Monday Morning Standings

By , February 22, 2012 10:28 am

When does Mad Men start again?

Oiler News

– Gagner still lighting the lamp, 3 points in the game last night to bring his February to a respectable 18 points in 9 games.
– Renney still feeling the post-concussion symptoms. The league really needs to look at fighting/head shots in order to cut down on this.
– O’Marra was traded for an offensive AHL defenseman.
– Hemsky looking good again, just in time for him to be shipped out for a shitty return (seriously people, we should want to keep NHL talent on the team). Although, one of the MSM asshats was saying that he’s considering a 2 year deal which would be cherry (as yeah, even I recognize this hasn’t been his greatest year).
– Kruger got a win!
– Eberle still awesome.

League News

– Tampa has started the fire sale, trading Downie for a Quincey, then turning around and flipping Quincey for a 1st round pick (and a prospect I heard)
– Montreal traded Gill to Nashville for a kid that now has way too much hype on him.
– Tampa traded Kubina to Philly for a bunch of picks, and Dallas traded Grossman to Philly for a bunch of picks.
– Comrie retired. Looks like he’ll have to spend some more time with Duff.
– James Neal got extended for 6 years and 30 mil.
– No surprises on the latest player poll.

Question of the Week

What is a fair deal for Smyth or Hemsky? (Contract or trade)

Fight of the Week

Conference

West

The fight for 8th is heating up, with Phoenix moving up to the 7th spot (following a terrible few weeks by the Kings). Anaheim is moving closer to making it interesting too. But I’m willing to bet this is how it’ll end up.

East

Toronto is holding down the 8th spot, but it’s close between them and Winnipeg and Washington (caps also have a game in hand). I don’t see the Leafs holding on, and it’ll probably be Winnipeg that makes it in.

League

Looks as though the BJ’s have locked up #1, and the Oilers have locked up #2. Now we can just hope for the luck of the draw to come out in our favor.

Pools

Keeper

Yahoo

OKC Barons

The Barons still sit in first, despite Edmonton’s plans to tank their season too. They sit with 71 points, 5 up on 2nd in the conference. They are 2nd in the league behind only the IceCaps (seriously, are these guys owned by Timmehs?)

Keller still leads the team in scoring with 39 in 50 games, and he sits 35th in league scoring so you know the team is getting it done by defense and goaltending. Speaking of which, Danis and Leneveu are sitting 1/2 respectively in the league.

Oil Kings

The Oil Kings sit 1st in their conference with 85 points in 60 games, and 3nd in the league behind the Winterhawks and Blazers. As a testament to how terrible the other conference is, the top 5 teams have already locked up the playoffs while in the Oil Kings conference no one has locked up a playoff spot.

St. Croix still leads the team in scoring with 92 points in 60 games (Raider prospect Mark Stone leads the WHL with 104 points in 56 games!) and sits 6th in league scoring. Brossoit sits 4th in goaltending.

The CHL also currently ranks the Oil Kings the 6th best team in the entire CHL.

19 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

Fair deal for Smyth: 2 years at around $3.5M/per
    Fair deal for Hemsky: 2 years at $5M/per??? I want to say more, but I don’t think it makes sense so much now that he isn’t the centerpiece here. The more years though, the less the offer should be.

Really this team is now Eberle, Hall and Nuges (and maybe to a small extent Gagner’s, Petry’s and Smid’s). These are our stars. Hemsky is now what I’d consider a complementary player. I think he is a good piece to have here though, to provide secondary scoring. And plus he can play tough minutes with Horcoff and Smyth. But he isn’t our #1 anymore.. so should we pay him to be? I’m not so sure. I honestly would hate to see Hemmer go, so I hope we can compromise so far.. but I think anything more than $5M/year doesn’t make too much sense for this team.

If Hemsky is traded.. fair value for him… a 1st rounder (hey Quincey got it… why can’t we???) and a young defenseman. Perhaps like a 1st and Jonathan Blum type of a deal. Or Hemsky straight up for Jonathan Bernier. Bold.. but goalies lack value and I’d prefer not to have Hemmer in this conference if he isn’t an Oiler.

