Oilers 3, Maple Leafs 6 – Game 53 – 2012-02-06 @ 5:00 PM MST – SNETW

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Toronto Maple Leafs
logo vs. logo
21-26-5 Record 27-19-6
Location: Air Canada Centre
Date: February 6, 2012 @ 5:00PM MST
TV: SNETW

So tonight the Oilers face the Maple Leafs. The Oilers are pretty hot as of late, having earned 9 out of a possible 10 points in their last 5 games. The same can be said of the Leafs, themselves, who are on a streak of their own as they try to make the playoffs for the first time under the new CBA. Currently they sit in 8th, but are barely clinging on for dear life. If all is right in the world, the Leafs will miss the playoffs again. But I almost pity the team.

Good news on the Oilers front.. Tom Gilbert returns! And yet again, thanks to the win and your in policy, Devan Dubnyk gets the nod in net. Good for him! The Oilers will also continue to play Gagner with Hall and Eberle, so fantastic news for any of you folks (myself included) lucky enough to have him in a hockey pool.

OILERS LINES

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Horcoff-RNH-Hemsky
Smyth-Belanger-Jones
Eager-Lander-Petrell

Smid-Petry
Whitney-Potter
Barker-Gilbert

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Please use the comments section to make comments (for posterity’s sake), rather than the chat box, until the game starts.

Chat is currently closed.

9 Responses to “Oilers 3, Maple Leafs 6 – Game 53 – 2012-02-06 @ 5:00 PM MST – SNETW”

1. G&S says:

There was a time in my life, mainly when I spent a good chunk of my younger years growing up in Southern Ontario that I absolutely despised the Leafs but I guess over time those feelings have slowly faded away. Now other then Burke and Dion I actually really like the make up of this Leafs team. Kessel Lupul and others actually make this team fun to watch and for the first time in years I find myself watching the front half of HNIC on Saturdays. l think the Leafs with more on the line take this one 5-3 but who knows, I do remember us clobbering them pretty good @ the ACC last year.

In Oilers related news, Sam Gagner has been named #1 star of the week by the NHL (I mean, duuuh), while some attention-seeking journalist is saying that he should have only been credited with 7 points and the record tying performance is tainted, basically (I’ll force you to Google the article up since I don’t want to send links that way). While it is probably true that one assist shouldn’t have counted.. isn’t there something else in the NHL to talk about? You know how many wrongful assists have been amassed in the NHL even just this year alone? Guys are credited with assists where they barely do anything on a play all the time, let alone a case like this where there was a brief loss of possession. No big deal, I say.. but I suppose I’m a homer here.

Really, while I don’t think the guy is wrong, per se, I think it’s pointless arguing because the assist scheme the NHL uses is flawed to begin with. And I’m pretty sure similar cases happen often enough.

3. dawgtoy says:

The healthiest Oiler line-up of the season. Hate the leafs. hope the Oilers smash the life out of them. I pray for a blowout.

4. G&S says:

Renney is out tonight after receiving stitches from taking a puck to the head in practice. Ralph Krueger will command the bench tonight as Renney may be experiencing concussion like symptoms. You know the NHL has a head injury problem when………

Crazy about T-Ren, speedy recovery! As for the game, I hope the Oil crush the Leafs. Can’t stand the orginization and a good chunk of the fan base.

This wouldn’t have happened if Tom Renney was wearing a helmet in practice……. *new cause for TSN et al to jump on*

Per @NHL_Oilers: “Oilers Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be out of the lineup for 7-10 days with a sprained shoulder.”

Racki:

Now, because this is the Oilers medical staff, do we have to double it to make sure?

9. hemmerlady says:

Racki:

Nooooooooooooooooooo. No. I’m so done with this injury bullshit -even the coaching staff is not immune. Dear God of whatever would allow us to catch a break and play at least 1/4 of the season with a healthy team: um, I think we’re due…