Wayne Gretzky… Paul Coffey……. Sam Gagner…

By , February 2, 2012 10:18 pm
The three Oilers record holders

The three Oilers record holders

Sam Gagner made history tonight tying a record once held by two former Oiler greats Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey. Sam Gagner scored 4 goals and 4 assists tonight for an unreal 8 point performance. He even fittingly earned 1st, 2nd and 3rd star at Rexall… something I’ve never heard before. Fantastic friggen game.

You people who have come to the Foil have always known how much I liked Gagner and support him, but this is superhumanly good. Teams are going to be knocking down the door to trade for him, which is kind of unfortunate. I really never wanted to see him go, so I hope Steve Tambellini has the brains to hang on to him (save for a huge trade that brings us a glorious defenseman). However, you know that this will fuel the trade talk a little bit more… it’s just one game… but it’s also one hell of a game that we haven’t seen in more than 2 decades in any arena.

14 Responses to “Wayne Gretzky… Paul Coffey……. Sam Gagner…”

1. G&S says:

That was just downright insane!!! First player to get 8 in a game in 23 freaking years!!!

I think Patrick Kane just punched another cab driver.

Also, I was thinking before the game we should keep him. Still just 22 as the panel pointed out. Hard to believe because this is his fifth year in the league. That kind of took me back and thought it would be foolish to give up on him.

After tonight……no way I trade him.

chucker:
    I think Patrick Kane just punched another cab driver.

lol, awesome.

Also, Gagner has more points tonight than Gomez has all year. Ouch!!!!!

First off, lol @ Chucker.. gold.

Secondly… f.u. you doubting bastards.

But seriously, it IS just one game though. But one hell of a game.

6. Alan-NottsUK says:

Lost in this all is Eberle’s 50th point, and 20th goal of the season.

As for Gagner, damn internet went out on me a few seconds into the 2nd period so I had to wait until this morning to watch.

One of only 13 players to score 8 points in a game, Gagner is the first since Lemuiex April 25th 1989, so Gagner wasn’t even alive when it last happened!

The last time a player scored eight points in a game was 1989…the Year #89 was born. His Dad was barely into his NHL career playing twelve more seasons

Just watched all of the highlights from last night again, some pretty amazing plays, but the one that stood out the most to me was Gagner’s stretch pass to Hall for the first Oilers goal…if we had a D man or two that could make those kinds of passes fairly consistently we’d be ridiculous.

Well we could trade Gagner for a guy who can stretch pass… lol jk…. (kind of)

But seriously, that’s Tom Gilbert’s forte.. would be good to have him back, even for nothing more than that.

10. Ktown says:

That was a fun game to watch. What’s even better was that it was a 5 goal 3rd period. That’s a great way to win a game…

I’d rather see Hemmer moved to bring in some D, than to have Gagner moved. At 22, he could still be that quality 2nd line C we’ll need for any run.

Last night he made a pretty good argument for 1st. But as I said before, it was only one night. I used to be pretty insistent he could be a 1st line center though.. but really not so sure on that. But yep, definitely a quality 2nd liner at worst.

I. can’t. believe. I. went. to. bed. at. the. end. of. the. second. period.

Was falling asleep – hope it gets re-aired sometime! Way to be Sammy G!

13. oilinblood says:

chucker: I think Patrick Kane just punched another cab driver.

LMAO.

That was exactly the type of game that you would EXPECT gagner to play well in. Your opponent wants to live and die by the rush and play a pretty non-physical game. I would say that in the NW Div you play maybe 10 games of your 82 against a team that is ok with rolling the dice playing this haphazardly. I not taking anything away from gags… he and the other oilers took the space given to them and 6 were beauts as far as i am concerned.
    He even won some draws. At the very least i feel Gags is an ok player on the wing and certainly a better option than Horcoff or Belanger if Faceoffs arent factors in. If you compare pucks dying on sticks Gags leaves belanger and horcoff in the dust with his ability to not look like a 3 year old throwing a hot-potato in full flail.

I dont think this increases his trade stock but it gives other GMs an exclamation point of why we wont discuss him unless there is a top 3 dman being mentioned to come back our way. For a 22 year old, i think that that is pretty strong management.

Id say he is still available and the high price has now become strengthened.
    Likely he stays and Edmonton sticks to Gagner – what is known- rather thaan taking an educated guess at how someones game would transfer to our group and system.

On the other side of this positive coin…is hemskys disgusting efforts. I am sick and tired of this POS. His uncaring “effort” to take patrick sharp on the pp is the stuff other players do NOT forget. Ive never seen someone act like coasting was so difficult. What an incredibly hilarious “effort” from the worst POS in an Oilers jersey since Shayne Corson.

After last nights game … i would seriously have to question any GMs intelligence if they showed even a pedestrian interest in the SOB. This man is the poster boy for cancer. If i am competitive and made it to the best league in the world and some POS holds up like that and hurts my team? He gets soaped and beaten by the whole team. PATHETIC POS.

14. FastOil says:

Never occurred to me that Gagner perhaps was up for the game because of Kane. Perhaps Kane’s statement before the game that the Hawks were looking for revenge on the 9-2 got the old juices flowing and fate took over.