You know what we really need? I really want to hear what OIB has to say. Sure his responses are novels but man that guy is just chock full of hockey wisdom.

And Vermette to Phoenix for a couple picks. A++ for the Raiders hockey club.

As for fair value, for Smyth just keep him going on 1 year deals for a few mil. 3ish seems fair.

As for Hemsky, I’d like him signed for 2 years at 5mil per, but if not then he’d need to bring back a NHL D-man. That’s the only way I’d trade him. Or NHL goalie. Otherwise it’s a waste.

4. Alan-NottsUK says:

For Smyth nothing more than 1 year contracts, higher value next season isn’t much of an issue, hopefully he’d take a huge discount the following year though.

Hemsky is a tough one, it would be nice to reward him for his efforts as the go to guy while the team sucked, but at the same time, you can’t really afford to give him 5m+, the main concern has to be making sure you can fit the young core comfortably into the cap.

That Horcoff contract is going to look even worse over the next couple of years

5. oilinblood says:

You are too kind Racki. :P
    Hemsky come next year doesnt have a spot with this roster. Ive seen enough of him coasting behind his check. everybody drafted in the last 10 years plays 3 zzone hockey. There is no room for a slacker. I suspect Klefbom, based on his SEL year compared to hedman and larsson, will compete for a spot next year and we will draft Grigs. I assume Kreugs has passed on the knowledge that most of Magnuses goals that are outside of 5 feet from the net… are actually scored from his off wing (including all 3 of his hattrick pre-season performance). I could see Grigs and gagner sharing C duty on a line with Magnus.
    Those are all top 6 talents although i perfer Gags as wing that you can shift to pivot when he is on his game or when the game flow is more to his strengths.
    then we goot lander – Belanger and Horcoff.

Hemskys contract worth IMHO is way less than 5M and too risky for a LT contract. Someone had posted a 2008-09 vid to support hemsky. it was flashy but 1/6th was from one game in philly against a 3rd stringer. The remainder were pp goals and goals goalies want back.

hemsky in a nut shell… no defensive or neutral zone pride or iq, when healthy shows up a few nights to make you drewl, when healthy works the wall for most of his points on the pp…and was the oilers only option there for a decade.
    As a GM i see ebs magnus rnh hall eager gags…all chasing their coverages and workin like dogs (as with all players that hope to get through midget). How can you put hard workers with a slacker? My opinion… hes a jimmy carson. the sh goal allowed versus the hawks was the final nail in the coffin that this guy will never put in effort even if he has to just put one more stride into that coast job behind Bolland. allhe did was stand against the half wall for 30 seconds so fatigue is no excuse. Horrific level of pride and effort. messier would kill him.
    hemskys done

smyth? 1 year 2.5 – 3M maybe 2.5 with playoff bonus. if he doesnt sign we got lots of options. i think he signs though.

time to move on to better days.

a good debate is if hemsky would be drafted today and in what place. Considering every drafted player has defensive systems and mindsets drilled in to them…i dont think anyone but the most desperate team drafts him. oilers arent desperate anymore. id say we have 3-4 good replacements for him that might not do the pp work but will be better for us as champs.

champs is the only goal…not charity for deeds done.

5 mill is too much for Hemsky. Patrick Sharp makes 3.9. 4 for Hemsky is fair. Maybe 4.5. I guess the 5 mill COULD be justified by need and term, but he would have to have no offer of an NMC or NTC. I think he settles in at 4.5ish and we hope he returns to the form of the guy we hoped would get 75-80. Points a year and deserves a raise after that. Don’t forget Gagner gets a raise too….

Looks like the dig for Grig has officially, well not really official, has commenced. Part of my rebuild series I’m looking to go quite in depth in the top three/maybe top five picks this year.

As for the trade front, the only thing I could see the Oilers yielding full value in a trade would be is if names that weren’t Hemsky were in play. And I think it would be rediculous if we traded him off if we didn’t get equal value coming back. It would be an utter failure though if management let him walk. Tough call, tough call indeed. It’s now that I see how much Horcoff’s contract has handcuffed this team and with 3 years left @ 5.5million cap he’s here to stay.

