Monday Morning Standings

By , December 14, 2011 8:40 am

I might start watching that show Chuck

Oiler news

From the looks of it, Hall + Potter will be back next game, can they help turn the suck off?; Sutton got 8 games, which is less than I expected. That is good I suppose.

League news

HBO 24/7 tonight! I am way to excited about this show; Kurtis Foster was traded from Anaheim to the Devils along with Timo Pielmeier for Rod Pelley, Mark Fraser and a 7th; Terry Murray was fired from Kings, and all of the rumors are currently saying Darryl Sutter may be hired as his replacement; Concussion problems in the league? Crosby, Giroux, Pronger and possibly Skinner are all missing games currently with the concussion bug. I personally think that it’s no higher than it usually is, we just are better at diagnosing it. Oh, and Crosby is the one hurt. Once he’s healthy it won’t be a problem again; Tampa signed Miettinen, who was then claimed by Winnipeg on waivers; In case you didn’t know, the Laffs were sold to Bell/Rogers. Now expect TSN and Sportsnet to be even more Toronto oriented (much like CBC now, which might actually have to find out about the other teams in the league); Anisimov scored a goal, celebrated, and Tampa got it’s panties in a bunch again. Doesn’t anyone realize that only they can have fun.; Vancouver is continuing to be little bitches about everything (hits by Foligno, general douchebagness), and yet wonder why no one likes them.

World Junior news

Final cuts today, and Bunz did not make the team. Too bad, but I think he let in a couple weak ones in the last game, and the goaltending battle was pretty tight. Here is the final roster. Oil King Pysyk made the team so that’s good.

Football news

Don’t normally include football in this here blog, however we are Esks fans and therefore – Ricky Ray got traded for sweet fuck all…what the fuck! This is bullshit. Stupid fucking move. I don’t like it if you can’t tell.

Question of the week

With the Ricky Ray trade, Terry Jones called out the Eskimo management for making a terrible trade…why can’t anyone in the media do the same for the Oilers? It’s like the team has pictures of all of them in compromising situations.

Fight of the week

As a little bonus, here are OKC Barons and Oil Kings updates!

Barons

The Barons are currently 1st in their conference with 39 points. In fact, that puts them first in the league. Record currently sits at 19-7-0-1. Might be time to send the Oilers down to see what winning on a regular basis looks like. Interestingly enough, they have done this with team scoring as their highest scorer is Ryan Keller who sits 31st in the league scoring (21 in 27 games). Well, their goalie David LeNeveu sits 4th in goalies so I’m sure that helps. Yann Danis sits 9th. Crazy enough, but Alex Plante sits 7th in team scoring with 10 points.

Oil Kings

And the Edmonton Oil Kings also sit first in their conference with 45 points (25-8-1-2). Michael St. Croix leads the team in scoring with 46 in 32 games, and sits 9th in league scoring. Laurent Brossoit is currently 3rd in the league in goaltending.

And on to the standings:

Conference

West

I suppose I should get used to seeing the Wild up this high in the standings. Everything else seems right, maybe having St. Louis so high up there is kinda odd (then again, I didn’t expect to see Anaheim at the very bottom). Oilers are only 2 points out of 8th (plus would need the tie break), but considering how well all the teams ahead of them are playing they will be in tough for the rest of the season.

East

Seeing Washington that low was not something I’d expect to see this year, but with that goal differential we shouldn’t be surprised. Interesting enough, look at the GDiff at the entire east, those top 4 teams just feast on the rest.

League

Pretty big bunch up around 11th to 25th. And a grouping between 2nd and 10th.

Pools

Keeper

Yahoo

10 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

On Vancouver being bitches… I had to laugh at Mad Mike Milbury on Saturday. He was commenting on it and said that everyone hates them because “they say stuff at the wrong time, they embellish stuff, and they are tough to handle (tough to tolerate)”.

This isn’t the first time he’s attacked them, but I gotta laugh, because it’s true and far more honest than CBC would normally allow. You just know the ‘nucks fans are in an uproar over that one.

Mad Mike is a dummy, but that’s a pretty funny statement to make.

2. Trogdor says:

Better add Milan Michalek to the concussion parade. Pitkanen too it would seem.

So with Hall and Potter both back now for tomorrow (not 100% confirmed, but the media seems to figure they will be), someone has to go down.

Choices are Paajarvi, Teubert or Petrell.

Most people would probably say Teubert. I can agree with that. I definitely wouldn’t say Petrell though. My choice would also be Paajarvi, since I don’t think he’s going to get the ice time he needs to really get the confidence going.

4. Grass&sOIL says:

Petrell is really a perfect 4th liner, Is physical and is also a great PKer. He defiantly stays in the lineup.

5. hemmerlady says:

22nd? How did we go from 3rd to 22nd? I mean for what other reasons than our spectacular defensive collapse and perennial injury plague.

Normally I zone out during Sportscentre’s CFL coverage, however due to former-Edmontonian curiosity, I perk up to hear how the Esks are doing. I neither know nor care much about the CFL. But trading Ricky Ray for no discernible return seems like a galactically stupid move. I wouldn’t say Gretzky proportions but that’s a pretty raw deal for Esks fans.

(Spellchecker disagrees with usage of “galactically” but I reference A. Sorkin):

6. dawgtoy says:

dawgtoy:

I agree, I think Tillman did this with intent on bringing in another starting QB by some other means, which in the big picture might end up being a good thing for the esks if we are able to add more depth and be more well rounded, however, the return still sucks, Ray is worth far more than what we got.

Man, fuck Sutton. Bastard concussed the Raiders #1 forward this year. He should be suspended until Skinner comes back.

Steve-O:
    Man, fuck Sutton.Bastard concussed the Raiders #1 forward this year.He should be suspended until Skinner comes back.

Priorities, you bastard.

10. John says:

dawgtoy: My two cents on the RR trade is as follows, though the return was terrible, it addresses the need for a Canadian kicker and dumps a ton of salary. Second pick overall will obviously bring some more much needed Canadian content. I’d have to say you don’t make such a brash move without having a plan. Personally I’ve been frustrated with Ricky Ray and was neither surprised nor upset by it. My guess is Jyles was brought in to replace Joseph, not Ray. So I’d say much more is in store.

I agree, Tillman could be accused of many things but he has a hell of a sense for football & there is no way he trades RR with the expectation that Jyles is the new #1 QB. My biggest fear is that he is waiting for Calgary to release Burris before they have to pay him his bonus in February (I think?), but not sure if that would exclude Edmonton from having to pay it. As sick as that would make me feel there is not exactly a glut of #1 CFL QB’s sitting around waiting for job openings so unless Tillman has got some young hotshot U.S. college phenom lined-up to come here then Burris makes the most sense. That would make me puke but I bet he’d play awesome against the Stampeders! ;)