Krueger it is…

By , June 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Looks like Ralph Krueger will be named head coach of the Oilers tomorrow morning, per Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun. Bob Stauffer mentioned that Krueger was the likely hire a while back as well.

Tomorrow it will be official, and we can put the “shouldn’t we have a coach in place before we go grovel at Justin Schultz’s knees?” comments to rest.

What do you guys think about this one? I’m OK with it… at least worth a shot. Sometimes I think there are a lot of overrated coaches out there. Go with what works. The Oilers sure shit the bed last year, but Krueger can at least take a lot of credit from taking our powerplay from the bottom to #3 overall. Now, hopefully he can do the same climb in the standings.

Edit: Krueger’s contract is for 3 years.

25 Responses to “Krueger it is…”

I don’t love it, but if you take the “anybody but Sutter” stance like I do, it could have been worse. Better than Marc Crawford too imo

I really want Jon Cooper but I knew that would be just too risky/out of the box for this management group, although I still hold out some miniscule hope that he or someone similar could be named as an assistant.

2. dawgtoy says:

Ditto. No sloppy seconds Sutter and definitely no Crawford. Really I would have been in the extend Renney one year category, but what’s done is done. Krueger was good in the short term (very small sample size) while replacing Renney when he was concussed. I’m sorta meh about the whole thing. Rather they were announcing Schultz signing, but unless Tambo gets him some players, it won’t matter who’s coaching. .

Hmm, I was beginning to think I was the only one on this “anybody but Sutter/Crawford” train. Lots of people around here seem to love Sutter, and that is one guy that I’m talking about when I say that I think some coaches are a bit overrated.

I know the Krueger hiring won’t be as glamorous as announcing Scotty Bowman as our coach, but I think it’s clear that the players understand his message, and he gets through to them. I think of him kind of as this org’s Dan Bylsma.

At any rate, he deserves a shot as much as many coaches out there. I’m definitely keeping an open mind.

But then again, I was disappointed when Renney was turfed!

Seriously though, we need a coach in place whilst we fallate Schultz.

5. hemmerlady says:

Not sure what I think about it. I like what I see as far as Kruger’s rapport with the players. Obviously the powerplay thing is a big deal.

Just curious why people are against Crawford? I’m not disagreeing, just want to hear your POV.

I think the boys need the right combination of support and tough love (i.e. ass kickin’, especially where unspecified complacent veterans are concerned – if you don’t “show up” every game, then GTFO.) I really think the attitude in the dressing room has a lot to do with the result on the ice.

Does anyone remember that month (1998? Long time ago, can’t remember the year) when Doug Weight had a closed-door meeting with the team, and after that they went undefeated for a month? We need that kind of leadership. The team wasn’t much good (definitely not on paper) back then either but had more heart and never-say-die grit.

The one thing that I really do like about his hiring is that he is so widely considered to be extremely charismatic and a phenomenal motivator.

Pretty good article up by Terry Jones outlining his strengths, I really like what he has to say about offense and creating strategy based on talent and availability of players rather than trying to plug players into roes they’re not suited for. This might be pretty good after all.

link to article—> http://edmontonsun.visibli.com/share/vxw5cA

Excerpt from above noted article regarding Krueger’s motivational/charismatic traits::

If you want a testimonial about this guy, it’s hard to top the one that Klaus Zaugg, the longtime and highly respected Swiss hockey writer, provided.

“Ralph was the smartest and most charismatic coach in Europe for the previous 15 years,” he insists.

“He is not only hockey-smart, but life-smart. He wrote a book Team Life, about how to handle problems in life and it was a bestseller. He
made $30,000 for a two-hour-motivation speech in front of high-profile managers. He can fill every room with his
 presence.”

Yah, I think it’s pretty clear, the effect he has on players and colleagues. I can`t remember who was saying it (maybe it was anonymous), but I’d heard of coaches or gms (not on the Oilers) speaking highly of Krueger. I think he’ll work out here as well as anyone else would. I think the question is more: “is the management group willing and able to win?”

HL: I don’t really have too much issue with his ability as a coach, although he’s really only had one or two or three years in his 15-ish year coaching history that I’d actually consider successful. It’s more the fact that I think his comments on CBC have shown him to be fairly anti-Oilers. That would probably change if he were hired here, but it’s probably my biggest annoyance/concern with him.

I thought I’d search up Ralph Krueger on hockeydb to see his coaching career. I found out that a while back he coached Rick Nash…… actually, it was Rick Nasheim.. but I thought that was pretty comical. LOL

9. G&S says:

Seems like a good choice to me. Ralph earned a least a shot. He will be on a short leash (as would any new hire) but I have a good feeling about this one. Sounds like he is more willing to play to the strengths of the team. Something I thought was a big weakness with Renney.

Racki:
    I thought I’d search up Ralph Krueger on hockeydb to see his coaching career. I found out that a while back he coached Rick Nash…… actually,it was Rick Nasheim.. but I thought that was pretty comical. LOL

I bought a donair from that dude the other day. Nasheim’s Donair. True story.

11. dawgtoy says:

And so it begins.

“Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)
    6/26/12 9:45 PM
    Interesting day for Oilers tomorrow. Will announce Ralph Krueger as new coach at 9 am MT, meet with UFA Justin Schultz in TOR in afternoon.”