I can see Gagner, Eager and Jones garnering some attention at the deadline but other than those guys I couldn’t see other moves being sensible. Even with those guys getting a decent return I personally would not consider moving them.

Completely hypothetical but would you move Gagner + Mid to late 2012 for Ellis? That’s what I think it would take.

All of this talk about Bernier/Harding, I wouldn’t mind acquiring either of these guys but I don’t think this solves our goaltending issue. Acquiring Bernier would be a sideways move, I think it’d be acquiring another Dubnyk looking at the stats (and accounting that Bernier has been on a better team).

I don’t see the Oilers coming out of the deadline like they did last year – referring to the Penner trade. If we get a quality return in anyway I think it will come at a lofty expense.

Sorry. iPad cannot edit. Anyway; I would do the two year for 4.25 with bonuses for games played and points AND plus minus. Two years. If he hits the bonuses say another 500k with the hopes he hits them and becomes the solid player he once was. I really like his form lately and hopefully that is a sign of things to come. We are a better team with him as a happy and healthy player than without. It would send a good signal to the league that we keep our battle tested guys and reward them instead of trading them.

The only thing would be the Jack Johnson and Bernier offer that you know has to happen now. Kings lost again tonight. Lombardi gets fired without second round at least and for sure if they miss. He’s going to be. Aggressive and making big offers for sure.

9. oilinblood says:

hemsky was interviewed on cfrn and said 2 years doesnt make much sense to him. he also stated (my translation was that he was directly talking about the oilers on this) that he wants to be a top line guy for his next 5 years (which is what he expects his contract to be it sounds like) and doesnt see that here.

he was his usual self in vagueness but …
    id say the rumors and rublings are true. oilers offered 2 year extension (ive heard this from 20 sources it seems) and he rejected based on term and not $$$. he also feels he doesnt fit …which in my opinion is the only smart thing he has ever said about hockey.

10. dawgtoy says:

“Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.”

I agree Hemsky would have been the ideal candidate for a lucrative performance based contract, but it can’t be done according to the CBA.
    Also you can edit using the IPAD if you turn off the theme at the bottom of the page.

chucker: Patrick Sharp makes 3.9

He makes 3.9 this year (end of current contract) and will be making 5.9 for the next 5 years.

I have no problem paying him around 5 per on a short 1 or 2 year deal but if he wants term then he needs to take money off (the cap hit at least). Cause yes, even though my man-crush is pretty big I do understand that Hall, Eberle and the Nuge are the future and are getting close to getting paid (after next year for Hall and Eberle).

The way I see it, Hemsky has had a proven record of over 5 years at just under a ppg (.88 I think) and this year is just a bad year (6% shooting as opposed to career avg of 11%). Plus he’s gone against the toughs the past 5 years and you know he can hack it.

Guaranteed top-6 forward that wants to stay (as he’s said), who the other stars want to say (as per Hall on his interview after last game) and so long as the cap hit doesn’t impact the signing of the other kids, then go for it.

Edit: Oh, and he’s only 28 and hitting the prime of his career.

I say Hemsky is worth banking on for 2 years, for sure. The price isn’t overly a concern to me, as long as it makes sense. It’s difficult to justify any player salaries here when we have the albatross $5.5M cap hit on the books. $5M / year for 2 years would be fair value for me for sure. This is one bad year, and many of you folks have already forgotten the 9 he had before it.

I do understand that we want to keep money tight here. I 100% agree with that. I too want no NMC or NTC in his contract. That’s a must. But really, there was a time not that long ago where everyone realized how underpaid Ales Hemsky was (by NHL standards, of course, not real world standards). I think Hemsky will be a good player to keep here, and you likely can’t keep him at a pay cut or a slight increase, because it’s value he does deserve and could get elsewhere, I’m sure. That’s why I suggest a 2-year deal to help him re-prove his value while helping our team out, without cutting into the re-signing time for “the kids”.

