Draft day!

By , June 22, 2012 9:35 am
Looking at you, Tambo...

Looking at you, Tambo…

So tonight is the 1st round of the NHL Entry draft. Exciting times for Oilers fans (wouldn’t it be great if we could look forward to something else other than the draft?). Some of the media out there seem to be of the mind that the Oilers will pick Ryan Murray. I’m pretty sold that we’ll take Nail Yakupov. I should say, I’m pretty sold that we SHOULD take Nail Yakupov. Most lists have had him as the consensus #1 since nearly the start of the year. Most scouts have said that there is Nail… and then there is everyone else – there apparently is a big drop off after Yakupov. These other kids are decent talents, but Yakupov is apparently that much better. So why would we settle for a lesser player, just because we need defensemen?

Erik Duhatschek had an article about why he thinks the thought of defensemen taking longer to develop is old-school, and wrong. David Staples had a rebuttal to this, which answers my question of “he singled out one year.. what about the other years?” He provides details of at least the 2006-2011 stretch, stating that the forwards have been more prominent in this group (Save for the 2008 “anomaly”).

So who is it going to be? I think Yakupov.

In other news, Jordan Staal and Keith Yandle are two names that have been rumored to be available now. Interesting. I’d like either of those guys on this team. Staal will likely go play with his bro, Eric, in Carolina… because according to the media, he can’t pull his brother’s tittie out of his mouth.. apparently. I guess guys will only play with family. As far as Yandle.. well, he’d help out our D situation. The Oilers would need to move someone. I think guys that should be available are: Corey Potter, Ryan Whitney, and Nick Schultz. To a lesser extent, Theo Peckham (I think he’ll pick it back up this year and be good again.. and make people regret jumping off his bandwagon), and Andy Sutton (whom I really like here because of his toughness, and get-it-done, keep-it-simple defensive play).

Also, Bob McKenzie seems to figure that the Oilers and Justin Schultz are a good fit for each other. I like that idea, but I hope the Oilers don’t give him a very high contract. The guy hasn’t played in the NHL… let’s not pay him a $4M / year contract already. Actually, from what I understand, he’ll be an entry-level deal, anyways.. so that might not be a concern. I think the Oilers could appease his need to stay in the NHL by offering him a one-way deal though. He might still play in the AHL, but he’ll get paid like an NHLer. Fine by me, and probably fine by money-bags McGee.

Update @ 9:40AM: Forgot to mention that the rumor is Christobal Huet wants to come back to the NHL again, and will play for cheap. The Oilers should be all over this. However, given that we keep our overpaid aging, 1st-overall acquiring goaltender here, and send the superior (Danis, Gerber) goaltenders down to the AHL… I don’t see the Oilers bringing him here to play in the NHL. They’ll ride out Khabibulin, so long as we still have him.

Chat is currently closed.

19 Responses to “Draft day!”

Would Huet really be an upgrade? Not sure. Also, I doubt Schultz is included in a deal to get Yandle. Gagner and our second plus Pecks MIGHT get consideration.

What if the Oil pick Gally.

2. dawgtoy says:

Schultz signing here along with Yakupov would be considerable steps in the right direction. Had a Vasectomy this morning, therefore as per Dr. orders I’m to sit on the couch and do nothing. So I’ll be following twitter and the draft quite closely with my trusty bag of frozen corn. Sorry about the mental picture, but I’ll probably comment like a bored fool all over this thread.

I was thinking about putting up the game day chat later too, just as an fyi..

4. dawgtoy says:

Yeah I could blow the dust off the laptop and chat later with y’all.

5. Ktown says:

Millhouse and the Pillsbury Dough Boy both call Ryan Murray for first overall, based on all the chatter they’re hearing.

Personally, I know Tencer and Stauffer are both in tight with the team, but I’ve got to think that nobody from the team is running outside and dropping gossip.

Remember the episode of Oil Change, when they made the choice on Hallsy, everyone got put on lockdown, including Katz’ kid. I don’t put a lot of stock in the whole “chatter” bs…

That said, if the less-than-dynamic duo are right, I have to say, I’d be a little disappointed. If 9 out of 10 scouts are saying Yakupov, I wonder – how good is Stu if he goes along with the Murray pick?

Ktown: I’m certain that the Oilers are smarter now when it comes to drafting. I think they have been waiting until the absolute last second to reveal their pick. I also think, just like previous years, they’ve been tight lipped about the pick, and no one really knows about it other than people that need to know.

I think the Oilers are going to pick Yakupov… I’d be really surprised if they didn’t.

Like you said, 9 out of 10 scouts have Yakupov at #1. He’s the consensus #1 amongst all the major scouting groups that actually matter (CSS, ISS, Redline, etc.,… TSN..). He has been for quite some time too. This Murray kick has been a recent thing, and I have to question why all of a sudden Murray is gaining stock in the draft during the OFF-SEASON. All these guys have had Yakupov at #1 for the whole year, or nearly the whole year.. and definitely at the end of the year… and suddenly in the off-season when no one is even playing hockey (and therefore shouldn’t be gaining any draft stock), Murray climbs the ladder? Not likely.