Jason Gregor tweeted:

Was just told Oilers likely won’t meet Schultz til Thurs or Friday. Presser at 9 am MST tomorrow likely won’t get to TOR til 5 EST.

13. G&S says:

I’ve seen in a couple of places now that under Krueger that there is a good chance that we will see Taylor Hall moved to center Also hearing that Gags is somewhat likely to receive an offer sheet this summer to.

14. dawgtoy says:

Watching Yak this morning. That kid moves. Wow. Quick release.

G&S:
    I’ve seen in a couple of places now that under Krueger that there is a good chance that we will see Taylor Hall moved to centerAlso hearing that Gags is somewhat likely to receive an offer sheet this summer to.

Elliott Friedman:

“26. Wrote a couple of weeks ago that Brent Sutter would have received “official” permission to talk to Edmonton if he wanted (his contract with Calgary ends this week). Think I was wrong about that one. Sounds like the Flames weren’t happy with the public dalliance between their former head coach and the Oilers. It’s tough because we all understand the rivalry. But Calgary did fire Sutter and you can’t blame a guy for looking at new work.”

17. G&S says:

Racki: Yah Friedman thought he could be a likely target. I can understand that… we likely wouldn’t keep Gagner at say a $4M+ cap hit. I wish teams would just trade for him though.

I agree though, If we are losing Gags then I would rather turn him into some already NHL established help for our back end, Via trade.

G&S: If it was a team offering under $4M then we would likely match it unless we think that team would be a top 5 pick in next years draft as we would get their 1st and 3rd round picks (I think).

Yah, I guess 4M was a bad example, because you’re right.. I wouldn’t just let him go for that amount. I wouldn’t be happy about it.. but I’d still hang on to him. That is a Hemsky-esque contract that could work out in the long run. To start it wouldn’t be all that impressive though.

But anyways, yes, point being there is a magic number where we’d have to let Gagner go if offersniped. But, yah, I’d much prefer we either signed him for a good contract, or traded him for some D assets.

19. oilinblood says:

weird thing about this is that on sunday i did my usual news check. I just used my samsung note and checked the mobile version of the journal and tsn looking for news on schultz etc. When i got to the sun , reminder this was Sunday, there was a link to the terry jones article that posted tuesday with the same picture used. the heading was Oilers to officially announce Kreuger as head coach. When i clicked the header…it resulted in a 404… and when i went back to the home page no amount of refreshing brought that link back up.
    It was like it never happened but i knew sunday that this outcome was happening.

Also, it has been clarified that Sutter was not allowed to discuss anything with the Oilers. Sutter never got permission to talk to the Oilers about the head coaching position. This has been verified by more than a few of the most credible sources in the game.

i think this is a stronger move with MacT being in the organization. MacT wont be hovering over Kreuger but Macs intelligence and experience should be considered an asset that is usable by a rookie nhl headman.

20. oilinblood says:

flames signed wideman 5 years over 5 m cap hit LOL. i knew he would get that kind of money from someone desperate. i am happy it was the flames that drastically overpaid.

OIB: I don’t think they’ll get anywhere near the same performance out of him that the Caps did. I think the cap hit is too high, but I still think he is a good player and does make them a better team. Cap hits don’t affect the scoresheet (well… they shouldn’t… maybe some players overthink their salary too much and can’t handle the pressure), so I’m not really concerned about that when we are facing Wideman 6 times per year (or whatever it is now).
    I don’t really like that the Flames picked him up for two reasons:
    - I have him in my keeper, and I don’t think he’ll live up to standards and give me good value for the price
    - I think he’ll do well for them in some fashion, even if he isn’t putting up big numbers like with other teams. So any time they get better.. well boo-urns to that.

22. dawgtoy says:

Wideman in Ctown huh. If he was signed and they keep Jbo, they’ve improved their team, but have a lot of coin tied up on their backend. If they move Jbo, which is likely, I think they’ve erred. Wideman is a career minus hockey player, who can get you point from the backend mostly on the PP. He is not a shutdown defender like Jbo has become. I’d rather have Jbo to Wideman any day. If Calgary can keep both and afford both, good for them. If they plan to move Jbo in favor of Wideman, they’ll slide some more in the standings. Wow, former 8th round pick gets the big bucks.

Since i don’t think it was mentioned.. Krueger’s contract is for 3 years.

24. john says:

Guarded optimism on this one. After watching Oil Change last season I sorta had the opinion that Krueger was an easy going goofball; but hearing him on the radio after the hiring he sounded very serious about what he expects from the team (especially veteran players!), as well as having very focused game plan & lots of motivated energy towards practices & excecution. If he can get the team to buy into what he’s trying to sell then it should be good & I’m all for it :) You can include me in the group who is glad Sutter didn’t get the job! I used to have the opinion he would be a great coach for young talent but after seeing the way he stubbornly tries to pound guys into the roles he expects them to play instead of recognising players strengths & putting them into positions to succeed (ala ’10-12′ Flames, 2012 Worlds),
    i don’t see his value. The funny thing is the only people who seem pissed Sutter didn’t get the job is Flamer fans partly because they think they know pretty much everything & were convinced he was “The One”; & also because they hoped he would fuck our team up for 2 or 3 years lol :P