Oilers cut Tom Renney loose

By , May 17, 2012 5:08 pm
Oilers will not renew Renney's contract

Oilers will not renew Renney's contract

The Oilers have announced that they will not renew the contract of Tom Renney. Apparently the leading candidates currently for the position are: Todd Nelson (Oklahoma Barons), Brent Sutter (formerly of the Calgary Flames) and Derek Laxal (Oil Kings).

13 Responses to “Oilers cut Tom Renney loose”

1. dawgtoy says:

That’s a lot of coaches for this organization in a short period of time. The GM will soon have to be held to some accountability. This will be Tambo’s last gimme before he has to start answering to this. Chose the next one well ST.

I honestly don’t like it at all. I know there’s some people out there in “Oil Nation” that are happy that the coach is gone, but I agree with you dawgtoy… this will be coach number 4 in .. 5 years? Really, I’m not sure how Tambi has kept his job.

Well, if you follow the pattern of GMs in Pitt and Chi, Tambi has to show now or he is gone at the end of the year. He likely has a two year deal waiting to be signed, but Dawg is right. You cannot blame the coach anymore. For the record, I feel it was the right decision. I have never been a Renney fan any more than I was MacT.

Nelson should be the guy to me. He has shown he can use these players and get results. But there is the Butter factor….

4. dawgtoy says:

chucker:
    Well, if you follow the pattern of GMs in Pitt and Chi, Tambi has to show now or he is gone at the end of the year. He likely has a two year deal waiting to be signed, but Dawg is right. You cannot blame the coach anymore. For the record, I feel it was the right decision.I have never been a Renney fan any more than I was MacT.

And no Sutter please.

Agreed Dawgtoy. I am no fan of this Brent Sutter affair.

Better F’n not be MacT. What are we, the goddam Hurricanes?

6. oilinblood says:

I really liked MacT. I thought he was an excellent coach when he had a team he could coach on the fly with and make adjustments. MacT lost the room and yes he had people he couldnt trust in anything other than the softest of assignments. Most of his players were left to handle premium ice while his horses logged all those defensive shifts and were pooped after 20 games since 50 of the 60 minutes was on the defensive. Renney had zero ability to adapt and work his bench in-game. I respect Tambi for not commenting, dissecting, renney as a coach and giving any validation or reasons. also throwing players under the bus in november was just plain wrong. MacT was very good at adjusting in-game but for the most part he had a lack of options.
    I doubt very much that MacT would ever be back. I also doubt Sutter will be hired, although i think he could end up being the best choice out there -after watching his teams dominate WJHC. I am torn on sutter. Sutter would also eat Hemsky for breakfast. infact i dont think hemsky will survive the next coach if picked correctly. Any coach that comes in now will need to get consistency and 100% buy-in from all vets at all times.
    I am in full agreement that this is Tambis last season to save his job.
    On a side note i have watched Ottawa alot this year as well as the Oilers and the coaching is Renney with (+) expectations and ability to change in-game.
    Martin has led some exciting Sens teams – Havlat and Hossa – Young Spezza Alfie Sens was pretty awesome to watch and made their goalie look better than he was with an OK defence. Martin isnt as tough as i would like to see though.
    I guess we will see. In my mind if you dont show up….scratch you for a month. show up like a professional be ready to live and die on the ice on every play or GTFO.

Also i will point out the obvious right now. We havent had talents like eberle RNH and Hall since doug weight. Its the most obvious truth to non-homers. You can take all the hemskys and schremps and omarks and make the little reels of clips but it wont amount to anything but comedy when compared to what these kids will do before they each celebrate their 22nd birthdays. we have been used to pathetic phoneys making a show once every 15 games and now we have talents that can play with pylons and achieve while learning and playing both ways.
    we finally have hockey players.

I am totally on board the no-Sutter train.

I’m actually surprised how many people out there are pulling for him to be hired. His track record is better than Renney’s (I believe), but really, it isn’t overly glowing in the NHL either.

