Oilers 2, Red Wings 3 – Game 33 – 2011-12-19 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNET

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Detroit Red Wings
logo vs. logo
14-15-3 Record 20-10-1
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 19, 2011 @ 7:30 MST
TV: SNET

On paper, the Oilers should get smoked horribly. I’m not so sure they won’t, but the Oilers seem to have a habit of showing up for big games like these. But the Red Wings are a killer force this year, just like they are every year. They had a slow start to the season, but they seem to have found their game. The Oilers are definitely catching them at a bad time. Not that there is necessarily a good time for the Oilers to catch any team.

Khabibulin will get the start tonight.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Hemsky
Gagner – Belanger – Jones
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Smid – Gilbert
Whitney – Potter
Peckham – Petry

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

19 Responses to “Oilers 2, Red Wings 3 – Game 33 – 2011-12-19 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNET”

Done exams, I can enjoy hockey again. Lowetide brought up an interesting comment, something along the lines of how many current Oilers Defnsemen do you think would make it out of Detroits training camp, playing as a regular on the blue?

It would sure be nice to have an elite, number one D-man, calming the storm on this young Oilers team.

Not everyone can be privileged enough to have one of the best D-man to ever play the game ;)

3. Grass&sOIL says:

I will at this one so I hope the team plays up to its competition as it has more often then not this year. To me a meeting with the Wings is exactly what the doctor ordered.

On the flip side of the Dmen debate. How would some of our current blueliners be preforming if they wore the Redwing? If Gilbert for one was on the Wings he would probably be approaching elite status as of now.

4. NorwegianOiler says:

Gilbert, Whitney, Smid – would all make the Red Wings. Lidström, Kronwall, Stuart would make up the rest. You might argue that White should be in there, but he is in my opinion riding a streak of his career, playing at a level he didn’t show with any of his former teams. Kindl is a bit too young yet, Ericsson too error prone. Though, with his current level of play, Whitney shouldn’t make any NHL team. He’d come around fast along side someone like Lidström…

And we’ll get run over again tonight. Because our defense isn’t playing well enough on their own, and the cohesive team defense has gone bye bye. Funny that. At least Eberle and The Nooge are great fun to watch!

I agree, NorOil. Very good points… especially with the way Gilbert and Smid are playing these days. They’ve been quite reliable. Although I will say that I haven’t really been fully sold on Whitney, even back last year when people were really in love with him. Didn’t find him completely reliable in his own zone. But that said, he’s still a very good option for top 4 on a team.

And I also agree on the team defense… that was what was winning them games early in the season… then suddenly around 20 games in or so, that completely fell out of our plans. Not sure what the heck happened. Maybe Renney is trying to help us along in getting Nail Yakupov :P I kid. But really, this team does best when it is playing a tight, strong defense. Yah, it isn’t pretty.. but that’s how you win games sometimes. The trade off of having a high flying offense with these kids is that we also get buckets of goals scored against us.

Haha no longer Fail for Nail it’s Dig for Grig! At this rate we might get a shot at Dumba, it would sure be nice to add him or Slater Koekkoek though (even with his shoulder). I’d much rather have Weber though or even Suter though.

I’ll still happily take Alex Galchenyuk, who had a huge slide due to injury. Although wingers aren’t really on our list of top needs. But we do have some great D prospects coming down the pipe too. Klefbom and Marincin, of course…. plus Martin Gernat who is tearin’ the Dub up… same with Brandon Davidson (although admittedly I didn’t think he was that good of a prospect until he showed really well this year offensively).

I would totally take a “risk” (which I don’t think even really exists) and jump at the opportunity to draft Galchenyuk if he really sits that low in the draft. Great all-around potential.

He was a top 5 pick and is now 18th because of the knee injury. Yah, knees can be a bitch though. I would still give it a go, if he’s there when we pick, assuming we pick 10th or later.

8. Alan-NottsUK says:

I still have a feeling Hemsky will end up in Washington for the Avs 1st and we’ll end up with 2 good picks in the first round of this draft

9. hemmerlady says:

You know it’s not good when we’re talking about next year’s draft picks.

What do we have to do to get a #1 D man, seriously. I have no more patience left for this. We need a Pronger, but less douche-y.

oh yeah, about Pronger being out for the season…normally I would be breaking out the sour grapes, but I don’t want to see that kind of devastating injury happen to anybody. And despite his douchery he’s an excellent D-man. They need to make the gear better and quick. Other than that, I dunno…

HL: lol, no… draft picks are always a topic, no matter how a team is doing. This looks like a great draft year (again), so there is a lot to talk about. And we’re not just talking about the top 3 guys here.

11. hemmerlady says:

…well we’re sucking right now so I just assumed…
    :p

12. Grass&sOIL says:

Well even though I am feeling pretty dejected about the team lately I still see some positives with the performance last night. Most notably I thought the pairing of Pecks & Petry had a real strong game.

13. John says:

14. oilinblood says:

Well *looks at watch*, it is decmeber so the draft talk is well timed going into the world juniors.

this team is not as bad as people make it out to be. We still need a centre in my opinion and really Lander should be that guy or go to the A. I think Gags is better on the wing, hemsky is better in the press box, and belanger is better as a 4th c who gets pk and shutdown time.

