinous crime on Tambellini’s part. Not really a big deal, if you ask me.

Yeah, Racki and I were talking about Fraser the other day as well. I was wondering how a useful player on two cup winning teams all of a sudden becomes useless here.

Maybe cause he was only expected to break even with limited 4th line min on those teams? And we expected too much here?

Who know, still doesn’t change my opinion on Petrell, but I can see how others would like him.

Steve-O:
    Yeah, Racki and I were talking about Fraser the other day as well.I was wondering how a useful player on two cup winning teams all of a sudden becomes useless here.

I would take Petrell over Fraser simply because of how Fraser played here. Fraser didn’t really seem to give a shit, or something. His defensive game was mediocre at best. He provided no offense. He was a punching bag when he attempted to fought, and he gone thrown around. Really, that’s fine and dandy that the Kings have him and made him into a 4th liner for them. Maybe he’s playing with more heart there. But here, he didn’t really provide anything that ANY other player couldn’t have provided, imho.

1 year, 1 way, $825k deal. Nothing to get worked up about, if you ask me. Fine deal.