Oilers 2, Flames 6 – Game 47 – 2012-01-21 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

GDT - Battle Of Alberta - Edmonton Oilers vs Calgary Flames
logo vs. logo
17-25-4 Record 22-20-6
Location: Rexall Place
Date: January 21st, 2012 @ 8:00PM MST
TV: CBC

These things used to be called the Battle of Alberta… now they are a Battle of Ability for Oilers Fans to Sustain Watching. Calgary has won all 3 this year, and 15 of the last 16 matchups between the two teams. Forget Minnesota and Backstrom.. these guys are our true rivals, and they’ve delivered a beating on us for a while! Time for the Oilers to show some f—ing heart and beat these bastards. It’ll be tough going tonight though as, per usual, we’re playing with a pretty damaged line up. But I’d like to see some spirit in this one. Where are the fights and such of older BoAs??? The Oilers got off to a great start in that 2nd game of the series, but couldn’t hold on. They’re going to need to be fired up and keep the foot on the gas.

No word on lineups just yet. I wonder if Taylor Hall will return. I personally think him sitting out for a bit to let those stitches mend some more wouldn’t be a BAD idea. We’ve got nothing to win at this point, except for pride. However, word is he’s on the 1st PP unit in practice, so there is a good bet he is in. As long as he’s healed up enough to not risk anymore damage. I’m sure he’ll be fine though (…say the Oilers medical staff).

OILERS LINES

Taylor Hall – Sam Gagner – Ales Hemsky
Magnus Paajarvi – Shawn Horcoff – Jordan Eberle
Ryan Smyth – Eric Belanger – Ben Eager
Darcy Hordichuk – Anton Lander – Ryan Jones

Ladislav Smid – Jeff Petry
Andy Sutton – Corey Potter
Theo Peckham – Colten Teubert

Nikolai Khabibulin
Devan Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

27 Responses to “Oilers 2, Flames 6 – Game 47 – 2012-01-21 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

Khabib gets the start tonight.

Taylor Hall is back on the top line, folks! Great news.

And I like that Horcoff will center Paajarvi and Eberle. Paajarvi’s work ethic seems unquestionable… he just can’t seem to bury it. Maybe playing with a talented winger like Eberle will help him score. I thought Horcoff helped Hall and Eberle along last year too. I think while he’s struggled a bit too (Horc that is), he’s been getting into scoring areas well, so hopefully that trio has a good game. `

3. NorwegianOiler says:

I’m really, really, tired of losing to the Flames. I cannot even begin to understand how it must be when you have their Flaming lair just hours away. A “good effort” does not do against the Flames. A “59 minute game” does not cut it. Taking it to overtime isn’t good enough for me. Even winning in itself isn’t what I am after. I want a full out crushing. Let’s say win by 4-5 goals. At least.

Now, let’s see it!

4. ieatboogs says:

Yes! Crush them.

One of the CBC guys (Eric something??) was asked about Ales Hemsky with the Oilers. He listed several teams with interest (although noted one of them having concerns of his shoulder injury, of course). He stated that value for him will go up, leading to the deadline. He seems to be the hot topic as far as in trade rumors.

He talked about one destination that we’ve all talked about here, and that was Nashville. The name he said was Jonathan Blum, and to my surprise, he also said that Nashville would need to pad the deal with a 1st rounder. He also suggested Ryan Ellis as a possibility (although no mention of the first).

So Blum and a 1st for Hemsky… what do you folks think? I think it would be fair value. Although, I really like Ryan Ellis. He was a stellar D-man in Junior. Only issue there, again, is his size is not good at all. The other player that maybe we could nab is Roman Josi.

Anyways, lots of buzz around Hemsky on TSN and CBC. Where there is smoke, there’s fire.. so don’t buy a Hemsky jersey. I’d put good money down that he’ll be gone by the deadline. I just hope he doesn’t get hurt before then.. although it may be a blessing in disguise for some who are hopeful he isn’t moved.

Another Battle of Alberta where only Calgary was aware that it was a Battle of Alberta. Sad. Sorry, NorOil, you didn’t get your wish in a way at all.

