All Star Monday Morning Standings

By , January 27, 2012 8:13 am

Oiler News

– Eberle got selected to the All Star game, should be a nice little bonus on his pay cheque.
– Rumors abound about Hemsky being traded (booo personally) and Gagner being on the block (boo again). I wouldn’t do either unless you have a current top 4 D man coming back. Some other rumor monger is saying that there is interest in Peckham and Sutton too. What kind of rebuild trades away kids too?

League News

– All Star teams were picked, Eberle got selected by Team Chara. Couture ended up being picked last, and apparently got a old person car. Datsyuk was picked first, cause he’s pretty fucking awesome.
– Tim Thomas was a right wing nut bag, but meh. I would have personally loved to have gone to meet Obama and see the white house, but then again I’m Canadian and I’d be like a fucking tourist. “Look! That’s where JFK banged the shit outta Monroe!”
– Ovechkin got suspended 3 games for a high hit, and subsequently removed himself from the All Star festivities.
– Puck Daddy has an interesting contributor called The Player, who is a current player and offers some insight to the game. My guess is it is a college grad, and union rep. Since I am Oilers biased, I’m guessing Horcoff.

Question of the week

What year of the rebuild do you think we are on? I have heard lots of people lately saying “Well, we are only 2 years into a rebuild” which strikes me personally as wrong (I think we’ve been rebuilding since 2007 personally, but that’d make the management team look stupid), but I’d be interested in what you all think.

When did the Oilers rebuild start?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fight of the week

Conference

West

I think Tambellini is in for his toughest challenge as GM…Columbus isn’t going to be easy to catch. Although from what I’ve seen, Tambellini is pretty good at tanking so we can’t count the Oilers out of it just yet. As for the rest of the west, I’d say that only Anaheim, Edmonton and Columbus are out of it at this point.

East

Looks to be some separation between 9th and 10th, but I’d be willing to bet that 11 thru 15 all miss the playoffs.

League

It’s kind of embarrassing to see the Oilers down here.

Pools

Keeper

Yahoo

OKC Barons

The Barons are currently sitting in first in the league, with 59 points in 43 games. There are a few teams sitting back with 56 points.

Ryan Keller leads the team in points with 33 in 41 games (14 goals) but he only sits 29th in scoring. Not surprisingly, OKC goalies sit 3rd and 5th in the league.

Also coach Nelson, Cornet (F), Danis (G), Plante (D) and Keller (F) were named to the AHL All Star game, with Philippe Cornet and Alex Plante being named as starters.

Oil Kings

Oil Kings currently sit 1st in their conference (3rd in the league) with 70 points in 49 games.

Michael St. Croix sits 3rd in league scoring with 77 points in 49 games (31 goals), and Dylan Wruck sits 11th with 64 in 49. Laurent Brossoit is the 4th ranked goalie.

Also, the Oil Kings are rated the 6th best team in the entire CHL rankings. Pretty sweet.

6 Responses to “All Star Monday Morning Standings”

Oh wow, is this one early for this coming Monday?? :P

Anyways, I think it’s silly too if the Oilers are really considering trading Gagner or Peckham. But, it does depend on the return, yes. If Nashville called saying “We’ll take Peckham and Gagner for Weber”, for example, I’d hang up the phone immediately and send it in to the NHL for approval. Anyways, it’s not rumored that they are shopping them, so much as teams are calling about them. So no need to freak just yet. Staples did have a new article up about Leafs interest in Gagner, and what D we should swindle from them. Options suggested were Carl Gunnarsson (I might pick him just because his name is fucking awesome) or Luke Schenn. Both would be good additions to a team that started rebuilding last year (if you believe some of the crazy media trying to suggest that).

Anyways, it’s pretty clear to see that the rebuild really started in 2007 whether Katz, Lowe or Tambellini (to his credit, he wasn’t involved then) were aware or not. I’m not going to give them credit in this rebuild for fucking up for 4 years (06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 09/10) before this rebuild SUPPOSEDLY started. The notion that it started at the end of last year is ridiculous anyways.

P.S…. added a poll for the question of the week.

2. dawgtoy says:

Racki:
    Oh wow, is this one early for this coming Monday??

P.S…. added a poll for the question of the week.

