And the winner of the 2012 NHL draft lottery is…

By , April 10, 2012 6:19 pm
And the winner is...

And the winner is...

The winner of the 2012 NHL draft lottery is: THE EDMONTON OILERS

Here is the top 5 draft order:

1. Edmonton Oilers
2. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Montreal Canadiens
4. New York Islanders
5. Toronto Maple Leafs

For the record, the word is that Nail Yakupov is the consensus number one. Word is that this draft is much weaker than previous drafts.

Here is the top 10 draft order that Bob McKenzie determined from his scout survey:

1. Nail Yakupov
2. Mikhail Grigorenko
3. Ryan Murray
4. Filip forsberg
5. Matt Dumba
6. Alex Galchenyuk
7. Jacob Trouba
8. Griffin Reinhart
9. Morgan Rielly
10. Radek Faksa
10. Teuvo Teravainen

26 Responses to “And the winner of the 2012 NHL draft lottery is…”

Holy shit, I wish I could have seen ST straight face reaction on this one. It’s hard to believe but this definitely makes things very interesting… What do they do now?

2. Mr.Majestyk says:

haha, Scott Howson must be fuming. I think you have to take the concensus number 1 or drop down in the draft for immediate help. I would not let Yakopov drop to 2nd.

One of two things:
    1) Draft Nail Yakupov.
    2) Trade the pick for a bonafide big minute, two-way D.

But really, there is no one to draft beside Nail. The rest of the guys just aren’t as good.

4. hemmerlady says:

I was praying with all my might for the hockey gods to cut us a break for once…excellent. Excellent.

Mr. M: totally agree. There is no one else to draft at #1.

Also, the Jackets have dropped in draft order 5 times in their 12-time lotto history. Wow.. sucks to be them.

Cue the #1 Overall to the Laughs for Jake Gardiner proposals.

This gives us so much more leverage and opens up so many options. I don’t even know where to begin.

http://media.greenradio.topscms.com/images/ab/7a/25b10c52418c8118f8ee3ea97524.jpeg <- This picture makes me lol.

Yakupov doesn't seem like an "Oilers" pick but he's a hell of a young player. Russian piss-cutter-Hall-jr. I can seriously see them moving this pick. I'm honestly baffled, what an embarrassment of riches for Edmonton.

Depth Chart:
    #1 Hemsky? – RNH – Eberle
    #2 LW/MPS? – Hall – Yakupov

He could fit in here I suppose but definitively not the typical Oilers pick, it should be an interesting couple of months!

Well, I think Yakupov would be a hell of an addition. It’s hard to look past the showmanship and such of Yakupov, and the typical Russian image. But I think if that can be reeled in, we look CRAZY good up front. Crazy good.

The only problem is of course that we’ve got 3 natural RWers. But I’d say push Hemsky to line 3 with his old Smyth/Horcoff linemates.

Hall Gagner Yakupov
    Anyone RNH Eberle
    Smyth Horcoff Hemsky

Something like that..

Hemsky doesn`t like the left side, so I wouldn`t expect that to happen.

HF Boards is going to explode with #1 pick trade proposals now! Cue the conspiracy theorists as well.

Wow, 3 years running, not sure if we should laugh or cry. Should be interesting, I’m thinking it gets traded if there’s a top-4 reliable young but NHL experienced in his prime d-man available.

LateNightOilFan:
    HF Boards is going to explode with #1 pick trade proposals now!Cue the conspiracy theorists as well.

Wow, 3 years running, not sure if we should laugh or cry.Should be interesting, I’m thinking it gets traded if there’s a top-4 reliable young but NHL experienced in his prime d-man available.

Well, Shea Weber seems the most obvious. Not that our #1 necessarily gets it done. Just saying he’s currently set to be an RFA. Nashville could use a young superstar for a few years… both teams should be happy with a deal.

And well, quite frankly, even giving up a usable player along with the #1, I’d sure be tickled landing Weber… IF he signs. We’d have to pre-negotiate that, if possible.

Just one scenario.

Racki:

Hall Gagner Yakupov
    Anyone RNH Eberle
    Smyth Horcoff Hemsky

Something like that..

Hemsky doesn`t like the left side, so I wouldn`t expect that to happen.

Oh man, can you imagine that third line? 10mil easy between Horc and Hemmer! It’s so tough to say what could happen. Personally, I would have been thrilled if there was another high caliber center with elite potential but Yakupov could be a very nice consolation prize. I wonder if it would be possible to somehow pry Suter or Weber away from Nashville if they don’t want to stay. Trade #1OV for a “signed” ~5years top d-man + maybe a prospect?