Another gritty game by Hall though. I think in the end, we’ll see what separates him from many other players. Also Hordi at least tried to make it interesting by drilling Sarich into Kipper. But aside from that, there were few signs of life out there. I thought Peckham battled pretty hard too.

Feels less and less like the BoA lately. The “rivalry” is thin, the history might be there but that’s about it. Look at Chi vs Van, Phi vs NYR/Pit, Wsh vs Pit, I think to re-spark this intense rivalry the Oilers are going to have to start stealing some valuable points from the Flames.

Seems like the game went in CGYs favor tonight, was it just me or did they get a few lucky bounces? Silver lining, Hall’s intensity and Eberle’s maturity… after the game(After Hours interview).

It’s sad to say it but as an Oilers fan I’ve stayed away from watching games again now this year. I wanted to watch this one and it was pretty tough. I guess we’ll be looking more and more towards the draft now. It will be an interesting deadline.

On a side note, I’m hoping Stu and team are scouting Reinhart and Pearson along with the “top pick” talents of course.

Stu MacGregor should give Tambellini some thanks for turning him into the greatest scout in Oilers history. I kid of course, based on having his picks served up on a platter… “let’s see, do I pick this spectacular phenom at #1 overall.. or this guy”.

In all seriousness, Stu has been great outside #1s, but it looks like we’ll be in for another top 3 pick this year. Nuge’s return to the lineup will help some, probably. But it’s still pretty gloomy here.

We could really use a Harding and a Weber to help turn next season around.

Damn that I missed Eberle on after hours!

9. Alan-NottsUK says:

I hate this team at times. I hope to read of a bag skate happening at some point soon.

10. NorwegianOiler says:

Fucking ugly, that was. Again. Bloody Groundhog day of losing. I suspect it’s even worse at 4AM in the morning than it is in the evening.

The Oilers recalled Chorney, Petrell and Hartikainen today. My guess is so that we can see what it looks like when guys play for their jobs

Alan: you probably won’t get your bag skate wish, because the Oilers play Monday and Tuesday.

zackman35:
    Feels less and less like the BoA lately. The “rivalry” is thin, the history might be there but that’s about it. Look at Chi vs Van, Phi vs NYR/Pit, Wsh vs Pit, I think to re-spark this intense rivalry the Oilers are going to have to start stealing some valuable points from the Flamers.

I feel the same way. The last few years I stop watching about now. It’s too depressing. Last night I looked at the BOA, and told myself playing video games would be more fun. I was correct.

13. NorwegianOiler says:

Prepare the handbasket, we’re going to explore yet another uncharted level of hell.

14. John says:

I was gonna spend ten minutes spouting profanities about last nights game but I am dangerously close to not giving much of a shit anymore, much like the players. This team is in a very tenuous position right now; changes & improvements need to happen NOW as in no later than the Trade Deadline or else she’s gonna come apart like a watermelon on the highway! We need to wrangle Harding out of Minny or something similar, then do that deal with Nashville for a defenceman via Hemsky, then get rid of some more dead weight any way possible. Then with our #2 pick (likely?) get another blue chip defensive prospect for a few years down the road when guys like Gilbert & Whitney are gone.

That is what needs to happen, or pretty damn close to it, or else this franchise & Oiler fans are effed!

Racki: so don’t buy a Hemsky jersey

I’m going to wait until he’s traded to Detroit (which seems close as per Kypreos (spelling?) twitter) so I can get one cheap. I’m a cheap bastard.

Also, and I think it’s kinda important, but both Hall (as per reaction after empty net goal) and Eberle (as per after hours) are already getting pretty fucking sick of losing.

Best to start winning and show them we want to, before they leave for winning franchises.

Steve-O:

I totally agree. I think it’s disgusting that we’re in another 30th place dog fight again.

And as far as the Kypreos twitter, you mean his REAL twitter account? Cause there were some fake tweets from a fake Kypreos account about it. I think he will have great success if he goes to a place like Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh or Detroit.