I agree with Steve-O partly in that Hemsky plays the tough minutes and can play them. This year hasn’t been a good year, but it’s been the anomaly. While I’m definitely all goo-goo for Hall, Eberle, Gagner, and Nuge and such, I also realize that they aren’t facing the tough competition most of the time yet and haven’t had to battle out of their zone to start a shift very much either. That will come with time, but in the mean time we will need players here that can do that. I will definitely happily consider other guys here to do that though too. So I’m not 100% “we must keep Hemsky” so much as saying that we need a veteran skill player here, and we know he can work here and I have an idea what his value is to keep him.

If Hemsky wants too much salary or too long of term though and won’t budge, then yes, I think we have to part ways. But I’d make an honest effort to keep him here, which I think 2-years at $5M/year is.

Thanks for the performance bonus info. I didn’t know that. Also thanks for the editing tip.

I think we all agree Hemsky should ideally remain here. I guess the question is now cap and term. Time to sit back and hope it’s a good deal for both sides.

Edit: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Change+address+could+benefit+Hemsky+says+Jagr/6194563/story.html
    Thought this article might add some insights. Who knows?

Cue Hemsky to the Flyers rumors! ;)

Also re: Sharp, they actually look pretty similar historically (surprisingly so, I expected Sharp’s to be better than it was) so I wouldn’t be surprised if that is what Hemsky’s agent looks for $$ wise.

Well I would like to take back the “Dig for Grig” comment. I doubt we will be falling as low as 30th this season and I can’t see Yakupov slipping to number two. So I don’t have a clever title for our draft pick choice right now on the account of how far Grig could fall. If you are interested in the Grig sweepstakes I’d suggests reading this…

Grant McCagg:
    Mikhail Grigorenko:  There had been whispers over the past month that all may not be wonderful when it comes to the scouting world’s perception of Grigorenko’s competitiveness, but the whispers have grown into full-blown skepticism in some circles. “He could fall right off the map,” said one scout who asserted that his club won’t be considering him in the first round.

“He doesn’t want to compete. If he’s there at 25 and we are picking, we go by him.”

His concerns were echoed by another eastern conference scout who insisted his team will not select the talented Russian no matter where they end up in the standings. “He’s a dog. Take a look at what games Grigorenko gets his points. He gets a handful the other night against PEI. none at Moncton, and one assist (in the nationally televised game) in Saint John.  A couple of weeks ago in Rimouski he’s minus 6. He scares the (crap) out of me.”  While there’s no denying his skill level, and his 73 points in 39 games as a QMJHL rookie are a testament to his offensive abilities, there will be a lot of teams watching him closely in the playoffs to see whether he has the competitive streak scouts like to see in their top five prospects. As of right now a number of teams have several players ranked ahead of him, and that trend will continue if he does not learn to compete at a higher level.

So, Darren Dreger saying multiple teams are showing interest in the Oilers (specifically Hemsky, it would seem). In a way it saddens me because the inevitable is approaching. In ways I’d love Hemsky to stay here. In ways I think it would be best to move on. So I’m not really cheering for either situation. However, if we do trade Hemsky, I sure as hell hope we get a good player.

Rumor from McKenzie too is that Dustin Brown is available. That would be an interesting trade option for Hemsky. But I’d love to be a fly on the wall to hear all the deals going on.. then slap the phone out of Tambellini’s hand when he begins to accept the wrong deal. :P

If both Brown and Bernier are available in L.A., I’d be more than happy to give up a couple decent players to make that happen (avoiding any of our young kids.. which includes Gagner, Paajarvi, etc too)

If the Oilers acquired Brown for Hemsky, I’d be more than ecstatic. He’s one of the players I’ve always wanted in an Oilers jersey, oh man that’d be awesome but I can’t really see it happening, not for just Hemsky anyways.

What about Hemsky and Hartikainnen for Brown and a 4th? Something that gives LA something when Hemsky goes UFA. Brown is supposed to be good in the locker room too. Hmmmm. So many rumours. This is shaping up to be an active rumour mill for us.

I won’t be glad if Hemsky goes, but I will understand it if he does. It would be great if he could stay and dominate on a decent contract. I just don’t get the feeling it’s in the cards unfortunately. Getting nothing is just not an option.