It’s too tough to say right now, the Oilers were very lucky on this one.

EDIT: I think I edited your post by accident Racki, I just added my comment to it but fixed it now.

11. Ktown says:

Call me a hockey bigot, but the flashy Russian types really don’t seem like a good fit in Edmonton. As good as he is, I couldn’t fathom Ovechkin ever donning Oilers colors, and I think Yakupov is cut from the same cloth. He’s the RFA 3rd yr pro that demands a trade out if I’m given a guess.

That said, I was thinking about the Shea Weber possibilities too. The #1 pick to trade makes that more palatable to Nashville, I think.

But BIG case of signing then the trade. Make sure he’s willing to come here – which I put at 50/50. Sure, the Oil look like the exciting team to watch for, but does Weber want to be a part of that after all his time in Nashville?

Interesting month and a half coming up.

I’ll just say it’s a pipe dream on my part, this Weber talk. But humoring it being a possibility (I feel like a Leafs fan here), I’d say he pulls us out of the ruins. He should be able to see that his type of player is exactly what our team needs.

Only other pressing need to cross off the list is to pick up a decent starter (Sorry, I just don’t think Doobie or Khabi cut it..). Then let the fun begin.

Again, humoring it.. here’s a thought:

our 1st and Ryan Whitney for Nashvilles 1st and Weber

Hall Gagner Hemsky
    Harsky(?) Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
    Who cares about line 3/4…

Smid Weber
    Schultz Petry
    Sutton/Peckham Potter

Harding
    Dubnyk

Just throwing another pipe dream out there.. between the pipes. Pardon my lame pun. But that would be another ideal pick up.

This D group would also allow us to patiently rotate in guys like Teubert, Marincin, Gernat, Klefbom, etc. etc. Could even play Smid and Petry together and throw anyone that can handle high minutes with Weber.

Would Whitney + our 1st for their first and Weber make it happen? Again, I feel like a Leafs fan, dreaming.

I too instantly had thoughts of a Weber trade scenario the moment i saw we won the lottery…one thing I can’t decide upon is if the whole Radulov debacle makes Nashville extremely gun shy to want to pick another Russian with a high pick, or if it works in our favor with Nashville thinking having Yakupov will entice Radulov to stay.

Good point, I’d have to figure they’re more gunshy about losing another Russian for nothing than they would be excited about picking up someone that will entice Radulov to stay.

If anything, it just expedites the trading of Omark and possibly Hemksy later in the year. Gagner could be in play more than before too being a small forward like Nail. Gagner should get you another Shultz type D man. Omark and Hemsky could get you Gardiner and a pick I might think.

We still need to push hard for Harding I think. Someone on OMB mentioned Khabbi is the logical roommate for Nail. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Also mentioned and highly speculated in the Oilogosphere is the possibility of signing the impending UFA D man Shultz. Have to think he wants to be on a winner or an exciting team. Fun times ahead!

16. dawgtoy says:

How about draft Yakupov then grab his Sarnia team mate Galchenyuk. C 6’02 205?

chucker:
    We still need to push hard for Harding I think.Someone on OMB mentioned Khabbi is the logical roommate for Nail.Not sure if that is good or bad.

dawgtoy:
    How about draft Yakupov then grab his Sarnia team mate Galchenyuk. C 6’02 205?

I will say that I like Galchenyuk as much as anyone else in the draft outside of Yakupov. But at the same time, I kind of think we are going to completely ruin the chance of some quality players busting into our line up (Ex. Paajarvi) if we do that. Just my 2 cents there.

18. oilinblood says:

i hate you guys. you dont get 1st over all to trade it. you trade your 1st round in 2013 at the high value people will give it right now.
    draft yakupov.
    tell suter you have a blank check with his name on it . tell him…”say the number for the next two years and we will give you 5m the following 4″. in the next cba supposedly cap number wont be the average hit anymore.

tell suter you have a line up of

hall gagner yakupov
    Paajarvii RNH Eberle
    Smyth Lander Hemsky/Omark
    Jones Belanger/horcoff Eager

Whitney, Petry, Smid, Sutton, and guys like Klefbom and Marincin wiating.

Suter wants money and he wants to win in the next 3 year. Check Check.

I am sorry but Suter has to take notice of that. Free aquisition.

right now, if i am ST and Stu has agreed with the 100 scouts that picked Nail as the miles ahead prospect, i am trying to shop hemsky and my 2013 1st for an elite goalie prospect. Also IMHO klefbom is the real deal.

