Oilers 4, Wild 1 – Game 34 – 2011-12-22 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNET

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Minnesota Wild
logo vs. logo
14-16-3 Record 20-10-5
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 22, 2011 @ 7:30 MST
TV: SNET ONE

Right now it sounds like Hemsky is doubtful for tonights game (sick). The media seems to still want to bash him for his practice commitment (or lack of). It is what it is though. And well, if he’s sick, he’s sick. So if he doesn’t play, then I think the Oilers will go with the line up below. Otherwise I’m going to assume that there will be a fair difference in the 3rd/4th lines given that Gagner, Lander and Jones skated in practiced together yesterday.

Khabibulin starts tonight, which is at least good. Should be a tough game, although they all seem to be these days.

OILERS LINES (per 630 Ched)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Jones
Eager – Belanger – Gagner
Hordichuck – Lander – Petrell

Smid – Gilbert
Whitney – Potter
Peckham – Petry

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

14 Responses to “Oilers 4, Wild 1 – Game 34 – 2011-12-22 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNET”

1. Grass&sOIL says:

I like Petrell and all but I think we already have 2 very capable penalty killers in Jones and Belanger so I wouldn’t mind seeing him sent down just to try Antti Tyrvainen for a bit (this would be the perfect game to do so). IMO the type of game that Ty brings is one of the missing ingredients of this team right now. We need an agitator type that will get under the other teams skin.

He just got back into the Barons lineup after missing some time with an injury (shoulder I think ???) so maybe give him a few more down there but from what I can tell he is playing fairly well for the barons (both pre injury and after). I don’t know? I loved him in camp and would really like to see him be given a few games here as I think he brings more of what we need then Petrell does at this point in time.

I really like Tyrvainen too, so I’d be game for that idea. But I like Petrell’s PK contributions too, so even if we do have Belanger and Jones, I’m perfectly fine with stacking the PK a bit more. But yah, Tyrvainen is a decent, tough little bugger.

3. oilinblood says:

Petrell isnt an issue so why change? there are guys on this team that are issues that can be shown the door/press box/ minors.
    why are we sinking? simply because the team as a whole needs to buy in and this team has weak links that werent around at the beginning. puck possession teams dont employ people who are incapable of making basic defensive zone coverage decisions. That is the difference between the oilers and legitimate NHL teams.

This team needs the whole roster doing and executing the system over 60 minutes and all 3 zones or it will lose. 80% of nhl players can play all 3 zones within the instructions of a coach, those teams choosing to employ and waste roster spots on slackers who cant grasp team concepts will be forever behind the 8 ball.
    Why is Detroit good? They dont play players who cant be a strong link in their chain. They turn players into great two way players or great ahl players who are used as trade fodder. one or the other. play the system and execute it or get out. this is the nhl.
    eventually players will crack and the dressing room will become rifted due to certain players costing the team on a regular basis.

as for rackis decision about bailing now and selling or becoming buyers. If tambi actually knows how to make a trade that can help now (instead of leaning on stu for futures scouting), than he should pull a deal now. whitney hasnt been as sharp as we are used to seeing him but he isnt costing the team. There are a few assets we could deal to make some upgrades to our 2011-2012 roster.
    eventually players will get sick of playing on the islanders west. You have to actually commit to winning now at some point. this isnt a full buy in year…all i feel we need is addition by subtraction and choose carefully the piece or pieces you choose to aquire in the deals. not going to win the cup or anything this year but i think another tall body with decent iq might be what we need.
    I am hoping to see lander and jones, although i really think jones amyth and horcs work well together.

oilinblood:

Whoa, better phrase that bolded part properly :P

It was a question, not a decision. My choice is actually NOT to tank again this year and to do everything they can to turn the team around. I actually had a short couple of comments with Jonathan Willis on Twitter about it when he suggested the Oilers tank again since they are barely above a 1st-overall pick shot again. I said that we should be trying everything we can to win because the morale boost would go a long way. He replied with “so you’re saying you’d rather have a 9th pick with a morale boost over a 2nd with no morale boost?”, to which I replied yes.

The time is definitely now to be instilling a winning attitude in everyone. There are eventually diminishing returns from scooping up shit loads of top 5 picks. However, if we show the league that we are winners and trying to be a good team rather than habitual losers, I think that will go a longer way (helps in attracting free agents, keeping players we have, getting rid of the sulky/woe-is-me attitude).

5. oilinblood says:

sorry rack…i know it was a question and believe that a secondary conversation got fumbled into my typed statement.

you and i are on the same page. i find it interesting that no one seems to understand that hall and ebs and high picks are winners and they wont choose to be on a losing team that accepts losing. these players count championships and if you cant offer one their eyes will be looking to other horizons very very quickly.

not to mention that i dont think we need a huge change. in a way you can use some assets now to get a top pick talent who is in the nhl or nhl ready now. our cupboards are pretty stocked and people keep forgetting that. our rookies and young players have been the most dependable on both sides of the puck. infact if it was between omark and hemsky i love omarks tenacity in getting pucks back and taking responsibility over hemskys shrug and grabbing at his shoulder after poor shifts and give-aways. we have a few assets like hamilton, pitlick, omark, magnus, and tobias rieder to add on to a hemsky package.

but you need to do it before jan 1st i believe. we cant slip much further.

As i have said…id love to flip top picks…especially right now. i dont like being rewarded for being the worst. worse than the islanders for gods sake.

just because i hate toronto (but i dont mind the leafs since cujo left)

bah

6. Grass&sOIL says:

I would rather improve and not be in the top 5 at the draft. I do not want to fall into the NYI trap, ask them what being a perennial lotto team has done for them…

7. oilinblood says:

stupid question but what is the interest in aquiring the rights to radulov? re-aquiring penner?

8. dawgtoy says:

You must watch the movie Trailer for the hockey movie Goon, it’s funny. As for tonight, after the first … so far so good.

9. Grass&sOIL says:

Thanks for making me look like a fool Petrell :) I am watching the game on delay :)

Penner yes, Radulov absolutely not.

11. dawgtoy says:

Racki:
    Penner yes, Radulov absolutely not.

Agree on both, Penner could be had cheap, and he might come back to life here. If he could spark Hemsky at the same time, that would be outstanding.

12. Grass&sOIL says:

dawgtoy:

Yeah I was reading about that in THN’s list of top ten hockey movies of all time. http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/43702-THNcom-Top-10-Best-hockey-movies.html For some freaking reason they left Youngblood ofo of the list yep have Sudden Death(which really isn’t a hockey movie) on the list. Seems to me that THN is losing credibility daily.

I would have put The Love Guru on that list too as a personal preference. I though it was funny as hell plus how can you go wrong with Jessica Alba in a hockey movie?.

Can’t wait to see Goon!!!

Yah I watched that Goon trailer yesterday too.. looks good. Thanks for the heads up, Dawgtoy!

14. hemmerlady says:

Eberle has made some more sweet moves lately. Can’t say enough good things about the kid line really. I’m happy with the shot count last night. Good way to lead into what looks like a bit of a grueling road trip.

I’m excited for WJHC but disappointed I don’t get to go to a game. Oh well. Lead us to glory this year, Jaden Schwartz. Make sure the team plays 60 minutes too.