Sutton and Oilers working on a 1-year deal?

By , February 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Working on an extension with the Oilers..

Working on an extension with the Oilers..

From the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, via Twitter:

The Oilers and D Andy Sutton are discussing a one-year extension. He’s not sure he wants to be a UFA and likes Edmonton. #Oilers

I have to say I’m pretty excited about that. Despite the mystifying coaching decision to pull him out of the Oilers line up, Andy Sutton has been one of this year’s few bright spots. At his age too, a one-year deal is all that makes sense for us. For a team that has a bit of a history of giving aging players too lengthy of a contract, I’m happy to hear that a one-year deal is being worked on. Get it done, and for god sakes, don’t pull him out of the lineup anymore, Renney.

7 Responses to “Sutton and Oilers working on a 1-year deal?”

Sutton got burned trying to make a big hit on one of the Red Wing stars (Zetterberg?). I can only guess that this was why he was a healthy scratch the last two games, and I don’t think that was a wise decision at all. Sutton has been fairly reliable, all things considered, and is looking like a very smart off-season pick up. I’m hoping he is back next year.

2. dawgtoy says:

Racki:

Read that earlier as well on twitter, I’d say that is likely a very good idea. His signing won’t break the bank and depth is always a good idea. I’d also agree he’s been quite reliable and even a surprise. Minus of course the suspensions.

3. dawgtoy says:

Just turned on the Tv to find a brand new Oil Change on the PVR. Excellent surprise.

That’d be a decent signing. I actually don’t mind him on the ice, he’s a huge mass of body that can block pucks and brings a lot of the needed sand paper. Question is how many D would we have signed?

Whitney Petry
    Smid Gilbert
    Sutton Potter

Peckham as 7th D…

Barker – should be gone, IMHO… I mean, I don’t think he’ll be re-signed.

I guess when I look at the line up above, I don’t exactly get goose bumps. All of those guys have to clear waivers to go to the AHL too. I am thinking it would be best to trade one or more of them. I still love Peckham, but I know many fans would send him packing based on this year. My choice is still Whitney. But for sure if he goes, we need to bring in a really special D-man here.

Yah, wow, that D just doesn’t sound good at all still. lol May need a couple of really major moves here.

At any rate, I think Sutton is a quality bottom D pairing, whereas I think Barker is not.

The actual for real Nick Kypreos (someone has actually been trying to impersonate him on Twitter for some crazy reason..) tweeted this:

“Scratch another D off #NHL trading block. Hearing #Oilers Andy Sutton closing in on a new 1 year deal. Its believed to be in 1.75M range.”

That is great news if it’s true, and I’d think it is. Sutton wants to play here, he’s said. And well, the Oilers surely see he has been quite useful. If they sign him for $1.75M for a year, I’d say that is money well spent.

7. Ktown says:

I’m pretty happy with this, too. Sutton has been a surprise (at least to me) this season. I thought when he signed we were picking up a decent 6/7 d-man. Granted, I’d say at best he’s a 5/6, but he’s been a rock back there.

I think he’s good veteran presence in the room too. I’m only judging from the pieces of seen on Oil Change, but he seems to know exactly how to work with the young guys, and also how to joke around a bit too (2+2=jello).

Hell, I don’t even mind the suspensions. IMO, half of the suspension is related to the fact that he’s a freakishly big human and his armpit is the same height as most guys heads. But, I like the fact that we’ve got a guy that quite frankly could hurt you if you’re not playing heads up hockey.

Anyways, 1 year, 1.75m? Consider me a fan of that. Good signing.