Jason Strudwick “busses” Tambellini and co..

By , May 18, 2012 1:20 pm

“Let’s face it, Scotty Bowman would not have done much better with the team Renney was given.”

- Jason Strudwick

I love it, and absolutely agree. I’m not at all a fan of Renney being fired because I don’t think he had been given a proper team at this point. Good luck to the next coach if Tambellini doesn’t completely fix this team’s glue players and goaltending.

6 Responses to “Jason Strudwick “busses” Tambellini and co..”

I see this quote came from his post on Oilers Nation.. here is the link:

“I never understood some of the abuse he took from fans and media alike here in Edmonton. The Oilers were not a playoff team the last two years. Let’s face it, Scotty Bowman would not have done much better with the team Renney was given.”

That is a more full quote. I can’t say I disagree at all. Wise words. Say what you will about Strudwick being a 7th or 11th d-man here, but he’s bang on.

2. dawgtoy says:

Agreed, something stinks in Oiler land and the more coaches we go through the more it appears management is the cause.

I have never been a fan of Renney but he did prove me wrong. He was the right guy to bring the kids into the league. I do think it absolutely is a time to change however. I see too many guys either used poorly, overused or not used at all. His record with “complete teams” is average at best and some would argue that they always underachieved. I like the guy. He is a good man and has lots of class and I get the coaches in a short span thing. It’s time to get serious and bring in a guy nobody in the locker room will question is going to be here for four or five years. It is time for our Quennville or Bylsma if you will. No more soft play and using the rebuild as a fallback. (I do not think Renney would do that nor has he)

To me he did exactly what he was brought in to do and that was develop and shelter the kids and teach. Mission accomplished gold star and all. Thank you for a good job. My feeling is he is not the guy they want or feel has the ability to transform the team into a bunch or guys you hate to play against. Grit and response and a hard hitting team with skill. That is what they are wanting, that is what Renney has always had the ability to do with his past teams and he failed miserably. He coaches the wrong style for what we want to see when guys like Grier and Moreau were feared because you knew you would get hit and hit hard. Meanwhile, we have Eager stapled to the bench and Hordichuk a regular scratch and Hartikainen in the minors. Things will change with the next coach, or at least that is what Oil brass hopes. We shall see soon enough.

I honestly think if the next coach is Brent Sutter, you’ll probably get used to the same thing again.

I will say (and this speaks to your point, Chucker) that Renney had his go-to guys, especially early on. And his go-to guys were playing pretty shitty. I liked though that he sheltered the kids for a while though and eased them into the league.

I think the thing I’m not too happy about here is that I can see a new coach come in and learn the players, and try and role with the vets for a while before he figures out who really stirs the drink here. Hopefully I’m surprised and the new coach puts the kids in as many situations as possible. The only one that may not be ready for that yet is the Nuge.. and well, maybe they shelter him a bit at first.

Racki:

I just hope that whoever comes in gives this team some guts. We need a team toughness attitude, but using some of the guys we have for response needs to happen for us to get a little respect and room. I hope we add a nasty D man who can play. A guy like McQuaid would be welcome to me; That style anyway.

Yah, I think our top six plays quite well, it’s just those bottom six guys that need to wake the fuck up and realize they need to fight for their jobs. Maybe a new coach will motivate that out of them.