Oilers 3, Flames 1 – Game 71 – 2012-03-16 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW

GDT - Battle Of Alberta - Edmonton Oilers vs Calgary Flames
logo vs. logo
27-36-7 Record 34-25-12
Location: Rexall Place
Date: March 16, 2012 @ 7:30PM MST
TV: SNETW

OK, so we finally lived up to our end of the Battle of Alberta for the last match up with Calgary, and Calgary no-showed. Leaves me curious as to which team will no-show tonight… or will we finally have a real Battle of Alberta?

Teemu Hartikainen will draw in tongiht, taking Linus Omark out of the lineup. Ben Eager skated today, but he isn’t ready to go yet… maybe Sunday he will play.

Doobie gets the start, after a shutout in his last game. According to Oilers Nation, “Flames people” (I presume that means media and/or fans) are predicting a start by Leland Irving in net for the Flames. That probably doesn’t bode well for us, as I always have thought that we stink it up against the “back ups”. But hey, who knows.

OILERS LINES (projected)

Jones – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Hall – Gagner – Hemsky
Smyth – Horcoff – Hartikainen
Hordichuk – Belanger – Petrell

Smid – Petry
Whitney – Schultz
Peckham – Potter

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

9 Responses to “Oilers 3, Flames 1 – Game 71 – 2012-03-16 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW”

1. G&S says:

Wow, we get to play a Flames team that played the night before while our players had the luxury to go out for Ribs on an off day!!! I know what Flames fans will be bitching about after we crush em tonight :)

2. dawgtoy says:

How sweet it is to win our one and only playoff game of the season.

You be the judge:

Charging? Possibly.

But I don’t think there will be a suspension.

4. hemmerlady says:

the beatdown…love it. I love that we’re throwing a wrench into the Flamers’ sad playoff hopes. Keep on middlin’, cowtown.

Did I read that hemmer fought somebody? and I missed that?? Question though, was there no one else on the ice to take out the trash?

didn’t see the game, as I just saw George Stroumboulopoulos live at UBC – not relevant to Oil-related matters, but it was effing awesome. I think the greatest thing I’ve seen live (note: was out of the country during ’06 cup run, so don’t judge me)

edit: oh FFS, Hall has a concussion? …man

5. OilBaron says:

Perhaps a blind side hit? They are at a 90 degree angle to each other the whole way. But, Shanahan isn’t likley to suspend him. The Oilers need to learn to take an eye for an eye and they won’t have to worry about fair or not.

HL: Hemmer didn’t really “fight” someone. He got annoyed and had his gloves on near the bench and they roughed each other up a bit. Nothing major at all. It was good to see him get angry though. He also hacked Giordano (?) in the back of the leg on one play too. Was a little pissed off.

OilBaron: agree on eye-for-an-eye. I was suggesting the same thing in the GDT chat. *Sean Connery Voice* “He pulls a knife… you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital.. you send one of his to the morge!”

7. NorwegianOiler says:

Didn’t think too much of Sarich’s ‘hit’ when it happened, but seeing the replays I must say that it was merely an unfortunate situation rather than malice. Hall, for all his wonderful ability, has a knack for falling over (he always skates on the very last edge of his skates, it seems). I can’t see how Sarich could have done much with that situation, he had lined up the hit (as he does) and Hall falls at the last second. Sarich just attempts to get contact, but ends up knocking Hall in the head when Hall goes down. It happens.

8. dawgtoy says:

Agree 100% N.O. Hall took a clean hard hit when he was in a very vulnerable and somewhat unlucky position. It doesn’t deserve review, suspension, nor retribution. Hall is a man playing a man’s game. That is how he plays. Remember the criticism during the Taylor vs Tyler debate. He puts himself in dangerous places on the ice and has a propensity for having his head down. I love watching him dangle on ice, but he has to realize the danger of playing on that edge. Still smiling about the win last night, and that was the greatest revenge IMO.

Yah, I don’t really think of it as a dirty hit. However, being the barbarian/thug I am… the hit DOES deserve retribution. Whitney did stand up for him though, and Peckham tried to get Sarich to go, however.. so the Oil did at least not just let it go.

BTW… the whole “retribution/no retribution for clean hits” has been done to death, so not looking to argue that. Standing up for your teammates even after what would be deemed a “clean hit” has always been something I can get behind and always will. When your teammate gets hit hard to the point of being hurt, well, you don’t just stand around (which again, the Oilers didn’t do.. so no problems there).

I also wanted to note too that Sarich had a very similar opportunity to lay another Oiler out.. almost the exact same play (except whoever it was didn’t go sliding). He laid up. Take that however you will. I’m not really sure what to make of that, myself… just found it interesting.