The Oilers welcome Yakupov… the Jackets welcome Murray. As good as done. If not, then Stu and co. better be really sure about it.

edit: Both Tambellini and MacGregor have been pushing the “best player available” line for a while now… this year, and previous years. So if they take Murray, it’s because they think he’s better or on par with Yak. But I don’t think many really think that is the case, and I also doubt the Oil scouts do.

7. dawgtoy says:

Spector and Pronman both indicate via twitter that something brewing with the Oilers. Their belief is Reinhart is coveted and that the Oilers are trying to trade down.

dawg: was just about to come say that. Yeesh.

I hope it’s not true. I still think we should be acquiring Yakupov since he’s the #1 by what many considered a mile not that long ago.

Shades of Parise, all over again.

I’ll just be the guy to say.. so I can say “I told you so later”….

If we trade down and take Reinhart, it will put huge pressure on the kid. Spector said drafting him 1st will put huge pressure on him. Either way, there will be huge pressure. Think Pouliot and Parise. It didn’t matter that we were drafting 17th… it just mattered that we DIDNT draft Parise when we could have and chose to trade the pick.

My prediction should we trade down:

We take him at 3rd or 4th or whatever…. he still has a big weight on him to perform. He takes a long development path.. the Oil fans lynch him…. career ruined. :lol: I’m being a little melodramatic.. but I just don’t see this as a good idea at all. I’d rather see them trade some other assets to try and get the CBJ pick, or MTL pick, or something like that.

10. dawgtoy says:

Bra and Panties says Murray as per Garfield. She’s like a broken clock, right twice a day, who know? Trading down historically is a bad idea, But if someone has an offer you can’t refuse…this could all be smoke and mirrors as well.

I actually think Reinhart will be a really good player, I just don’t think you pick him at #1 when a more talented player is available.

Should they trade down, depending who they trade with (and depending who they get)I wouldn’t mind it. I just don’t want to see them trade with the laffs, then have Reinhart be picked 4th and have to hear about how they just missed him for years.

Dawg: “She” is just repeating what Tencer, Stauffer, and now Jones are saying.

I don’t like the idea at all, but if we do trade down, we could get a good player in that deal (aside from our draftee). That could sway my opinion a bit. The names that have been thrown out there are Luke Schenn and PK Subban. The teams involved seem to not want to deal those guys though.

I am certain both Montreal and Toronto want both Galchenyuk and Yakupov too, so I’m not so certain that they’d be interested in just climbing the draft.. hard to say. Also, Steve-O figures Reinhart will be gone by pick 4, which could be true.

Then there’s New Jersey… would they be all over Yakupov enough to give us Larsson?

I want to note that Reinhart really came on at the end, as far as rankings in the standings. He was in the teens or maybe around 10 for most of the year, iirc. Now, he jumps up a huge amount. I don’t think anyone had him as the draft’s best d-man available… so this choice worries me. They’re not just passing up on Yakupov if they trade #1 and draft Reinhart… they’re passing up on Murray, Dumba, Reilly… risky.

14. dawgtoy says:

This whole draft is risky IMO. So many people could end up being the top player. Galchenyuk would be who I’d trade down to get. TML likely would be the best chance of moving down. They’ve offered Schenn likely, we want Gardiner likely, they’ll likely meet in the middle.

15. dawgtoy says:

I would sweeten any deal to walk away with PK and the third. Then you grab Galchenyuk and that’s a damn great day.

16. Ktown says:

Dawg, I like your idea. But for the first time in three drafts, I’ve just got some serious doubt creeping into my thoughts…

Taylor vs. Tyler was a win-win.
    RNH was a simple pick
    This one has opportunities for bad decision making written all over it.

I like Stu’s drafting in the late rounds, and I’m holding fast to the idea that he knows what he’s doing and is good at it.

I guess we’ll see…

17. dawgtoy says:

Ktown, of course I agree. Might be studd and might be duds. Major differences in opinion all over the place in regards to the top five or even top ten. That’s why IMO the safest pick seems to be Nail. We will soon see how this plays out. Should be fun.

Racki, regarding your concern of the Oilers overpaying Justin Schultz… I’m almost certain that base on his status when he becomes signable he will only be able to sign for a maximum of $940,000(ish) + bonus’ for the next two years…which is kind of why it’s so interesting to see where he goes since it will be an even playing field contract wise regardless of where he sign.

gr8one: yup, I got that. In the original post, I started off by mentioning that we shouldn’t overpay, and as I was typing, it dawned on me that he’d be on ELC anyways, and I typed that out, correcting myself. lol Should have just backspaced it.

In other news.. Chat is up, folks