Oilers 1, Panthers 2 (SO) – Game 75 – 2012-03-23 @ 5:30 PM MST – SNETW

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers
logo AT logo
29-36-9 Record 36-24-13
Location: BankAtlantic Center
Date: March 23, 2012 @ 5:30PM MST
TV: SNETW

Above is a pic from the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. The guy on the left is Erik Gudbransson of the Florida Panthers. The Oilers would probably love a Gudbransson in their line up right now. Hell, they’d even love a Taylor Hall in their line up right now. But, they will get a Theo Peckham in their line up, courtesy of an Andy Sutton healthy scratch. This paragraph sounds very Gene Principe-esque. Anyways, I think they’ve got to really play a guy like him down the stretch so they can decide whether he’s going to be part of their long term future or not. With all the talk about improving our back end, some players have to go out for new ones to come in. So Teddy could be an option.

Devan Dubnyk also draws in tonight, expectedly since this is a back-to-back.

The buzz today in the Oilogosphere is over some interview Linus Omark had. Read more here. I can’t see how the Oilers would want to hang on to Omark after those comments. I do wonder though if he’s just a guy that has no clue how to say the right things, or if he really just marches to the beat of his own drummer. Either way, I’m thinking he’ll likely be moved before July.

As for the actual game, I’ll be watching this one on the PVR (if it is deemed worthy) as tonight also happens to be the first playoff game for the Oil Kings. Tickets for these games are DIRT CHEAP, and it’s arguably the best hockey you’ll see in Rexall this year. Steve-O, Trogdor and I will be rooting the home team on at this one tonight. I’m pretty stoked, to be honest.

Enjoy the game, folks!

OILERS LINES (projected)

Jones – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Hartikainen – Gagner – Hemsky
Smyth – Horcoff – Omark
Eager – Belanger – Hordichuk

Smid – Petry
Whitney – Schultz
Peckham – Potter

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

7 Responses to “Oilers 1, Panthers 2 (SO) – Game 75 – 2012-03-23 @ 5:30 PM MST – SNETW”

Meh, don’t really see an issue with a guy wanting to play for his country rather than the minor league team.

I have a feeling that if it was a Canadian, and not in the Oilers system we wouldn’t have a problem with it.

I’m not so sure about that. I mean, I get the importance of his country, so I’m not too choked up about it, I suppose. But I’d still be pretty ticked if a Canadian said he’d rather player where happier than win with OKC. It’s not like this is the first time he’s mentioned he doesn’t want to play in OKC. The media might be making it a hot button subject just cause they can, I don’t know. But he is making himself come off like it’s a “do what’s best for Linus” kind of guy as opposed to a team guy. I can only buy so much of the language barrier stuff.

I would be willing to bet that Magnus Paajarvi will choose to stay in Oklahoma City on his own. If he doesn’t, I’ll take the comment back. However, he’s a smart guy that knows what to say/do and puts the team first, so I can’t see him doing that.

I forgot to see if the Oil Kings started tonight, maybe I’ll catch Sunday’s game.

4. Alan-NottsUK says:

Steve-O:

If it was a Canadian then they’ve been playing on smaller ice, and been facing a more physical game their entire life.

Omark says how much he wants to be in the NHL, but he hasn’t proven enough to hold down a place, playing in the AHL playoffs helps him continue to adjust to the NA ice and physicality.

Either he wants to play in the NHL, or he wants to go back to Europe or Russia. If he goes to the Worlds then I think that he’s done with the NHL, his attitude has already raised questions, refusing to play for the farm team play offs would be the final nail in his NHL career’s coffin.

He can’t crack the roster of the 2nd worst team in the league, and he has an entitlement issue.

I hope he gets more time with Horcoff and Smyth, because they’re covering his ass on defence and he gets two players that will go to the net for garbage and open up space for him. It will be the best chance to evaluate him for the rest of the year.

Steve-O:

Totally agree..I actually find his honesty refreshing..and to me I don’t blame him. The kids not stupid, and he does have options, and IMHO, the Oilers have utilized him very shittily, although the timing of his injury really hindered any chances he had this year to show any impact he may have had.

I personally believe Omark has the skill to be a very good NHL player…I cringe to think about losing him for next to nothing, but I can hobestly see him turning into a Martin St. Louis type player…maybe not quite as productive but definitely worth alot more than what we’re going to get for him.

Anyways, I digress…the calibre of hockey at the worlds should be just as high as the AHL playoffs and if he prefers to represent his country where he is hero worshipped than I can’t blame him. Big deal.

6. dawgtoy says:

I agree somewhat. The World Championships are split between Stockholm and Helsinki, so he’d be playing on home soil. Can see how that would be his enticement to play. He strikes me as the type of player that wants to be in the NHL, but thinks it should be served on a silver platter. Whereas Pääjärvi wants to play in the NHL and will do whatever it takes to be in the NHL. His statement about wanting be an Oiler but knowing that the AHL playoffs could be a tremendous learning opportunity vs the worlds is commendable. The intensity level of the AHL playoffs on the smaller surface is exactly what the doctor ordered in terms of development IMO. It’s what Detroit would do!

7. john says:

Linus Omark = Robert Nilsson IMHO. We could live without him in the end.