Tom Gilbert Traded to the Wild for Nick Schultz

By , February 27, 2012 11:05 am

Oilers have just traded Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz

Steve-O’s initial thoughts: Terrible trade. Absolutely terrible. Although I know nothing about Schultz.

Steve-O more rational thoughts 3 hours later: I still think we gave away a better D man. At best we broke even.

Racki’s info:
Here’s what I’ve been able to dig up about Nick Schultz:
Scouting Report
Assets

Has excellent speed, mobility and grit for the blue-line position. Plays with poise and is capable of logging a lot of minutes. Always gives his all and leads by example.

Flaws

Lacks the physicality to truly dominate offensive forwards. Doesn’t play with a lot of confidence in the offensive zone at the NHL level.

Career Potential

Solid defensive defenseman.

He’s 6’1, 200 lbs and shoots left (sucks losing a righty in Gilbert.. especially one that excels at moving the puck) and 29 years old.

$3.5M cap hit until end of 2013-14, so the Oilers save $500k in salary.

This is what the experts are calling a “hockey trade”. Tom Gilbert returns to his home of Minnesota.

Schultz averaged 19:35 in TOI this year so far with the Wild, with what looks like 2nd line pairing on the PP and top pairing on the PK.

24 Responses to “Tom Gilbert Traded to the Wild for Nick Schultz”

1. dawgtoy says:

I, like Steve-o, have no idea who he is. I’d say on a team that has difficulty moving the puck from the back end, this trade doesn’t make a lot of sense unless there is more to come. YUCK!

We’ll see. I’m going to wait to give my approval or disapproval because while the Oilers do have troubles moving the puck out of their own zone, a lot of it also has to do with the fact they can’t get the puck back most of the time. Need some guys that are more difficult to play against. If Schultz is that, I’ll be happy. Time will tell. I really don’t know yet.

I will say that despite the fact that the fans here have been trying to chase Gilbert out of town for a few years now, I didn’t see a trade coming at all this year. He’s looked good in most facets of his game.

MSM keeps saying that Gilbert has been replaced by Petry. First of all, wouldn’t Gilbert and Petry be better than just Petry? Second of all, what if Petry regresses like Peckham did this year?

I have nothing against Schultz as I just don’t know him nor can I recall his play at all, but why would a 29th place team with not good D trade one of their best D man? Trade from a strength to fill a weakness.

Here’s another glowing review… apparently Nick Schultz was really well liked there by fans/teammates. They are morning his loss ;)

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

Schultz is #1 in TOI for ES & PK with the Wild and like Racki said well liked by his team mates

6. oilinblood says:

this is a big trade in my mind. Nick has played the right side at different times, although he is a left shot.
    I would say; he may not be called a puck moving defenseman… but i would say he fits the term better than gilbert. He wont hadle the puck alot but he will make a solid and “heady” first pass. I find he is good at finding tape to tape, or bank shots from tape to tape…rather than rolling dice trying to rail the boards.
    Personally i thought smid really stood out when paired with gilbert, as the better player.

I dont think Nick is here to play the right but its nice that hes had the brief history if injuries arise.

only sad part is gilbert was close with everyone but the oilers are a better team IMO with the arrival of Nick.

i will be interested to see the combinations and who slips in the minutes.

dawgtoy:
    This is an interesting read.

I think they like Schultz, just not giving up Gilbert to get him. See here.

8. oilinblood says:

Racki:

i think you willbe happy. Nick wont do anything flashy or risky. high percentage plays all the time. communicates well with others on the ice and is jason smith like in his tunnel vision (a good combo). In other words, he will zero in on his man and works determined to shut that person down and win the puck. He isnt going to multi task, he isnt going to level anyone, he isnt going to ever get caught watching the puck, his eyes will be on the chest of his check until he has the puck on his own stick.
    i dont think he covers well for other dmen though. he wont go out of position to cover someones butt. not really a fault there though.

one thing that i will point out is that hius offensive side was there as a prospect. i have an open mind about what he may be able to bring offensively to us. he is defense first but does have good vision, reads and an accurate shot. if he plays like ulanov and just gets pucks thru legs and on net… with guys like smyth hall and rnh danling around who knows wht nicks numbers could be.

OIB: Everything I’ve read about Nick Schultz sounds good and makes me like him.

Sorry.. almost everything. The only thing I’ve read that has been negative has been from people that haven’t really watched him play much (a category which I admittedly fall in to as well). I am not a “stats guy” and never will be, but I do use them to support what I see. However, if I haven’t seen much, then stats alone aren’t telling me anything either. People in the know are saying that his intangibles are what make him stand out. To the “stats guys” that are disappointed in this trade without even seeing him, I say “wait.” Wait and see what he brings before judging this. I’m not too happy that we gave up Gilbert though. I actually would have traded Whitney first, but maybe they weren’t having any of that. Mind you, Whitney has a mean bone in his body, unlike Gilbert.

Time will tell here, but I’m optimistic.

10. oilinblood says:

i have always hated watching minnie play but for me nick stood out as a solid d man. i was surprised he was available. I know alot of friends are surprised gilbert was available but he has been a part of this terrible d for a long time and i dont think he ever reached my low expectations. He never became what i saw in NCAA and really had the chance to show it in the last two years.

I like the fact Minnie, to me, is now a hell of a lot easier to play against after the trades in the last week.

