Monday Morning Standings – Round 1 Edition

By , April 10, 2012 8:27 am

Game of Thrones! Best show on TV!

Who?! What?! What is going on here?

Yeah yeah, it’s been a while but I’ve been super busy at work the past few weeks and the Oilers have really sucked.

So here we go. MMS on the last few weeks + playoff predictions.

Oilers News

Racki covered most of it in the past few posts regarding draft rankings, the Oilers year end press conference and the final depressing season rundown.

League News

Screw league news…it’s the playoffs!
Here are the first round match-ups with my predictions.
West
Los Angeles Kings(8) at Vancouver Canucks(1)
I want the Kings to win, however I think the Canucks won’t choke until the 2nd round. Canucks in 5.
San Jose Sharks(7) at St. Louis Blues(2)
Blues take this in 6.
Chicago Blackhawks(6) at Phoenix Coyotes(3)
I’ve grown to like the Coyotes. I’ll be cheering for them this playoff run, however I don’t think they will beat the Hawks. Hawks in 7.
Detroit Red Wings(5) at Nashville Predators(4)
Predators are another team I think will make some noise this post-season. Predators in 7.
East
Ottawa Senators(8) at New York Rangers(1)
I think this might be the Rangers year…my choice out of the East. Rangers in 6.
Washington Captials(7) at Boston Bruins(2)
Bruins in 5.
New Jersey Devils(6) at Florida Panthers(3)
Devils in 5.
Philadelphia Flyers(5) at Pittsburgh Penguins(4)
The first round series I think everyone is looking forward to. Will be the best series as well. Both top-notch teams. Flyers in 7. Edit (2012-04-10 12:03pm): Nevermind, I guess Bryzgalov and Briere are hurt…I’ll go with the Pens in 7.

Question of the Week

Make your playoff predictions in the comments.

Fight of the Week

Final Standings: Just for posterity sake.

Conference

West

East

League

Pools

Congrats to Zackman35 for winning the Yahoo pool, and congrats to Ktown who ran away with the Keeper pool.

Keeper

Yahoo

Oil Kings/WHL Playoffs

Playoff hockey is awesome.
At the end of the season, the Oil Kings had finished first in the league with 107 points. Michael St. Croix finished 8th in league scoring (first on the team) with 105 points in 72 games (45 goals). Laurent Brossoit finished 2nd in goaltending.

Reinhart will be good. He’s currently the #3 guy on a team behind Pysyk and Lowe (youngest D man too I believe). He gets 2nd PP time, as well as 2nd PK time. Pysyk is the best D man out there quite often, although Gernat has been getting my attention every now and then.
As for forwards, Kristians Pelss has had a great playoffs as has Curtis Lazar (LAZAR!!!!!).

I highly highly recommend to get out and catch a game if you can. Great stuff (and looks as though it may be a quick series, with a possible 3rd round match-up against either Moose Jaw or Medicine Hat).

OKC Barons

Barons have clinched their division and sit tied for first in the conference with 95 points in 73 games (2nd in the league). No Baron is in the top 40 of scoring, and Keller leads the team in scoring (finished 48th in league scoring) with 49 points in 71 games (21 goals). Danis currently sits 3rd in league goaltending (and was named a first team all star).

18 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – Round 1 Edition”

1. oilinblood says:

i like halls comments. makes me wonder if he is also putting himself and jordan in the same place as fans. i wouldnt doubt it. eventually losing gets old…they better start to win.

i think now is a good time to tell horc to retire. he takes draws and blah blah blah. ive supported him alot but he is weak, slow and a pansy. im sure he can bench press alot but he gets beat off pucks as easy as gagner. need to cut dead weight and get those positions upgraded. belanger can stay. lander was good. klefbom will turn heads. arnott would have been better than belanger…but w/e – like who didnt know that.

no time to sit around and wait. bye to peckham, barker, and smyth OR jones.

OIB: Disagree on Horcoff. The problem is that he’s still one of few guys who can be relied upon here for the ugly, gritty shifts. I think as a 3rd line center, he’s fine by me. Would I upgrade him though if possible? Definitely. But I think he can provide decent offense when given opportunity to. But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that he gets some of the shittiest shifts imaginable. Of our regular players, him and Belanger get the shittiest zone starts. He also faces the toughest competition. He isn’t getting the cherry minutes in any way whatsoever.

I don’t think his contract is any good, but that is neither here nor there. And if there is an “amnesty” clause in the next CBA, I’d use it on Horc, for sure, but still keep him here, at a reasonable contract. I think too many people base their opinion on him by his bang for buck, which isn’t good. But he is pretty useful to the team when you look outside of that.

My Predictions:
    Kings at Canucks – Canucks in 4
    Sharks at Blues – Blues in 5
    Blackhawks at Coyotes – Coyotes in 7
    Red Wings at Predators – Red Wings in 7

Senators at Rangers – Senators in 6
    Capitals at Bruins – Bruins in 5
    Devils at Panthers – Devils in 7
    Flyers at Penguins – Penguins in 7

4. NorwegianOiler says:

The Noooge joins Eberle at Worlds.