8. mrgod2u says:

I think Renney was a great development coach and has done a lot for turning our prospects into NHL’ers. The evolution of our power-play alone is an amazing improvement. That said I don’t think he was ever going to lead the team to greatness. We easily talk about whether we have the right defenseman or goalie to make it to a cup finish but the coach has a huge part to play in that too. I like Renney, but if we are looking at bringing home the cup (and I still maintain it will be the Oil that brings it back to Canada), then we have to look at our coach as piece to be put in place. He was not summarily fired or anything we are simply parting ways. He will go work for a team that is starting the rebuild, and we will get a coach that can inspire a team to win a championship. I honestly did not see the team getting to the cup under him ever, he just seems too nice. The fact that we are thinking that way means though that the management is looking for the cup run in the next 2-3 years. So expect the off-season to maybe bring a big name signing. My money is that we move that juicy pick for a top pair d-man leading up to the draft. Then free agency will be aggressively filling the remaining holes.

You are possibly right about Renney being good for the development side of things, but not necessarily the long run dream. Not sure. But I’m quite certain that Tambellini is on his last legs and has to show a legitimate desire to pull this team out of the gutter. I am with Strudwick in that no coach would have likely gotten good results with this team. When your GM sits idly by when your team is slipping into the gutter…..

10. mrgod2u says:

I agree, there is a lot riding on this season, and Tambellini’s job is one of them. Some of the bad deals that Tambo signed are still haunting this club. I think we have a much better chance going into this FA period with what most look at as a potential playoff team and contender within 2 years. High end FA’s don’t want to play on 30th place teams that aren’t getting them rings. We have built the foundation, now they will start to come.

On a personal aside, it is great being an Oiler fan in Regina. I wear my Ebs jersey and anyone who wants to make a smart crack about it usually at least gives me a “But Eberle is pretty good” no matter what else they say about the OIL.

I actually think the only bad Tambellini deal left is Khabibulin. Horcoff was Lowe’s doing. And really, the rest of the contracts (imho) aren’t bad. Khabibulin’s contract is done at the end of the year, so I don’t even see that as a problem. I’d say, actually, that Tambellini cleared up cap fairly well without piling much on.

Am I missing a deal? I mean, Souray’s money is still on the books, but I really don’t see that as a big deal. It’s not going to harm the team at all.

The big issue I have with Tambellini is he’s been slow and somewhat ineffective at improving this team in any way other than by blind luck (read: being so bad that we improved via high draft picks). Last year was a step forward though, I thought, with some of the signings. Some didn’t work out, but I think in general he had the right idea, and this was a step forward. So I’m interested in what he can do this year. But he has to be more active (in my opinion) during the season too. Other teams do it.

12. hemmerlady says:

Racki:

Exactly. +10.

I brought this up earlier (I think the only creatures around were crickets) but anyone remember Tambi’s comment on the Oil Change episode when they traded Gibby? He said something like “isn’t it great when there isn’t a single thing you would change…” That bewildered me. Perhaps he was referring to the Gibby trade itself rather than the roster as a whole, but that was a fairly lateral move. So that logic doesn’t fly. If he really meant the team/roster…I think we need to order a custom Orange and Blue straightjacket.

I think Renney was tough on the team when he needed to be, and patient when he needed to be. I think he was the right thing for the Timbits’ development. I’m not sure it’s the best time for a coaching change…I don’t know. Guess something had to move for us to get out of the damn basement.

Interesting that in Tambi’s presser he called out some unspecified vets for underachieving. Though there aren’t that many vets on the team that it’s a mystery.

p.s. I’m on board with:
    -No Sutter
    -No MacT – I like the guy but that coaching ship has sailed.

13. G&S says:

I think the right decision was made here. Sure Renney is a good coach but he is far from a great one. A lot of ppl are saying “look at the team he had” but lets remember that he had been a head coach in two other cities before his stint here and did not do anything substantial with those teams ether.

Fully aboard the Stay Away from Sutter wagon! I endorse Todd Nelson!!