Oilers 2, Sharks 3 – Game 69 – 2012-03-12 @ 7:30 PM MST – TSN

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. San Jose Sharks
logo vs. logo
26-35-7 Record 33-25-9
Location: Rexall Place
Date: March 12, 2012 @ 7:30PM MST
TV: TSN

Hello folks. Tonight the Oilers face the Sharks again. The last meeting, a week ago, went well with the Oilers picking up the 3-2 win in the shootout.

Dubnyk will get the start for this one, and Ben Eager is in for Darcy Hordichuk. Cam Barker and Theo Peckham are also scratches. To quote Steve-O, “so they are planning on winning this one?”

I think if we picked up a GOOD goaltender (perhaps Harding can do it?) in the off-season, and a few better bottom six guys, this team will look a lot better. Another solid d-man would be nice too. But this line up is looking a little closer to an NHL line up. It still has issues though, so don’t worry, I’m not too clueless. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oil pulled off a win tonight.

OILERS LINES (projected)

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Omark-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Petrell
Eager-Belanger-Jones

Smid-Petry
Sutton-Potter
Whitney-Schultz

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

10 Responses to “Oilers 2, Sharks 3 – Game 69 – 2012-03-12 @ 7:30 PM MST – TSN”

I remember a few months ago the Oilers played a home game against Carolina. I remember saying to my self “if they lose this one we will be in the race for another top five pick”, what a debacle of a game it was.

The bright spots this season overwhelm most of the negatives in my opinion, and I’m really warming up to the idea of drafting one of the Russian centers. Try and acquire a top pairing d-man and this team is starting to look pretty scary.

Goaltending is an issue but I’m not sure too much can be done/will be done.

I honestly do not look forward to another high pick at all.

As much as I want to draft the all-star team here, I think there’s a point where you have to call it quits. When we have a top line already made up of draftees, I don’t see why we’d want to keep drafting top picks. Don’t get me wrong, they obviously are great players, but how many #1 picks can you give ice time to? How many can you afford to keep? We’re going to make ourselves so top heavy that we can’t afford a good back end unless they move a top forward.

I’d be content with calling it quits on the forward acquisitions (aside from stockpiling prospects the normal way). But really, if we’re getting the #1 or #2 pick overall this year (which we should), maybe we could move that as a major piece to getting ourselves a Shea Weber type of d-man to complement these crazy good forwards we already have. That would be what I would do.

For every “Nail Yakupov” you bring in at this point, that’s a Nugent-Hopkins you just took ice time away from. If we didn’t already have Nuge, Eberle, Hall, and Gagner, I’d be more for it though.

3. G&S says:

Racki:
    I honestly do not look forward to another high pick at all.

Ive got to agree with you there. They say never draft by need and always go for the BPA but we have done that for the last 2 drafts and at some point we have to address the D. I don’t care if we get the 1st overall pick. We need to turn that pick into a Dmen no matter what. Now my first choice would be to trade it for an already established guy like Racki said and if that does not happen then we should go after the most NHL ready of Murray, Reinhart or Dumba, preferably by trading down if we select 1st or 2nd.

Racki:
    I honestly do not look forward to another high pick at all.

I’m not sure I agree with you here Racki. I don’t like witnessing a losing season for the Oilers but I will more likely than not look forward to a top three pick. I do agree with you that there is a point when we have to call it quits. That is, if our team consistently loses and drafting “higher” caliber players isn’t working out. However when you draft in the top two for three years in a row, there is a good chance that the draft pick will have a significant impact. There is a huge difference in pedigree drafting top two as opposed to top five and I think that’s the key here.

If that means drafting another potential first line center I’m all for it. It worked out pretty good for the Penguins ala Malkin, Crosby, Stall. Of course I’m not saying we’ll get that level of talent but if the potential is high for one of these centers this year, then I’d be all for acquiring another center that would compliment/compete with RNH for a one two punch. As we all know, talented 1st line centers don’t grow on trees.

I think the entry level contracts give us some breathing room with developing this top level talent. I know we have to comply for the cap but if a young player is that good I’m sure things will be done to accommodate the teams needs whether that be a trade, bury in the minors or buy out.

I do agree with you on defense, it’s an issue that should be addressed. If a defense is next on our list of BPA’s at the draft, when its our turn to call, then yes work on a deal bringing in that highly touted d-man, I’m all for it (especially due to the development rate of young d). If we do draft a center though, that may make a player like Ganger more expendable. He alone probably wouldn’t garnish enough value but in a package deal we may be able to work things out. I think that kind of touches on one of your original points though – drafting players that fight it out for ice time with existing players. If it makes our team better, I’m all for it even if that means trading away existing players.

Yes, Pittsburgh is a good example of having good centremen, but they also don’t have two high end wingers either (at least of the top-end potential that Hall/Eberle have). They do have Neal though, but that’s my thoughts there on that. Obviously we’d be extremely lucky if Nuge or even any of our players had the top end of Malkin or Crosby though, but I think we have a reliable one-two punch in Nuge and Gagner. They are both still very young and need the time and opportunity to show what they can do. Yah, it is always nice having competition, but I think the competition for those two could very well be each other.

I think we’re at the point where our forward centerpieces are there. I’d much sooner work on the glaring holes in the back-end or we’ll run the risk of not being able to afford to do that.

Just my 2 cents.

I think having a very reliable goalie and a very reliable d-man will go further than having another forward fighting for top line minutes.

6. dawgtoy says:

Steve McIntyre loses his mind.

We were talking about that in the GDT Dawg.

I can honestly say that if he did that while here in Edmonton, we all would have lost it if Tambo traded him> I would have loved to see that crazy side to him (Aside from it happening too late in the season.. in that Minny game). Would have loved to have seen that insane side from him.

BTW, on the note of the new game chat thing you recommended… I gave it a whirl. I haven’t given up on it yet, but i had some issues getting it working properly. It will come eventually though!

8. dawgtoy says:

I appreciate you trying Racki.

9. hemmerlady says:

I. Can’t. Handle. Losing. Any. More.

I’m in Racki’s corner about the draft discussion. We need to fix the major problems we have or we’re going to be f__ed. I think what Racki said makes sense for this year. We have lots of offense. Not that I would turn great offense away, but…we have bigger problems, so maybe we can make a smart trade with our pick.

Anyway, in related news, SNET says Yakupov is out for the rest of the season with UBI.

There’s only 3 games left in Sarnia’s regular season.. so that isn’t much of a big deal. He’ll be re-evaluated at the end of the season though and they’ll determine if he’s ready for playoff action.