Now … the numbers dont make a hell of a lot of sense… Whitney, Smid, Sutton, Barker, Peckham … LHDs, but im hoping the Oil intend on going very hard for a certain dman from Nashville once the playoffs are through.

i like long hair, but for my job i cant have it, and i have a bias liking towards defensemen and defensive players/two way dependable players. That being said Gilberts hair was better than his game imo.
    ———————————–
    2 years
    i have a pretty firm belief now that the organization wants to be contenders in 2013-14. they want to be legitimate contenders in 2 seasons. It is an achievable goal. I expect they will swing hard for the player they covet once the playoffs are done.
    PIcking up shultz for gilbert is saying alot. Gilbert was considered a work in progress to be a shut down d who could move the puck. They move him for a shut down dman who is already polished at the same age. To me that (hemskys contract term is coincidental imo) supports my earlier assumptions of the 2 year goal (seems in line with the original 5 year cup as well).

—————-
    Vancouver just got scary. I hate to say it but they are the cup favorites now. they didnt have to give up anything that wasnt redundant and they didnt touch their 1-2 goaltending security. I hate this.

11. G&S says:

I will keep this short since i am using the on screen keyboard(bad day for my keyboard to crap out).Anyways really like this trade and have always thought highly of nick (surprised that not too many know much about him, he is very solid).

Interesting trade, I’ll have quite a bit to talk about in my rebuild series now. I have two midterms this week and an assignment due so I probably won’t get it written up until Thursday some time. Didn’t see this coming that’s for sure.

Yah honestly, initial reaction for me was “we did what??”. I was shocked because I didn’t even know Gilbert was in play this year. But, I am pretty excited about this deal. Schultz seems to be a guy that guys Minnesota fans/players/media are pissed off about losing. I think it’ll be an even deal for both sides with how Gilbert has played this year.

The best way to follow this up, I think, next year is to get some good support players in our bottom six as well as a reliable young goalie.

Darren Dreger thought the Oilers did good today too.

14. hemmerlady says:

Steve-O:
    MSM keeps saying that Gilbert has been replaced by Petry.First of all, wouldn’t Gilbert and Petry be better than just Petry?Second of all, what if Petry regresses like Peckham did this year?

I have nothing against Schultz as I just don’t know him nor can I recall his play at all, but why would a 29th place team with not good D trade one of their best D man?Trade from a strength to fill a weakness.

yeah, that was what I thought. The trade doesn’t make sense to me on first glance… especially to lose a RHD which we do not have an abundance of. I guess we’ll see in time.

I have to say I was impressed with Gibby’s play this year and I’m sad to see him go.

Oh god, someone pour OG77 a drink. Make it a double.

Well from various sources, blog/forums (mostly Wild fans) a little mainstream media I have compiled this information. If you read my write up later this week don’t be surprised to see this again. :D

Nick Schultz is an underrated defenseman who is not overly physical but is great with his gap control and plays a pretty good positional game. In Minnesota he was used primarily in a defensive role being able to calm the waters and racked up a lot of ice time on the penalty kill. He is not the flashiest player; he won’t make big open ice hits, tends to struggle in the corners and physical battles but he is dependable, good at keeping the puck on the perimeter, has a good transitional game and can be counted on him in the dire minutes of the game. Schultz is a great locker room guy, I haven’t heard a negative thing yet, and will be a great addition to the dressing room for character and leadership. He puts in a full effort every night and leads by example on and off the ice.

I never heard anything in that about “Guitar Hero”… major, major loss… ………………. :P

Racki:
    I never heard anything in that about “Guitar Hero”… major, major loss… ……………….

Yeah, I was always pumping up TG’s Guitar Hero factor. :/.

Anyway, I was thrilled with it. Need for need. We need guys who make it hard to playin our end. We just got what Smid is becoming. Minnie needs a replacement for Zids. Good deal for both and we gain back 500k in cap. He won’t be flashy, but he will become a fan and teammate favorite soon. Heck, Minnie was devastated at his loss.

I have never been a huge Gilbert guy but he was doing well, just not enough of a guy who will go and get the puck and be tough on the opposition. For what it’s worth, John Shannon really applauded Tambi for “doing his homework” and getting one of the most under rated D men out there.

Potter and Petry have already passed Gilbert in my mind and also on the PP. not in overall skill yet with, but close enough and cheaper and younger. Schultz has low turnover rate to. That will make a difference right away.

To tell you the truth, I was shocked Minnie would trade him. This is that type of D man you like Racki. Gotta give to get and Gilbert is just expendable now in my eyes.

Don’t forget we still have Klefbom coming in as well as Fedun hopefully.

Yah, everything I’ve been reading makes it sounds like Schultz is right up my alley… although he doesn’t seem to have the mean edge that I prefer d-men to have, but as long as he’s good defensively, I can live with that. We need guys who are going to make it difficult on forwards in our d-zone…. their forwards.

chucker:
    Don’t forget we still have Klefbom coming in as well as Fedun hopefully.

True.. I always forget about Fedun.

Haven’t forgotten about Klefbom though.. or Marincin.

Martin Gernat might also be one of our more underrated prospects too.

Racki: True.. I always forget about Fedun.

Haven’t forgotten about Klefbom though.. or Marincin.

Martin Gernat might also be one of our more underrated prospects too.

I would also be shocked if we did not draft Ryan Murphy this draft as well. Grigorenko may not even go in the first round with the reviews he is getting now. Murphy is the shiz.

*Murray (not Murphy.. he was drafted last year… damned confusing).

I think he’d be good, but it would be a bit of a wait there (most likely, anyways).

23. dawgtoy says:

Now that the shock of the trade has worn off and I’ve had some time to read just about everything I can find on Shultz, I can see the logic in what Tambellini is trying to do….in theory. I guess the smart thing to do is to simply just take some time (3 or 4 games) and watch him play, then hopefully we’ll see that he brings balance to the defense, provided everyone can stay healthy.
    And since the conversation has digressed to the draft, from what I’ve seen…young Reinhart is a solid player and moving up fast. Given the Oiler have seen a ton of him, I wouldn’t be surprised to see his name called by the Oilers come draft day. Especially if we continue to play spOilers and move up in the standings.