19. oilinblood says:

Racki: First off, I think it’s an odd suggestion just based on the fact that Khabibulin is 110, and Nail is what.. 17 or 18? So, yah, I don’t see it being a great idea for that reason. Outside of that though, I think Khabibulin is a good team guy though. Yah, the whole drunk driving thing.. and the fact he sucks in net… I get that. But word is that he’s really liked by his teammates, so I think it pretty much is a non-issue. But yah, I think it’s a silly idea too, just based on age difference.

Louie Debrusk was saying Khabi came in as fit as a fiddle to camp, ripped. Probably the jail house gym workout but …

Here is a question that SHOULD be the hottest topic of discussion but isnt because its not obvious… WHAT IS THE VALUE NOW OF OUR TOP PICK IN 2013? We have finished bottom 2 – 3 straight years. We still have a young team and will be drafting another 17 year old. Eberle got over 30, hall nearly 30, a rookie centre nearly a ppg yet we finished 29th. We go into the 12 draft with Dubs and Khabi as our #1s. Look at our defence (before july 1st when suter will hit the block). How much is that pick worth right now, as our roster stands today, when we finished 29th with a top 5 pp, hemsky locked up for 2 years at 5 mill, horc locked up for 20 at 5.5, and the same AHL defence. ?????
    All those pieces can change 48 hours after july 1st but yeah. BIG VALUE. Tim Thomas value? Peter likes 1st round picks. More bruins will be looking for raises this summer and next. We need a guy for 2 years premium likely. Cupboards have alot of pieces –boston would be looking for depth. Jones could be had now, eager… prospect. Hemsky? easily gone. Wait… no one will take him at 5m. theres your 3rd line rw until UFA. Brilliant move Tambi. Is Pavel bure gonna get shafted for a rw yashin 2.0?
    you dont have to look foolish and spit on a heavily favored top pick, in order to aquire what you need. you just need to sell the vision. this team is so close. even with anchors attached, this team is gonna fly next year if the GM gets off his ass.

–as for people insinuating nail wouldnt like edmonton? i Would believe his reaction of Edmonton getting #1over Columbus was —thank F%^&( GOD!.

20. oilinblood says:

dawgtoy:
    How about draft Yakupov then grab his Sarnia team mate Galchenyuk. C 6’02 205?

maybe 2013 1st round plus Gagner to toronto for 5th overall (Gal) and their top pick in 2013?

do it in front of cameras… have Lowe corner Burke and say…”hey burkie i heard you dis us again in your press conference where you said a 5 year plan is a cop out and for lazy managers. i say we finish higher than you next year. ill trade you my first next year and gagner for your 5th this year and 1st next year?” what do you say? (this is actually what was going thru my head when we won the draft lotto. if i had been ST i would have done it right there live… a swap of next years firsts… what do you say there Burkie?He wouldnt do it obviously but in not doing it it makes him look bad. lmao.

My opinion is that that 13 pick gets used for a short term elite goalie or a top end goalie prospect though.Which one depends on our evaluation of Dubs.

I have no clue what Yakupovs Personality iss like and if he will click with the other top prospects. I do feel that even if he has rough edges his elite talent is worth taking him and seeing how it works. He will still maintain high value as a asset if it doesnt work because he has done it all on the NA ice already. there are no question marks for his game in NA. Proven and ready.

Unfreakin-believable

DARE I S AY THAT EDMONTON JUST BECAME THE MOST EXCITING TEAM TO WATCH IN THE NHL SINCE… THE OILERS OF 85. JAW DROPPING.

21. Alan-NottsUK says:

I laughed when I saw this on twitter, still laughing now.

but does this mean we have a 2/3 of our 3rd line now eating 10.5m in cap? or will one of Eberle, Hemsky or Yakupov switch to LW?

I think you’re looking at 2/3s of our 3rd line eating up big salary, yes.

I’m not sure if Yakupov plays the other side, but I know Hemsky won’t, save for on the PP. As far as Eberle, I say don’t mess with a good thing.

I think if we think in pairs, we’ll have 2 fantastic lines.

Yakupov had tremendous success with a shooter in Galchenyuk.. so perhaps Hall and Yakupov together. We already know Nuge and Eberle are golden. Only question is the 3rd player to round them out….

So a thought would be:
    Hartikainen Nugent-Hopkins Eberle (I think Harsky looked really good with them)
    Hall Gagner Yakupov (still banging the Gagner drum, although I do grow impatient in waiting for him to break out)

Our 3rd line would still be the big expensive line, yes.

