Oil Kings win game 1 of the Memorial Cup..

By , May 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Henrik Samuelsson scored the game winner in Game 1

Henrik Samuelsson scored the game winner in Game 1

The Edmonton Oil Kings have won their first game of the tourney against host team Shawinigan Cataractes by a score of 4-3. There was some controversy in this one.

With the score 3-1, the Cataractes jammed a puck under goaltender Laurent Brossoit. The referee, positioned behind the net, blew the play dead (no goal). The puck slid into the net moments after the whistle (very, very close). The ref discussed the play with a linesman and they decided to go upstairs for a review.

Strangely (to me), the CHL allows the TV broadcast to tap into the conversation between referees and the goal reviewers. I don’t have the exact transcript, but it went something like this.

Ref: “I blew the play dead. I didn’t see the puck cross the line. I just want to know if it went in the net.”
*Short delay*
Reviewer: “The puck did cross the line, the only question is when you blew your whistle” (which if true, is different than the NHL)
Ref again reiterates a couple times that he didn’t see the puck going in before blowing the whistle.
Reviewer: “The puck did cross the line.”
Ref: “So it’s a good goal?”
Reviewer: “It depends on when you blew the whistle. But the puck did cross the line.”
Reviewer: “The call on the ice stands.” (the call on the ice was NO GOAL)
Ref: “So it’s a good goal then?”
Reviewer: “I’m saying the call on the ice stands.”
Ref: “Good goal!” *points to center ice*

Again, that is the paraphrase of the conversation, and not word for word.. but take my word for it, the real conversation wasn’t very much different at all. What a shit show. But luckily the hockey gods sorted this one out, and the Oil Kings won in spite of that bad call. I think the whistle was blown too early, but really, the correct call there was no goal, based on all of the “evidence”.

17 Responses to “Oil Kings win game 1 of the Memorial Cup..”

1. DropIt says:

Edmonton Sha-wins again!

Im trying not to get too excited from the play of Laurent Brossiot (as the last time CGY saw a goalie play like this in the juniors, it was Brent Krahn), but god damn is he playing incredible.

I still would like to have seen Portland playing in the memorial cup, but watching a stacked team with a great [Flames!] prospect in Brossiot is a pretty great runner up.

Its just trying to look past the EDM on the top of my screen and watching the goalie and hopefull potential mid 1st rounder Reinhart

Having watched the Oil Kings for the entire playoffs, DropIt, I can tell you I’m jealous of both Laurent Brossoit (wow has be been phenomenal) as well as Sven Bartschi. He was a constant threat most games in the WHL Final. It’s hard to say that this will translate to the NHL level, but it’s a good sign for Flames fans.

3. DropIt says:

Yeah, goalies are so tough to predict coming out of junior that one really cant get their hopes up.

Baertschi on the other hand, I am 99% confident that he is the real deal and barring any major issue with his development, will become a 1st line player in the NHL. I know I have some obvious bias, but watching alot of Winterhawks games and including the 5 he was up with Calgary for, there is no doubt in my mind.

Hopefully, the past 2 seasons is a sign of things to come for us, as we are finally starting to stock the cupboards which had been so bare for so long. For the first time in forever, I will be cheering for Edmonton to bring back some hardware

Yah to be honest, I found myself pretty impressed with him. He’s easily the best player on the Winterhawks and makes players better, including Rattie. I wonder how Rattie will be without him, but I am pretty certain that Bartschi will be a good player with any other skill player. He seemed to be the straw that stirs the drink for the Winterhawks.

5. dawgtoy says:

London Knights looked good in victory vs the defending champs.

Racki:

Yah that was a little bit of a surprise. And to top it off, Jonathan Huberdeau might get a suspension for an elbow to the head of Matt Rupert.

7. dawgtoy says:

One night London looks brilliant in beating the defending champs, then the next they get their asses handed to them by the hosts. The OilKings could be in the drivers seat with a win tomorrow, or at the worst in a four way tie for 1st. I think it’s the year of the Kings.

A win over Saint John would be HUGE. So far this tourney has been pretty unpredictable. But that’s the way it should be, otherwise why play games?

I don’t really know the format of this tournament, can someone please explain to me? I thought I knew but I read somewhere it’s bad news bears if the host team beats another team and that kind of threw a wrench into my logic.

The way it works is there a round robin in which each team plays each other one time.

The team with the best record gets a bye to the final game.

The 2nd and 3rd place teams play each other to determine who faces the #1 team in the final.

A tie breaker will be played, if necessary, to determine those rankings.

Yikes, that could have ended better.

For whatever reason, this team just looked flat. Either the O and Q are that much better or they ran out of juice (which they shouldn’t have, only 1 series went 7, albeit it was the final).

Anyways, congrats to teh Oil Kings on an awesome season, I expect we’ll see them in Saskatchewan next year.

The Oil Kings will be missing some big pieces next year (the 20 year olds, and probably Mark Pysyk), but I look forward to the emergence of Curtis Lazar and Griffin Reinhart. I think Lazar has a really big season next year.. he showed a LOT of promise towards the end.

The Mem Cup was a bit of a disappointment (I agree… to me they didn’t seem all there), but really this season was BIG for the Oil Kings, and really unexpected. They should hold their heads high.

13. dawgtoy says:

dawgtoy: Zlobin wins it for Shawinigan in OT. Brilliant hockey game. Congrats Cataractes, you took the toughest road, and won the prize.

Agreed, what a game! It was pretty exciting, I was into it more than some of the NHL playoff games so far.

I can’t believe the number of butt-hurt fans crying about this win on some of the message boards, saying the Cats don’t deserve the Memorial Cup because they weren’t their league champs. It’s embarrassing some of them are Oiler fans. This is the 30th year it has been held in this format and only the 6th time a team from the QMJHL has won the Cup. Ironically, the first time it was held in this format the host WHL team won, and they had been bounced from their playoffs just like the Cats were. I’m sure there have been other times where the host team has won without being their league champ.

Yes the Cats had a month off, but sometimes that creates a lot of rust, as noted when they lost their first game. Then they played what, 4 games in 5 nights to win that cup and were the overwhelming underdog. It definitely was the toughest road and well deserving of the Cup!

I don’t know why people both bitching about the format. It is what it is. The Cats still were a very good team anyways. They finished 2nd in the QMJHL. People will find any reason they can to bitch and complain and make excuses.

We beat the Cats once, and every other game (including the rematch), the Oil Kings just looked out of it to me and out matched (fatigue?? Doesn’t seem like a good excuse here). A very good team won the Mem Cup this year.

chucker: Did I see that the infamous Kirill Kabanov was on that Cataractes team? Interesting.http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=118284

With all the drama this guy has had over his junior career, (some beyond his control, some not) it’s nice to see him put together a strong, complete and quiet season and end it with championship as part of a solid team.