You won’t convince me that the rebuild started the year after we made it to the Stanley cup finals. You won’t convince me that the rebuild started in ’07, and trading for Heatley in ’09 is not a move indicative of a team in rebuild mode. I’d say the team had beliefs that the rebuild was inevitable by the summer of ’08, and given the injuries of ’09 it became a no brainer. I could be convinced that the Oilers management had a notion that rebuild was inevitable, but the Heatley trade remains as evidence of management not being convinced. I voted ’09 for the true beginning of formal rebuild mode. Do you remember the optimism that surrounded the team the summer going into ’08. Rookie line and the late season run made people think we had something special going into ’08. Injuries and the sophomore jinx reared it’s ugly head. Then I’d say management first realized a true rebuild was necessary.

That’s sensible reasoning, Dawgtoy, however I’ll direct you to the quote from Kevin Lowe back in 2007 when he said “there’s no question we’re back in a rebuilding situation” (credit Lowetide).

If anything, I would say that they’ve been floundering around cluelessly not 100% committed to winning, not 100% commited to a rebuild, or perhaps just plainly not knowing how to rebuild. I think some people associate a rebuild with the way a team like Pittsburgh and others have rebuilt – sucking horrendously bad for a long while. Rebuilding to me more implies out with the old, in with the new… although having a few high first rounders as part of your “new” isn’t so bad.

Anyways, I’m not sold that the Pittsburgh rebuild was ever really a plan for them. I think they’ve been trying to rebuild the team for a while now (when Kevin Lowe said it seems like a good starting point), and in those couple of years where we sunk to the bottom of the barrel, it wasn’t planned.. but they committed to not doing anything to get our of there. That’s when this rebuild probably showed some promise however, since being the #1 loser means you also get the number 1 (or 2 thanks to the lottery) pick, which of course is generally a special player.

Anyways, saying this is year 2 of the rebuild (not what you are saying.. what others like Jim Matheson have said) is beyond ridiculous. I can half buy 2009 as the starting point, but I’d say thats maybe just when they got more effective in it, thanks to some horrible hockey and bad luck with injuries.

4. dawgtoy says:

Let me simplify my point now that my wife and kids arent distracting me. I feel that at no point in time in 2007 was this team in rebuild mode. I’d agree somewhat, that at the conclusion of the 2007/08 season, management had to see trouble on the horizon. In saying that I realize that there are more methods of rebuilding and retooling a team then the yard sale sell everything with a pulse for picks method. I just don’t buy that Ryan Smyth being traded started the rebuild. The season ends strong, rookie line plays very well, but again no playoffs. The off season brings two attempted RFA signings as UFA stay away from Edmonton, and succeed with Penner. Souray is the big UFA signing, and I distinctly remember people being optimistic about 2008. That optimism didn’t last long, and I’d agree that the cracks started to form, but barring the sale of the team to the Drugstore moneybags kingpin, the fully and completely full scale rebuild couldn’t and didn’t occur. Of course that being said, KLowe hiring Tambo signaled a loud and clear message that Edmonton was in full scale rebuild mode, did it begin earlier, I’d say yes…but not 2007 early…IMO one season removed from the SCF, not that early….no way.

I can see there easily being an argument for anywhere between now and a few years ago. I think Lowe’s words state otherwise and that 2007 was the beginning, but their actions seem to contradict that, yes, for sure (I say though that it was more of a case of a quasi-rebuild where hey hadn’t really fully committed and thought “OK, maybe we don’t have to do this” when Gagner and Cogliano and Nilsson showed a glimmer of promise). My main point with that first comment in this post though was that it was ridiculous for the media (Tencer and Matheson in particular) to buy in that this is year 2 of the rebuild. That actually floors me that they would be suggesting that this is only the 2nd year.

I think the Oilers didn’t really have a good sense of how they wanted to rebuild, exactly, is all.

6. dawgtoy says:

Completely agree with what you’ve stated and obviously agree/understand based on the KLowe quote that this organization really shit the bed during those years. No farm team was a completely bone headed move to name one, but i agree they really sent mixed reviews as to what the organization was doing. You start with trading Smyth, that being a clear message of rebuilding, followed by signing Penner and Souray which demonstates the opposite. So I’d completely agree that they were clueless as to which direction to turn. I’d also agree that the two year rebuild timeline doesn’t wash either. It had begun before drafting Hall, no doubt about that. So yeah we agree on the fact the rebuild started well before the MSM say it did.