Smyth Horcoff Hemsky

And our 4th line would be:
    Eager Belanger Jones

23. oilinblood says:

@Rack – There were/are some questions regarding Nail for post-season ability and passion. I missed 4 of the 6 games and i dont see a lack of determination… what i saw was a guy who was feeling his way thru his first post season in canadian hockey. It reminded me alot of seguin. Seguin and Nail both were on so/so teams. Nails Sting are actually less rounded than Seguins Whalers were. At the Hall draft i said that Seguins Whalers losing shouldnt reflect on Tyler and i say the same about Nail. What should be observed is he still got 5 pts in 6 games while visibly trying to feel out playoff hockey and stick to a new game plan implemented for the series.

As for assets to trade. If the line-up next year still has hemmer horc and smyth back and as a line, we draft yakupov, and Harti (who i agree looked good there) gets top 6 ice than Magnus and Omarks days are numbered. I really dont want it to be a situation of Nail or Magnus but Nail is built like Kovalenko, hands like bure, and fire like ovechkin, and a shot like stamkos. I think Magnus loses this battle but i am hoping remodeling Magnus is an option –like Patrice Bergeron. If not, he is likely the most valuable asset, and realistic asset, you can move without hurting the roster.

I know one analyst backed me up yesterday in saying Klefbom Musil and Marincin, in particular those 3, are B level prospects who are legitimate NHL players in the near future. Unfortunately it was Button… but still. Luckily all talk about Suter is saying he is definitely going to UFA for at least 48 hours. He wants big cash, check, and a chance at immortality, check. Potter, Sutton, Barker, Peckham, even whitney all have nice sized contracts that make alot of sense for what they bring. All would be assets that wouldnt get laughed at (hemsky at 5 gets you laughed at) and might help the right team in a trade.

BTW Nail is Left handed and can play either wing.

I will point out once more, and basically echo the sentiments of Hall (who wasnt hiding his distaste) and Eberle AND the normally quiet RNH, That this team better win next year. The organization has to show it believes in winning next season. I do believe we will draft Nail. I also believe that to show Eberle Hall and RNH that we mean business…our top pick in 13 will be traded. Its a statement move that needs to be done and it is, i believe, a strong asset that could get us a big reward. Personally i think we have a big shot at Suter with this line up. Goaltending is what id want that ’13 1stRd used for. Thomas for 2 years would be nice and if done before JUly 1st really helps advertise us to Suter. I wont knock Khabi for this season… but if Khabi is still here its not good advertising.

BTW i agree with most of the tsn panel that the oilers arent in need of Defense prospects. They need a guy like Schultz who is young, capable, and polished… but more elite. Having another prospect to take 3 years learning is not our priority. winning a cup in 2 years should be.

24. oilinblood says:

Tambis smug smile in the background… adds salt to the wound. lmao

25. Alan-NottsUK says:

Judging by interviews and team mate/coach comments, he seems to have a Crosby like drive to improve.

So Ovechkin/Bure style of play with Crosby’s drive to improve.

oib: agree with most of that. I actually do want to draft Yakupov, now that we’re in the place we are. But it’s not the ONLY option, for me. But if we’re moving that pick, it’s for a very special player, imho. Weber can be argued as one of the top d-men in the NHL easily. So I stand by the thoughts that it would be a good move for us, as it guarantees we get a very good player rather than hoping on it (but I’m equally fine hanging on to #1 and drafting Yakupov cause I think we also have some quality d in our system).

But one thing I’ll also say about Yakupov’s playoff game… often people forget that players can be playing through injuries at that time of the year.. be over-tired from getting tonnes of minutes, etc. etc, so who knows. I don’t put too much stock in that kind of stuff cause everyone has shit on Euros for not being playoff performers for years and years, and the odd time those players they shit on surprise the hell out of them later. Sedins are a good example of this. Maybe Marian Hossa too, as he has had his ups and downs and always gets called a non-playoff performer but had a huge year with the Pens. You get the picture, anyways. It’s probably a little exaggerated, as he seems like pretty hungry for wins.

Also, btw, his answer to the “who’s better, you or Grigorenko” question was very un-Ovechkin like. Modest. Basically said that Grigo is a very good player and they’re different, and wouldn’t say who he thought was better.

Russians will always get a bad image. But I am not worried about Yakupov. The one other Ovechkin-like thing about him was what Yaku’s captain said about the switch being thrown when he steps on the ice (he becomes a completely different player). Obviously he’s incredibly focused. This is a big plus for his captain to say about him.