The newspapers are really going after the vets in smyth horcoff and hemsky but personally i see smyth and horcoff making some errors and horcoffs usual whiffs but nothing in comparison to the blatant fail of hemsky. He has got to sit. since hemskys arrival this team has gotten more fragile on the ice (in a turn over way- Mr. Mo).

belanger isnt a problem; no one in their right mind thought this guy was going to put up points. Horcoffs touch is never coming back.

I would like to see lander get some 2c time for a full game or two or be sent back to the a.

When is Tambi going to actuallly do a trade to acquire a valuable asset to invest in the present?
    btw i dont for a second believe hemsky would get us a 3rd straight up never mind a 1st. he has looked defeated and washed up to the audiene of the entire nhl. outplayed by the tots.
    i dont take back my opinion that we should trade our first pick for help now (not short term ufa help though…obviously a long term piece) IF THE PIECE WE NEED IS AVAIL. Despite the fact we are free falling, i dont think thisteam is as full as holes as a 30th place finish would suggest. I like our defense but weber is the prize horse and our top pick looks pretty tasty. the rumors i hear are mostly from nucks fans saying he wants to sign with van because of kelowna… but calgary is closer to kelowna than van and van wouldnt fit him in cap wise.

15. oilinblood says:

John: Even though I am dissapointed in the loss, I have few complaints about that game. I have gone on record as stating that as long as the Oilers play a good game (especially against top opponents), then that is all I can ask of my team so “good game boys!!” Lets hope for the sake of team moral they can squeeze out a win soon though.

other than hemsky, i an say that i believe this team competes with a good consistency and for the most part i think all of us know what to expect out of each player and that SHOULD make a coaches job VERY EASY. The vets especially are robots at this point going through their program. you can try to throw them some where new but what works is whats always worked.

oilinblood: hemsky is better in the press box

I think you might be insane, or watching a different game from me.

But I’m biased.

Hemsky’s own mother probably isn’t even that biased.

18. oilinblood says:

Steve-O: I think you might be insane, or watching a different game from me.Now, my man-crush for Hemsky is nearing Jason Smith levels so I am biased, however more nights than not Hemsky has been one of the better Oilers on the ice (specifically last game, where Hemsky and Eberle were the best Oiler forwards).Points are down this year, but so is his ice-time (specifically PP) where the kids are getting the push (not that I disagree, that Nuge to Eberle seam pass is golden). When Hall is in one of his slumps do we want him benched, or do we want him to work his way out? I think at the very least, Hemsky has earned the chance to play out of any slump, considering he’s been the best fucking oiler for the last few years.But I’m biased.

respectfully disagree in entirety. good stand out player for a few games here and there when healthy but i have to go back 3 or 4 years to think of him consistent and healthy. ive acknowledged hemsky looking good with rnh in game 1 vs pens but i had to admit it was more because of rnh than hemmer (at the time this was a hard admittance since i pegged rnh as having to go back to jr). Since he has gotten back from the last bandaid treatment he has been a turnover machine –with ALOT of those in defensive zone and almost never having his man. On a team with such a mediocre and shallow defense core, anyone not playing with full team first buy-in to the system AND the IQ to execute the system should be sent to mars. That is what is expected of a pro… rookie or 10 year vet.

best oiler last year — whitney when healthy bar none. HM to penner
    best oiler year before ? — penner hands down

but they were 30th place teams… there is no best player on a 30 place team.

this is not anti-hemsky propaganda. this is evaluation watching the system and a players role in it and whether a veteran leader of a decade is buying in (or maybe is buying in but not able to do the basics of executing). personally i have to wonder if his play has made him that guy in the room that gets those side glances from the other players. if you have been part of hockey you know the side glances you give to other players who seem to lose their coverage, save their energy for offensive chance, and rarely rise up. This was a better team without hemsky than it is currently with him.
    Now i had been hoping that the hemsky i saw last season would return and play this new system and once the offensive zone was entered would make sweet music of goal horns with rnh or hall or eberle or list goes on, but you have to take care of your own zone first to get to the offensive. The vet hemsky i saw last year has taken two full steps back and is looking like less of a player AND LESS OF A PRO than kids that cant grow facial hair. The ability of the kids to be offensive while being dependable within their zone, coverage, and system is really casting a huge magnifying glass over the major lackings in hemskys game. personally i find it a funny joke through comparison.

i go to every game here and watch every game away.

I will acknowledge that OIB is likely certifiable, however, I think Hemsky hasn’t been anywhere near his usual self. The thing with him though is he was generally our best offensive weapon for years. We accept the fact that he isn’t exactly spectacular defensively because he made up for it with offense. This year that offense hasn’t even been there, and he’s really just eating up minutes. It’s a problem. I am not saying he needs to be gone or anything though, but maybe he needs a whole lot less minutes or something until he’s fully healed (if he really is hurt… Renney doesn’t sound so confident he is one moment, but changed his tune the next.. so I don’t know) or at least plays better.

I thought he looked good in the Detroit game though.. was starting to return to form. So we’ll see.. maybe it will all come back (until his next injury).