This should have been the year that the Oilers try and turn things around. It started off way better than I expected, but it’s back to the same spot as last year (basically), which is incredibly disappointing and not at all what I expected. I think I was trying to aim for a “realistic” expectation of around 10th or so in the conference. But I figured they would be in a spot where they were competitively close.

I know a lot of people dislike Renney, but I still think this hangs on Tambellini who has done nothing to react to the rash of injuries this team has suffered. Our depth this year was tested, and unfortunately we are not deep beyond inexperienced kids on the farm.

I think the off-season movies Tambellini made were good, however, but he’s sat on his hands since then and is seemingly happy to watch this team flush another season down the toilet.

Like you said, Hall and Eberle and the likes will only take losing so much. I have a great respect for the two of them as they still seem to bust their ass and want to drag this team out of the 7th layer of hell. The good news for this team is our failures have very little to do with our younger players most nights.

Steve-O: I’m going to wait until he’s traded to Detroit (which seems close as per Kypreos (spelling?) twitter) so I can get one cheap.I’m a cheap bastard.

Oh you’re one of the dipshits of Twitter I just tweeted about… it’s a fake account, asshole! :P

Alan-NottsUK:

So I stand corrected… Renney bag skated them today: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=151760

Fair enough, I don’t follow any one of his twitter accounts (real or fake). Someone retweeted it.

That said, I know he’s going to be traded. I’ve accepted it. And I will cheer for him to win a cup right quick.

I think, yah, it’s a given he’ll be traded. I think it’s a given too that if he goes to one of those better teams I mentioned that he’s going to have an even crazier highlight reel package than he already does. I have nothing against Hemsky, really. When he’s on, he’s on and a treat to watch. I am not too upset that he’ll be moved though… but only because I think we should be able to get pretty good value for him. Right now he’s the talk of the 2012 deadline… he’s the hot commodity.

On another topic, wouldn’t it be nice to get Tuomo Ruutu? He’ll be traded too. We shouldn’t trade for him though because he’s a UFA, but he’s a guy I’ve liked for years… would be nice if we could pick him up as a UFA come July.

22. hemmerlady says:

equally heartbroken by our league basement dwelling, and the seemingly imminent threat of trading Hemmer to a team that would have to own a magic shoulder-fixing wand. I reluctantly have a new username in mind.

There is nothing that I don’t hate about our poor performance this year. The positives have been great – that we have some offensive skill, we try hard and we have some upcoming stars – but it doesn’t f__cking matter in March. I have to admit that I too kept the tv off last night – checked the score once during the 2nd period and it was over already. It seems so… fairweather Canuck-fan-like – but I can’t stomach watching us get killed each and every night.

I can say that I actually watched the entire game, and quite frankly I would have loved to have had that 2.5 hours back, so don’t feel bad about skipping it ;)

So, I was out and didn’t see any games last night, by the time I got home it was 2am and everything was over. Sounds like it was an ugly game and best that I wasn’t around to watch. I’m glad Hall was able to be back in the lineup though.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing. Wasn’t pretty.

And in even better news, looks like Tambellini may be getting an extension.

My excitement over seeing that headline forced me to violate my boycott of the Sun website, and it just made me more sad.

26. NorwegianOiler says:

Steve-O:
    Yeah, I watched the whole thing.Wasn’t pretty.

And in even better news, looks like Tambellini may be getting an extension.

That’s dreadful. Tambellini’s eye for talent is poor, his ability to recognize and amend roster problems ditto. Katz has the option to just let this run its course, or even better, install a new GM before the deadline…but won’t? Meh.

“Will I keep on asking myself yes/no questions? Yes I will. Will the Oilers be a better team for it? No, they won’t”.

Well well.

27. Alan-NottsUK says:

LateNightOilFan:
    So, I was out and didn’t see any games last night, by the time I got home it was 2am and everything was over.Sounds like it was an ugly game and best that I wasn’t around to watch.I’m glad Hall was able to be back in the lineup though.

you’re lucky, the game didn’t start till 3am my time. Watched the first and then decided sleep was a better option than watching the rest.