Craig MacTavish hired!

By , June 11, 2012 11:09 am

Yeah Bitches!

As per the Oilers news release they have hired Craig MacTavish in the Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations role.

Welcome back Mac-T.

17 Responses to “Craig MacTavish hired!”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

And so MacTavish is added to a position of true need at our beloved organisation…”Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations”. That must streamline the franchise. Who the clusterfuck makes the decisions now, with this bureaucratic monstrosity?

Funny, if nothing less.

And we’ve got enough blame to go around to feed another, I suppose.

I should tweet the link as “Oilers hire MacTavish!” just to make the oil world shit their pants.

3. Ktown says:

I’m gonna have to agree with NorOil… I’m not sure what purpose this really serves. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good hockey guy, but I don’t see how adding another level of management is going to solve the issues with the on-ice product.

I don’t see this as a bad move. The guy got his masters and coached the Wolves to a winning record all while he was battling, and still is battling, lymphoma. A good move in my view. MacT becomes the new “GM in waiting”. With the terms of Tambellini’s contract not yet disclosed, this puts that pressure to win on Tambellini even more I would think.

I always liked the guy, just not the last year or so as coach. He’s a smart man and adds value to me. I was not surprised to see this at all. There have been rumours he would be coming back in some capacity for a while.

The other thing is it gives us the ability to have somebody who can step in on an emergency basis to coach, should Tambellini fuck that up as well.

There is some chatter on twitter that he’ll eventually replace Tambellini as GM.

Which I would like…but I’m not a fan of Tambellini and I was/am a fan of MacTavish.

6. mrgod2u says:

Well if he isn’t coaching the team or GM’ing it what damage can he do? I was completely done with him as a coach when he left, but he does pass the “understands what it means to be an Oiler” test. I am a little sceptical about the strategy of moving forward by looking backwards, but he is a good guy and he knows hockey…

7. NorwegianOiler says:

mrgod2u:

Well if he isn’t coaching or GM’ing, what the heck IS he doing? =P

NorwegianOiler: Well if he isn’t coaching or GM’ing, what the heck IS he doing? =P

Making sure Pat Quinn doesn’t get lost at Rexall (and making sure Pat Quinn doesn’t ask too many questions about what his own role with the Oilers is)

Seriously though, I think Quinn’s term is up.. but it seems like MacT is in a similar role. In charge of collecting a paycheque.

Was anyone in this position before or has it been created for MacT? I’m actually a bit more concerned about his health after this announcement. I read how much he enjoyed being behind the bench again, and he had a decent season in the AHL this year, so you would think another NHL coaching gig would have been possible. I can understand if he had been out of a job and it was later in the off-season, but I thought he had a 2 year deal with the Wolves.

Coaching certainly seemed to be his priority per this article: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Craig+MacTavish+waiting+room+enjoying+life+back+behind+bench/6051703/story.html

I just wonder if perhaps his health has been telling him he wasn’t up to coaching anymore and Lowe wanted to make sure he was taken care of.

10. DropIt says:

Great hire by the Oilers. I was in the camp of hoping Calgary could bring him in as a coach before Hartley was hired.

I thought the first team to pick him up as a coach was going to be a smart one, I guess this time that was Edmonton and I still am kind of shocked that he hadnt picked up a coaching job in all these years.

11. G&S says:

What a weird summer in Oil Country………. At least we have a guy with some real experience in place to take over a role if Tambi or the new coach need kicking to the curb during next season.

So……. when do they announce that Peter Klima is attemping another comeback with the Oil???

LNOF: I thought the health issues were behind him now… no?

Racki: LNOF: I thought the health issues were behind him now… no?

This article was less than a year ago – I think he’s dealing with it head-on, but it’s still an ongoing battle from the sounds of it. Haven’t seen anything recently though. Just makes me wonder is all.

14. dawgtoy says:

On a completely different note, what it could have been for Ryan Smyth tonight? Hoisting the Stanley Cup as a member of the Kings vs A millionaire squabbling for more money as a member of the 29th ranked team in the NHL.
    P.S. I love the hiring, Welcome home MacT.
    P.S.S Greene makes it 6-1 and I still hate that damn trade.

There are still very serious obstacles with his cancer, but for now he is in a low remission. It won’t ever go away, at least it is extremely unlikely it will, but he has had one of the best responses possible. He is looking like one of the lucky 5% ers at this point. ( I still am privy to some things).

I do not know if this is a fictitious position just created for him. I don’t get that impression at all. I think it was a good time away where he learned some things and they know how smart he is and his interpersonal skills and that made it an easy decision. When you look at our management, it was about time to add some more minds to the process. We are still very light in management compared to lots of teams or now on par. I wish him tremendous success.

16. hemmerlady says:

congrats with the headline – you managed to scare the bejeezus out of me.

I like MacT and I’m not against him being involved in the organization.But I’m not sure this move really does anything for us.

chucker:
    There are still very serious obstacles with his cancer, but for now he is in a low remission. It won’t ever go away, at least it is extremely unlikely it will, but he has had one of the best responses possible.He is looking like one of the lucky 5% ers at this point. ( I still am privy to some things).

I do not know if this is a fictitious position just created for him. I don’t get that impression at all. I think it was a good time away where he learned some things and they know how smart he is and his interpersonal skills and that made it an easy decision.When you look at our management, it was about time to add some more minds to the process. We are still very light in management compared to lots of teams or now on par. I wish him tremendous success.

Yah, I honestly don’t think so either.. my response above was purely tongue in cheek because we have a pretty large group in charge of decisions now, even if you just consider upper management/ownership. Katz + MacT + Lowe + Tambellini….

I’m 50/50, because I think MacT is a smart mind. And I kind of wonder if his time as coach will make him say “hey, this team f—ing sucked because it was missing (blank)”. Although, I’ll be honest, for a while I’ve wondered if starving the coach of certain key players was an intentional plan for a bit. I dunno. At any rate, I think this is an OK signing. Hopefully there aren’t too many cooks here. But I think he’s a smart hockey mind, so it’s good to have him back aboard without him being a head coach!