5. NorwegianOiler says:

Rangers in 5
    Bruins in 6
    Devils in 6
    Penguins in 7

Canucks in 6
    Blues in 5
    Blackhawks in 6
    Wings in 7

Nuge (CAN), Eberle (CAN), Dubnyk (CAN) and Hemsky (CZE) are all going to the World Hockey Championships (Aka the Loser Bowl)

Oilers twitter indicates that Dubnyk also invited and accepted.

8. oilinblood says:

@Rack. i think you know me as a big horc supporter in the past. I am not so much anymore and one major ssue i will never sway on is worry about his cap hit. I dont give an iota of thought onto what they pay him or his cap hit. That is their problem and doesnt affect the team right now. However i see a guy who hits the gym alot but cant be any stronger on the puck then gagner. I see a guy who has a ho hum loser attitude. I see a guy who doesnt fight even thoyught his hands are worth shat. I also, ill give this to him, see a guy who has calmed clubs with his leadership but i doubt can ever inspire them. MOST OF ALL I SEE A GUY THAT I DONT WANT TO HOLD A LANDER BACK FOR. Belanger or him has to go.

go oilers.

Nail RNH Eberle —FFS i jizzed my pants
    Hall Gagner Hemsky— meh its alright good 2nd
    Paajarvii Lander Omark/?/?/? —4th line on a contender
    smyth Belanger/horcoff jones

i see a big future for anton and magnus so i hope we stick with them.

Lander hasn’t proven anything yet, IMHO. I’m all fine with improving on players, and have no issues moving the non key components. But Lander isn’t NHL ready unless his stint in OKC has made him a much better NHLer now. I’d guess not though and think he’ll probably still need time. Lander also doesn’t fight, and his hands didn’t do much while here either, so I think I’ll stick with what I know until Lander is a better player (and I 100% believe one day he’ll be a really good bottom six centerman for us one day).

OIB: I can definitely get behind signing Suter rather than trading the pick, but don’t underestimate taking a “potential” asset and turning it into a guaranteed asset.

Obviously trading for a UFA isn’t a smart idea, but I still believe Shea Weber is an elite level, 2-way defenseman with a physical element. Brings it all. We are stacked at forward, so I see it as basically getting a d-man well plenty of good hockey left at the cost of a skill forward with potential, something we have covered well.

But I would definitely agree that the better option would be to take Yakupov and sign Suter, if that can happen. But since Tambi is often left with his dick in his hands at free agency, I would also be happy with landing a more sure bet.

Either option is good, imho.

11. hemmerlady says:

here are my predictions: (note: as submitted in my dad’s office pool this morning, and I’m not changing them despite my reservations about the Preds win tonight)

Kings / Canucks – Canucks in 6
    Sharks / Blues – Blues in 5
    Blackhawks / Coyotes – Hawks in 6
    Red Wings / Predators – Wings in 7

Senators / Rangers – Sens in 7
    Capitals / Bruins – Bruins in 5
    Devils / Panthers – Florida in 6
    Flyers / Penguins – Penguins in 7

I went back and forth about Wings/Preds; Yotes/Hawks and Sens/NYR.

p.s. That Briere goal was offside by a mile! Boooo-urns

pps Zack did you find a playoff pool? Last year’s wasn’t so fun, but that may be because you beat me to a pulp. :)

That first night went unbelievably well (can I switch my prediction back to the Flyers?).

All 3 teams I wanted to win did.

Also, props to the Oil Kings for sweeping the Brandon Wheat Kings in the second round. 18 wins in a row.

3rd round starts on the 20th against Moose Jaw.

Oil Kings are a fierece team. Looking forward to watching round 3!

Morgan Rielly plays for the Warriors, as well as Jordan Eberle’s cousin (I believe??), Tanner. I’d like to scout out this Rielly character a bit, since he’s one of the top ranked D-men in the draft.

Also, last nights games.. what a beaut.. exactly what I hoped for.

I’ll throw another idea out there as far as this draft pick business.

Still draft Yakupov….. and then throw a nice package Columbus’ way for #2.

I know that it’s rare a team will just give away a high pick like that without a good one in return, but maybe we could bundle some decent players and get this Murray fellow as well? Just a thought.

We’d have Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Murray, Yakupov, all within a few years of each other. Again, just a random thought. Pardon of me also wonders if we should be waiting a bit for Marincin, Klefbom, Gernat, etc., etc.. I think that’s the route Tambo will probably take.

16. hemmerlady says:

hemmerlady:

Kings / Canucks – Canucks in 6
    Sharks / Blues – Blues in 5
    Blackhawks / Coyotes – Hawks in 6
    Red Wings / Predators – Wings in 7

Senators / Rangers – Sens in 7
    Capitals / Bruins – Bruins in 5
    Devils / Panthers – Florida in 6
    Flyers / Penguins – Penguins in 7

I went back and forth about Wings/Preds; Yotes/Hawks and Sens/NYR.

epic fail. 1/8 is my worst 1st round showing yet.

17. Connor says: