Oilers 0, Flames 3 – Game 30 – 2011-12-10 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

GDT - Battle Of Alberta - Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames
logo at logo
14-12-3 Record 13-13-2
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 10, 2011 @ 8:00 MST
TV: CBC

The Oilers have had their struggles, as of recent, with winning a number of games in a row, and winning the big games. The Flames have always been a thorn in our sides, and there really HASN’T been a Battle of Alberta in years. It’s been more of a free bingo spot on the card for the Calgary Flames vs. us, as this team rolls over. Tonight, I’d like to see the Oilers finally show their fans what they’re made of and no longer use the “tired” excuse and just go out and win one against the one team that we’ve always wanted them to dominate.

The rumor out there (still unconfirmed) is that Andy Sutton is getting 10 games. Yikes. I hope not. But that will give the Oilers some opportunity to see whether they have depth at the defense position too, or not. Corey Potter also should be back soon enough, but I’d like to see them give Kirill Tulupov a shot. That likely won’t happen, although at least it appears that he’s saying the right things right now, which could give him a little favor with those partly in charge of this part of his career.

No concrete word on line ups just yet, but I’d imagine that Devan Dubnyk will get the start, since Nikolai Khabibulin played last night (and played quite well, I might add). Both Ben Eager and Darcy Hordichuk are in, and word is they will be on different lines. Not sure who they will remove (my money is on Paajarvi). The rest of the line up should remain the same, since these guys had quite a good game.

Let’s hope for more of this complete game stuff from the Oilers again tonight.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Gagner – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Hemsky
Eager – Belanger – Jones
Hordichuk – Lander – Petrell

Smid – Gilbert
Whitney – Petry
Peckham – Teubert

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

15 Responses to “Oilers 0, Flames 3 – Game 30 – 2011-12-10 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

A tip of the hat to Jonathan Willis of Oilers Nation and Bruce McCrudy of the Cult Of Hockey. They talked about an increase in powerplay time for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins yesterday. The last two games he’s seen the most powerplay ice time on the team, and deservedly. Yesterday, in particular, Tom Renney double-shifted “The Nuge” on the powerplay, which was great to see.

There is no one more dangerous on this team. No one. I liked Willis’ “play him until he drops” comment. Indeed. This kid is our powerplay workhorse, and I’m certain he can handle the minutes.

Moreau has been assigned to the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL.

Also, unconfirmed about Hordi and Eager both playing tonight. I thought Jason Gregor was saying they both would, but actually Paajarvi will be a game-time decision.

I’d like to see both Hordi and Eager play. I’d like to see them play a few minutes early on and dominate the physical play as quickly as they can.

Still an unknown as to which goalie will get the start too.

3. John says:

Pretty concerned about yet another back to back scenario but the Oil did play really well last night so here’s hoping they can carry it over & get an early jump on the Flames. Heading to the Broke Back Dome in @ 2 1/2 hrs proudly rocking my Eberle jersey so I hope I can hold my head up high when I leave this time ;)

4. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:
    Moreau has been assigned to the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL.

Still an unknown as to which goalie will get the start too.

I just hate how so many Oiler fans still rip Ethan. Yes his last few years here were not his greatest moments in an Oiler jersey but the guy gave his all to the team and the fans here and was the hardest working guy on the team for many of those years.

5. oilinblood says:

i counted 6 brutal giveaways by hemsky, as well as being a part of 3 terrible changes.

hemsky out, hordichuk in

6. hemmerlady says:

-we’re playing like crap. It’s not good. Special teams=suck.
    -we’re taking retarded penalties again. The look on Renney’s face after Petry took the tripping penalty said it all.
    -Looks like Smid may have lost whatever teeth he has left.
    -Horcoff looks sluggish. Smytty too.
    -My ‘boyfriend’ is lacking in energy, foresight, spark. Maybe he’s been tentative not because he’s hurt, but because he doesn’t want to re-injure his shoulder. When you’ve had a chronic injury (I have), the fear of it coming back is pretty major. Other than that, I have no idea what could be eating him.

-Arggggggh.

I am sofa king sick of losing to divisional rivals, but especially the flames…holy geezus I’m pissed off right now.

I’m also sick of hearing the excuse of back to back games…the team is loaded with youth and elite athletes that train hard…it’s no damn excuse.

I think Scott Oake said the Flames won 17 of the last 19 games. That’s incredible. Add to that all the problems we’ve had with Minnesota. I’m sure the record against Vancouver isn’t much better. Can’t wait for that new conference where only 4 teams in each division make it… we’re fucked. :P

9. John says:

$280 on tickets, parking & drinks plus 4 1/2 hrs out of my life to watch Gagner body check the penalty box, see Kipper & Iginla put on a show, then get razzed by dozens of drunk Flamer fans all the way back to the truck… EFF ME!!! That is all.

10. oilinblood says:

im not cam cole or terry jones kind of mad — im not gonna question the players effort because i dont think i have to. But im done with try. this team better get some changes made because this rebuild word is done. we are done with that cop out. now its management time.

I stand up for horcoff alot but i have hated his play in the last two games. the last game against calgary the rib shot did hurt him. the way he skated and moved showed my that his ribs on that side were extremely tender and i still see some minor change in how he skates with his upper body. enough excuses though. he needs to stop having plays end on his stick when he has a shot. someone needs to give him glasses and i really am starting to believe my friends theory about his stick possibly not being right. its strange because after my buddy mentioned that… renney talked about hemskys stick being too skinny 2 days after my friends observation and how renney has asked him to use a firmer stick but doesnt want to interfere.

shit i just realized how sexual that all sounded.

anyways. i loved gags game against the lowly what are they calleds, he actually looked like he got paid a million bucks a year to play. smid is the stanhdout of all these games. rnh really has issues with calgary when i believe calgary is EXACTLY the kind of team he should excel at beating. calgary actually opens up alot and they have speed and know it so you can catch them when they use it. also, their idea of pressure is to double their engagement which if you can count cards on the ice quickly enough and have teammates with simple hockey iq… you can beat them at that and even manipulate them into double coverages.

calgary is exactly the type of team we should be able to skate with and not look so damn pathetic. after the game against the watchacallthems … eager looked good and i would have thrown him out with rnh and gags or ebs for a couple shifts as a reward tonight. he had a nice shift in the first and had legs. big body like that to open room or bang bodies on the top line for a couple shifts would be a nice reward and keep him engaged.

i feel bad for magnus. this slup of the oilers is not his fault aqand i thought he showed good chemistry with lander.

i dont like the coaching. the blender went off today when it should have…no doubt. but the combos renney threw out made zero sense to me.+

my apologies to hemmer lady and to hemmer himself but he has been unworthy of a roster spot. id be ok with him gaffing plays for 2 or 3 games to recover… but this has gone on long enough. remember how penner played well on pretty much any line? hemsky has killed lines that were going strong. i dont think there is any market for that guy. personally i had high hopes for hemmer to play rnh’s right side and thought they would work well since it looked like they had chemistry against the pens with some hot plays.

if hemsky doesnt sit soon and this keeps up i think katz must be telling renney what to do (hemmer and kats are friends)

sorry to hear that john. this team honestly has stupid sick talent and i dont think they have the strategist to harness it. I also dont like that the bench doesnt seem to talk much unless its to the coach. when i watch detroit its like they never shut up on the bench. even red wings hands are waving around as they communicate stuff to players on the bench or yell at players on the ice. i dont think the oilers should keep tthis talent quiet. the hockey iq of our rookies out there is higher than our coaches, if you ask me. tanguay or morrison went to the black board during an intermission and shuit his coach up by drawing out plays. flames executed them and won. players need to put their game iq to use. theres a reason renney isnt in the hall as a player. renney can give you prep but you will have to get together as a group and communicate small adjustments so everyone is on the same page. that is what intermissions are for.

Before we all cut ourselves, just figured I’d put a positive spin on things.. despite this loss, the Oilers are still in 10th, and 2 points out of a playoff spot. For a team that everyone figured would marginally improve this year, they’ve been quite good. That said though, I too am beyond tired of losing to Calgary, and hate seeing this team consistently give up points to their own division. But they’re still in OK shape. We knew it wouldn’t be a pretty season this year, but I’d say in some ways it actually has been.

12. Grass&sOIL says:

The biggest positive I see so far this year is that our Barons are absolutely ripping the AHL up. First overall, are 8-2 over their last ten and are in the AHL”s best division that contains the leagues 3 best teams and doing so while having a number of key injuries. This will eventually trickle down to the big team. It is a balanced team too, not one player in the leagues top 40 in scoring.

13. mrgod2u says:

Yet again the well-rested Flames get to play the Oilers on game 2 of a back-to-back. Regardless we need to beat them next time, I do not want to hear another |Flame fan crowing about this…

14. hemmerlady says:

Racki:

yeah, I expected a lot worse really. The start of the season was a major and welcome surprise. I haven’t felt that awesome since the cup run, and before that, the 97 and 98 playoff upsets.

Before the season began, I thought we’d start out horrible and then pull ourselves up to a relatively respectable 9th or 10th finish. However, I had hopes of pulling off an 8th spot miracle and I still believe that’s possible. Especially as Racki says since the WC standings are pretty tight.

Here’s hoping Renney can give the boys a shakeup they need. Especially hemmer, I love ya buddy but you look asleep out there.

Interestingly enough, with the realigned conferences, we’d actually be in a playoff spot. :P